[TUT] - How To Flash Windows Phone 8.0 GDR3 with Windows (Get Rid of Preview for Developers)

Andy Belanger

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, Jeemo, this worked perfectly for me. I have a Win 8.1 x64 system, and I followed the instructions, exactly, with no problems, whatsoever. As soon as I downgraded, the OTA update came right through. Too bad the official update didn't work with PfD, but, whatever...Verizon punishing early adopters who've already had the frustration of dealing with the bugs for 10 months.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
To everyone experiencing issues with the ROM or instructions:

- Redownload the .zip to ensure a clean grab, and try again.
- Follow the instructions carefully.
- Still can't see the instructions? Try downloading from a different connection and/or browser, onto a different drive, and using a different tool to extract the archive.

To everyone experiencing issues with the binary downloader recognizing your phone:

If you REALLY have the drivers installed, and your phone is REALLY in Download Mode, then you either did something wrong earlier on, or you got a bad download, or there is something already on your system that is preventing you from proceeding. Without being there to diagnose the issue, I am not able to help you find a solution. I can, however, suggest some troubleshooting steps:

- Double-check that you are actually in Download Mode. It says it very clearly; you'll know when you're in Download Mode. The binary downloader will NOT recognize your phone otherwise.

- Redownload the .zip to ensure a clean grab, and try again, ensuring that you follow the instructions very carefully.

- It is very possible that although you THINK the driver installed properly, it actually did not (I actually had this problem, at first). Run the SamsungUSBDriver installer again to REMOVE the driver. Reboot your computer (and please keep your device unplugged throughout this process). Run the installer again, and notice how the driver installation software opens up a SECOND installation dialogue. In the new window, it may say that it failed, however, when you press next and the original installer window comes to focus, the original installer claims the installation was successful. If this was your experience, the driver did NOT install properly, and you must follow the steps to install an unsigned driver. Once you are certain that you have the drivers installed properly, reboot again, and proceed with the instructions as normal.

- Still having issues? Try a different USB port and/or cable.

- Still? Try a different computer.

- Still? Make sure the accout you're using is an administrator, and use "Run as Administrator". This should be applied to the installation of drivers, as well as use of the binary downloader.

- Still? Sorry mate, you're gunna have to do some of your own research.

If you are having issues, and you've tried all of this (thoroughly), post any info you can and perhaps someone else who has experienced your issue will be able to help. I wish I could assist more, however I'm not at your computer.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to say thanks. I was on my third windows smart phone when the iPhone came out. It is huge to have a re-flash tool. Was it just our good luck on the timing or did you have an inkling that we would need this to upgrade to official 8.1 from PFD? Thanks again.

Bill

-dunn

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue as Ralph, USB drivers would not install.
Did some digging and it seems to be a reoccuring theme with Win7 X64 machines.
I did finally get it to work by performing the following steps, hope this helps for others:
1. In Device Manager right click on WP device and click "Update Driver Software"
2. Browse My Computer for Driver Software
3. Select Let me pick from a list of driver...
View attachment 99291
4. Select USB Devices
View attachment 99292
5. Select "WinUSB Device" and click Next
View attachment 99293
6. Computer should then pick up Samsung SDB Interface
7. From there the Binary tool should read your device

Hope this helps.

JADAmbra

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm having an issue where the WP8 Binary Downloader, no matter which version I try to use, freezes as soon as I plug in the device, no matter which operating system, computer or driver I use. Anyone have this issue and found a way to solve it? I've installed and restarted, as said, I've tried updating the driver through both driver update and windows update, I've reset the phone, computer, updated the computer, tried Windows XP, 7, 8.1 and 10 and NOTHING is working for me. Please help me out!

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm having an issue where the WP8 Binary Downloader, no matter which version I try to use, freezes as soon as I plug in the device, no matter which operating system, computer or driver I use. Anyone have this issue and found a way to solve it? I've installed and restarted, as said, I've tried updating the driver through both driver update and windows update, I've reset the phone, computer, updated the computer, tried Windows XP, 7, 8.1 and 10 and NOTHING is working for me. Please help me out!

If you tried different computers, then the problem is either your process, your cable, or your phone (physically). Try out a shorter cable.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else notice their signal strength has dropped with the official 8.1 update? Mine is noticeably, if not significantly worse than it was on the Dev Preview 8.1

Dell Wallin

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I tried everything to the tee. I was about to give up, but thought I would try a different usb cord as a last attempt and WaLa, the channel info showed up and the downgrade to stock window phone 8 was a success. Thank you Jeemo for all of your effort!!

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I tried everything to the tee. I was about to give up, but thought I would try a different usb cord as a last attempt and WaLa, the channel info showed up and the downgrade to stock window phone 8 was a success. Thank you Jeemo for all of your effort!!

Yes, oddly enough this utility is particular about which USB port you use.

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Finally biting the bullet. Game saves aren't worth the constant screen not responding to touches after every phone call in the PfD. Just saw a "SAMSUNG UPDATE" in the list, so hopefully that's the firmware updates I've wanted. I also took out the SD card with apps on it before doing anything, we'll see if that helps me keep any settings that weren't backed up to the cloud.

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Less than a day and I'm pretty happy. Changes I've noticed so far, switching from the PfD 8.1 to 8.0 then the official 8.1:

Pros:
  • Screen doesn't go randomly unresponsive to touch (usually after calls) so far
  • Doesn't randomly crash when using the camera / light
  • Added USB settings (prompt for charge vs data)
  • Wireless screen projecting is sweet
  • More apps / game saves were saved than I expected
  • Seems faster

Cons:
  • Can no longer have the "old" sized start screen, (4 small tiles left to right in portrait).
  • Lost some game saves
  • Had to re-download all of the apps which took a while
  • Keeping apps on the SD card didn't work. They show up under Other in Storage Sense, and you're prompted to delete them the first time you try to install a new app to the card
  • Asphalt 7 now renders text all garbled

At this point I've just uninstalled all the games that didn't persist saves, and I'm going to move on to ones I haven't started or did persist.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Tried this method for my wife's phone last night (which I had installed PFD without knowing the issues everyone had). It went well and I updated to the official 8.1 update (8.10.14203 I think). Then I got a notice for another update which was to correct some reboot problem, and when I install that the phone freezes on the Samsung screen when it does the restart as part of the install process. I can't get it out of that by any method other than reusing the tool to go back to 8.0. I thought it was an issue the first time, but it happened the next time as well. Then I tried to do it again but with doing a hard reset at each update level (after the intial 8.0, then the next update to prepare for 8.1, and official 8.1). It still froze when I did the reboot fix update. I have just told her not to let it update if she is prompted, but I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Found my problem... bad sd card. Just by dumb luck I turned it back on after I removed the SIM and sd card and it worked. I let it update fully, and then put them back in. Again it froze on the Samsung screen. By process of elimination I found it to be the sd card. Even after I formatted it, the phone was still freezing on startup. I put in an old 8GB card I had and it worked fine. Amazon is sending me a replacement now. It was a 2 week old Sandisk 64GB card that failed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon