Bought an ativ se

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
There's absolutely zero news or rumors on any further support for the Ativ SE so right now the guide is your best option for pursuing Windows 10 Mobile. A lot of people worked really hard on the basis for the guide for many months and they did a great job. I've been running stable for about 2 weeks now. Very minor bugs related to the fact that it's an insider build but no compatibility issues with the upgrade itself. Very happy. Easily a daily driver. Rest easy and follow the instructions closely and your phone will work pretty much perfectly. In my opinion my phone is running much better than when it was on 8.1.1.

Hey ase, I have a question, maybe you can answer it. If I flash back to gdr3, but use the csc file meant for the ativ s (t899m) will it render my phone useless? It has the info I need for my carrier.

asellite

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Hey ase, I have a question, maybe you can answer it. If I flash back to gdr3, but use the csc file meant for the ativ s (t899m) will it render my phone useless? It has the info I need for my carrier.

I wouldn't recommend it. I couple of guys on Reddit used my guide to alter their off carrier phones with different provisioning and bricked their devices. I can't say it would be wise! On top of that the Ativ S isn't supported by Microsoft for the dev preview so if you use the CSC for that and it rewrites registry data you might get shot down by the update server. I'd be interested to hear if that worked though. Let us know if you get brave. Probably shouldn't try it though if it's your daily!

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend it. I couple of guys on Reddit used my guide to alter their off carrier phones with different provisioning and bricked their devices. I can't say it would be wise! On top of that the Ativ S isn't supported by Microsoft for the dev preview so if you use the CSC for that and it rewrites registry data you might get shot down by the update server. I'd be interested to hear if that worked though. Let us know if you get brave. Probably shouldn't try it though if it's your daily!

Well. I'm planning on staying on windows 8.1 until everything with windows 10 mobile works properly. So my plan was to flash gdr3 wp8.0 with the ativ s csc file, then upgrade to 8.1, so that tethering and mms would work by default. But I don't really know what a csc file is other then carrier information. If there's something else in that file that is important then I don't want to mess it up. I suppose I could always flash back and use the proper csc file, but I just bought the phone and don't want to take chances.

asellite

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Well. I'm planning on staying on windows 8.1 until everything with windows 10 mobile works properly. So my plan was to flash gdr3 wp8.0 with the ativ s csc file, then upgrade to 8.1, so that tethering and mms would work by default. But I don't really know what a csc file is other then carrier information. If there's something else in that file that is important then I don't want to mess it up. I suppose I could always flash back and use the proper csc file, but I just bought the phone and don't want to take chances.

CSC isn't always enough. I'm not a programmer, but I'm pretty sure the WP registry needs to reflect that your phone is what you're lying about it being or MS servers wont put out. Someone with more experience would know better than me though :\

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Have you had any issues with GPS flaking out? If you drive around with turn-by-turn, does it stay with you the whole trip? I find the GPS on my SE stalls out regularly, so I end up missing turns because it still thinks I'm miles back and not moving. And there's not even a notification like it can't find a signal, it just thinks I've stopped. This reason alone is why I'm looking at switching phones, which on Verizon might leave me without a decent WP future.

Brad Herr

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

Honestly, the best, most reliable way to get MMS and Internet Tethering to work on other carriers is to follow the first part of asellite's guide to upgrading to Windows 10, which explains how to hack the registry. But instead of changing the registries he mentions, you use the following registry hacks:

To change your default MMS settings, in the registry editor, navigate to...
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\L egacy
ADDR =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (NOTE: This address is for T-Mobile. Be sure to use your carrier's MMS address)
WapPushTechnology = 0
UAProf = <Blank>
IMsiAuthenticationToken = <Blank>
DefaultContentLocationUrl =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (NOTE: Again, this address is for T-Mobile. Be sure to use your carrier's MMS address)

To unlock tethering, navigate to...
HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings
EntitlementRequired = 0

To unlock your APN settings, navigate to...
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISp ecific\Default\CellUX
HideMMSAPN = 0
HideAPN = 0

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, the best, most reliable way to get MMS and Internet Tethering to work on other carriers is to follow the first part of asellite's guide to upgrading to Windows 10, which explains how to hack the registry. But instead of changing the registries he mentions, you use the following registry hacks:

ADDR =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (NOTE: This address is for T-Mobile. Be sure to use your carrier's MMS address)
WapPushTechnology = 0
UAProf = <Blank>
DefaultContentLocationUrl =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (NOTE: Again, this address is for T-Mobile. Be sure to use your carrier's MMS address)

EntitlementRequired = 0

HideMMSAPN = 0
HideAPN = 0

Sounds good. One question I have is, will the registry entries stay when I hard reset?

mageman17

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Random reboots? Can you tell me more about that? Is it something specifically you're doing when it happens?

I'm not the same poster but I get random reboots on my Ativ SE as well. I'm not sure if we have the same symptoms but these are mine.

Sometimes you'd be doing something, suddenly everything freezes, you'll see the LED charging indicator glow green and the phone abruptly restart. If you were in a photo session, your photos are gone, if you are in WhatsApp and possibly other messaging apps, the last three or so messages of the conversation are gone.

Sometimes it would be so bad that merely adjusting my phone triggers a reboot. Or it could reboot twice within ten minutes. I sorta think it happens more if I use my phone while connected to the charger.

I could usually go for a day or two before it decides to reboot. But I never had rebooting problems on my older Lumia 625 which I handled very clumsily but worked fine until it fell in the sink.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Glad you asked. No, they will not. Sort of annoying, but once you've done it once, it's pretty easy to do it again. I have the whole process down to ten minutes or so.

Followed the guide, managed to get internet sharing to work, but mms still fails with mms setting used on my ativ s. Any ideas?

tigermcm

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
after the official update was pushed to the ativ se it has never been the same for me. it freezes for no reason most the time it freezes right after taking a call and using the maps. i hate it now and i only use it as a backup

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
after the official update was pushed to the ativ se it has never been the same for me. it freezes for no reason most the time it freezes right after taking a call and using the maps. i hate it now and i only use it as a backup

Have you tried a hard reset and no restore?

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

WapPushTechnology = 0
UAProf = <Blank>

EntitlementRequired = 0

HideMMSAPN = 0
HideAPN = 0

Hey brad. I've tried to fix mms but for some reason can't get it to work. I've changed all the settings to what you specified except the address I have is http://mms.fido.ca as per my carrier, but its still not working. Any ideas bud? Am I missing something? I got tethering to work, but mms still eludes me. I also unlocked apns so I can put them in manually, but they still don't work. Do I have to change anything in the registry back to make manual apns work?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel