Bought an ativ se

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Subscribing to new thread. Just bought an ativ se. I'm pretty excited. The specs on this thing look impressive. Anyone willing to share their experiences with this phone?

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The specs are quite impressive, right up there with the Lumia Icon in my book. The interface is really smooth with almost ZERO hiccups. My only worry is Samsung support, still yet to hear any details re: W10M and with devices like the One M8 already on preview for developers it leaves me with a few questions especially seeing as this is a more than capable device.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
The specs are quite impressive, right up there with the Lumia Icon in my book. The interface is really smooth with almost ZERO hiccups. My only worry is Samsung support, still yet to hear any details re: W10M and with devices like the One M8 already on preview for developers it leaves me with a few questions especially seeing as this is a more than capable device.

Definitely more then capable. I'm the type of person that would not depend on Samsung support. I'd rather depend on the user base here at wc. I'm perfectly happy with Windows 8.1, but if we end up with w10m, then that's a bonus. :)

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
This phone feels so much better in the hand than the icon or m8. Don't forget to grab a wireless charging insert for a galaxy s4 to get qi, which works flawlessly on mine. The only issues are a sub par camera and a random reboot issue. You can even hack w10 onto it if you want so it is future proof as well. Welcome to the club!

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
This phone feels so much better in the hand than the icon or m8. Don't forget to grab a wireless charging insert for a galaxy s4 to get qi, which works flawlessly on mine. The only issues are a sub par camera and a random reboot issue. You can even hack w10 onto it if you want so it is future proof as well. Welcome to the club!

Random reboots? Can you tell me more about that? Is it something specifically you're doing when it happens?

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Also I'm wondering... Some people mentioned the inability to change mms settings and mobile hotspot not working on other carriers. Is this true?

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Subscribing to new thread. Just bought an ativ se. I'm pretty excited. The specs on this thing look impressive. Anyone willing to share their experiences with this phone?

It's a good phone. I've moved from the ATIV SE to the Icon and finally to the M8. It's a pretty equivalent device to those others - minus the Windows Insider Program. I'd recommend keeping it in a case (I had this one DualPro for Samsung ATIV SE - Verizon Wirelessand loved it) as the silvery paint will peel. Enjoy the phone.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Wife has one and is very happy with it. Only worry about the ability to update to W10M when the time comes, but we will have to wait and see on that.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Went from Nokia 822. Nice improvement. It was one of the very few phones that had a real bad time with developer preview. Although that was greatly mitigated by doing a hard reset. Shortly before the official 8.1 came down through Verizon there was a 3rd party program to blow it back to 8.0. This was a prerequisite to get the official update along with the firmware. You could then do a restore from the backup created in the DP if you wanted. This phone has been perfectly stable since the official update. First, I wonder if this phone will get an insider preview or official update with Microsoft giving all the love to Nokia phones. 2nd I wonder if the update will throw the phone for a loop as it did with DP. When that happened I still was on the 822 and felt for the users on the ATIV-SE especially for those users not too technically inclined. There was no rollback option then. I think many who had neither the time or inclination to deal with the problem got rid of them any way they could. I got mine off eBay and the seller never told me it was on DP. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your phone as much as I have. I also hope we get W10 and that goes well for this phone.

Bill

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Went from Nokia 822. Nice improvement. It was one of the very few phones that had a real bad time with developer preview. Although that was greatly mitigated by doing a hard reset. Shortly before the official 8.1 came down through Verizon there was a 3rd party program to blow it back to 8.0. This was a prerequisite to get the official update along with the firmware. You could then do a restore from the backup created in the DP if you wanted. This phone has been perfectly stable since the official update. First, I wonder if this phone will get an insider preview or official update with Microsoft giving all the love to Nokia phones. 2nd I wonder if the update will throw the phone for a loop as it did with DP. When that happened I still was on the 822 and felt for the users on the ATIV-SE especially for those users not too technically inclined. There was no rollback option then. I think many who had neither the time or inclination to deal with the problem got rid of them any way they could. I got mine off eBay and the seller never told me it was on DP. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your phone as much as I have. I also hope we get W10 and that goes well for this phone.

Bill

Thanks. I appreciate the honesty. :)
Are you on Verizon?

asellite

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Hey WilliamI99. It's looking like a long, long time (if ever) that Samsung will support an Ativ SE upgrade to Windows 10 but I just published a safe and easy to follow guide on upgrading to Windows 10. Definitely check that out. Everything is running smoothly and it unlocks a lot of potential for the device!

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes thanks for the guide aselite. I read it over and actually have a second ativ-se I could try it on. I have ran out of band ROM's before but not for a long time. Very disappointing Verizon not getting the new Windows phone. Was still hoping for a official RTM or at least windows insider upgrade. The phone is very stable on the official release. Have not heard a peep about any upgrade coming ativ-se way. Have you heard anything? It took a ridiculously long time to get 8.11. Your guide is very nice. How long have you been running and how stable is it? Is there any features that are not working because of ICON load on SE? BTW my wife has the ICON. Thanks again for the guide and to all on the thread with mutual interest in the ativ-se. We must be a proud few.

asellite

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes thanks for the guide aselite. I read it over and actually have a second ativ-se I could try it on. I have ran out of band ROM's before but not for a long time. Very disappointing Verizon not getting the new Windows phone. Was still hoping for a official RTM or at least windows insider upgrade. The phone is very stable on the official release. Have not heard a peep about any upgrade coming ativ-se way. Have you heard anything? It took a ridiculously long time to get 8.11. Your guide is very nice. How long have you been running and how stable is it? Is there any features that are not working because of ICON load on SE? BTW my wife has the ICON. Thanks again for the guide and to all on the thread with mutual interest in the ativ-se. We must be a proud few.

There's absolutely zero news or rumors on any further support for the Ativ SE so right now the guide is your best option for pursuing Windows 10 Mobile. A lot of people worked really hard on the basis for the guide for many months and they did a great job. I've been running stable for about 2 weeks now. Very minor bugs related to the fact that it's an insider build but no compatibility issues with the upgrade itself. Very happy. Easily a daily driver. Rest easy and follow the instructions closely and your phone will work pretty much perfectly. In my opinion my phone is running much better than when it was on 8.1.1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion