The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-03-2015 03:47 PM
41 12
tools
    Well. I'm planning on staying on windows 8.1 until everything with windows 10 mobile works properly. So my plan was to flash gdr3 wp8.0 with the ativ s csc file, then upgrade to 8.1, so that tethering and mms would work by default. But I don't really know what a csc file is other then carrier information. If there's something else in that file that is important then I don't want to mess it up. I suppose I could always flash back and use the proper csc file, but I just bought the phone and don't want to take chances.
    Honestly, the best, most reliable way to get MMS and Internet Tethering to work on other carriers is to follow the first part of asellite's guide to upgrading to Windows 10, which explains how to hack the registry. But instead of changing the registries he mentions, you use the following registry hacks:

To change your default MMS settings, in the registry editor, navigate to...
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\L egacy
    ADDR =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (NOTE: This address is for T-Mobile. Be sure to use your carrier's MMS address)
    WapPushTechnology = 0
    UAProf = <Blank>
    IMsiAuthenticationToken = <Blank>
    DefaultContentLocationUrl =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (NOTE: Again, this address is for T-Mobile. Be sure to use your carrier's MMS address)

To unlock tethering, navigate to...
    HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings
    EntitlementRequired = 0

To unlock your APN settings, navigate to...
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISp ecific\Default\CellUX
    HideMMSAPN = 0
    HideAPN = 0
    11-19-2015 08:59 AM
    Honestly, the best, most reliable way to get MMS and Internet Tethering to work on other carriers is to follow the first part of asellite's guide to upgrading to Windows 10, which explains how to hack the registry. But instead of changing the registries he mentions, you use the following registry hacks:

ADDR =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (NOTE: This address is for T-Mobile. Be sure to use your carrier's MMS address)
    WapPushTechnology = 0
    UAProf = <Blank>
    DefaultContentLocationUrl =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (NOTE: Again, this address is for T-Mobile. Be sure to use your carrier's MMS address)

EntitlementRequired = 0

HideMMSAPN = 0
    HideAPN = 0

Sounds good. One question I have is, will the registry entries stay when I hard reset?
    11-19-2015 09:02 AM
    Sounds good. One question I have is, will the registry entries stay when I hard reset?
    Glad you asked. No, they will not. Sort of annoying, but once you've done it once, it's pretty easy to do it again. I have the whole process down to ten minutes or so.
    11-20-2015 04:13 PM
    Ah nice. Can't wait to have a chance to try. Damn ativ se takes forever to ship here.
    11-20-2015 04:43 PM
    Random reboots? Can you tell me more about that? Is it something specifically you're doing when it happens?
    I'm not the same poster but I get random reboots on my Ativ SE as well. I'm not sure if we have the same symptoms but these are mine.

Sometimes you'd be doing something, suddenly everything freezes, you'll see the LED charging indicator glow green and the phone abruptly restart. If you were in a photo session, your photos are gone, if you are in WhatsApp and possibly other messaging apps, the last three or so messages of the conversation are gone.

Sometimes it would be so bad that merely adjusting my phone triggers a reboot. Or it could reboot twice within ten minutes. I sorta think it happens more if I use my phone while connected to the charger.

I could usually go for a day or two before it decides to reboot. But I never had rebooting problems on my older Lumia 625 which I handled very clumsily but worked fine until it fell in the sink.
    11-28-2015 12:46 PM
    Glad you asked. No, they will not. Sort of annoying, but once you've done it once, it's pretty easy to do it again. I have the whole process down to ten minutes or so.

Followed the guide, managed to get internet sharing to work, but mms still fails with mms setting used on my ativ s. Any ideas?
    11-29-2015 04:39 PM
    after the official update was pushed to the ativ se it has never been the same for me. it freezes for no reason most the time it freezes right after taking a call and using the maps. i hate it now and i only use it as a backup
    11-29-2015 05:50 PM
    after the official update was pushed to the ativ se it has never been the same for me. it freezes for no reason most the time it freezes right after taking a call and using the maps. i hate it now and i only use it as a backup

Have you tried a hard reset and no restore?
    11-29-2015 06:07 PM
    Have you tried a hard reset and no restore?

yeah both multiple times the one I have now is actually my second ativ se since the first one bricked after the update. I got tired of it a few months ago so it collects dust
    11-30-2015 10:28 PM
    Weird. I'm not having any issues. How long have you had it?
    Last edited by Kevin Houle1; 12-01-2015 at 07:30 AM.
    11-30-2015 10:42 PM
    I got the first one when the ativ se came out. the second one was either march or april
    12-01-2015 07:50 PM
    I got the first one when the ativ se came out. the second one was either march or april

Maybe reflash back to gdr3?
    12-01-2015 09:13 PM
    Anyone knows if the Ativ S will be upgraded to W10 Mobile?
    12-02-2015 06:20 AM
    Anyone knows if the Ativ S will be upgraded to W10 Mobile?

Ativ s or ativ se?
    12-02-2015 06:36 PM

WapPushTechnology = 0
    UAProf = <Blank>

EntitlementRequired = 0

HideMMSAPN = 0
    HideAPN = 0

Hey brad. I've tried to fix mms but for some reason can't get it to work. I've changed all the settings to what you specified except the address I have is http://mms.fido.ca as per my carrier, but its still not working. Any ideas bud? Am I missing something? I got tethering to work, but mms still eludes me. I also unlocked apns so I can put them in manually, but they still don't work. Do I have to change anything in the registry back to make manual apns work?
    12-03-2015 11:56 AM
    Disregard. Rolled back to GDR3, started the process over. didn't bother putting in the addresses or anything, just unlocked tethering, and APNs and then went into the APNs and put them in manually. Its working now.
    Brad Herr likes this.
    12-03-2015 03:47 PM
41 12