12-03-2015 03:47 PM
41 12
tools
    Subscribing to new thread. Just bought an ativ se. I'm pretty excited. The specs on this thing look impressive. Anyone willing to share their experiences with this phone?
    HeyCori likes this.
    11-09-2015 06:44 PM
    The specs are quite impressive, right up there with the Lumia Icon in my book. The interface is really smooth with almost ZERO hiccups. My only worry is Samsung support, still yet to hear any details re: W10M and with devices like the One M8 already on preview for developers it leaves me with a few questions especially seeing as this is a more than capable device.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-09-2015 07:25 PM
    The specs are quite impressive, right up there with the Lumia Icon in my book. The interface is really smooth with almost ZERO hiccups. My only worry is Samsung support, still yet to hear any details re: W10M and with devices like the One M8 already on preview for developers it leaves me with a few questions especially seeing as this is a more than capable device.

Definitely more then capable. I'm the type of person that would not depend on Samsung support. I'd rather depend on the user base here at wc. I'm perfectly happy with Windows 8.1, but if we end up with w10m, then that's a bonus. :)
    11-09-2015 07:41 PM
    This phone feels so much better in the hand than the icon or m8. Don't forget to grab a wireless charging insert for a galaxy s4 to get qi, which works flawlessly on mine. The only issues are a sub par camera and a random reboot issue. You can even hack w10 onto it if you want so it is future proof as well. Welcome to the club!
    11-09-2015 08:18 PM
    This phone feels so much better in the hand than the icon or m8. Don't forget to grab a wireless charging insert for a galaxy s4 to get qi, which works flawlessly on mine. The only issues are a sub par camera and a random reboot issue. You can even hack w10 onto it if you want so it is future proof as well. Welcome to the club!

Random reboots? Can you tell me more about that? Is it something specifically you're doing when it happens?
    11-09-2015 09:03 PM
    Also I'm wondering... Some people mentioned the inability to change mms settings and mobile hotspot not working on other carriers. Is this true?
    11-09-2015 09:10 PM
    Subscribing to new thread. Just bought an ativ se. I'm pretty excited. The specs on this thing look impressive. Anyone willing to share their experiences with this phone?
    It's a good phone. I've moved from the ATIV SE to the Icon and finally to the M8. It's a pretty equivalent device to those others - minus the Windows Insider Program. I'd recommend keeping it in a case (I had this one DualPro for Samsung ATIV SE - Verizon Wirelessand loved it) as the silvery paint will peel. Enjoy the phone.
    11-10-2015 11:14 AM
    Wife has one and is very happy with it. Only worry about the ability to update to W10M when the time comes, but we will have to wait and see on that.
    11-10-2015 02:36 PM
    It's a good phone. I've moved from the ATIV SE to the Icon and finally to the M8. It's a pretty equivalent device to those others - minus the Windows Insider Program. I'd recommend keeping it in a case (I had this one DualPro for Samsung ATIV SE - Verizon Wirelessand loved it) as the silvery paint will peel. Enjoy the phone.

Have book marked the page. Might get that one. :)
    11-10-2015 05:59 PM
    Wife has one and is very happy with it. Only worry about the ability to update to W10M when the time comes, but we will have to wait and see on that.

I'm not too worried about it. Windows 8.1 is decent enough for me.
    11-10-2015 05:59 PM
    Any word on whether the apns can be changed on these phones? I'd hate to not have tethering and mms working.
    11-10-2015 06:01 PM
    the apn can be changed but i honestly don't know how to activate the tethering ...sorry
    11-10-2015 07:17 PM
    Went from Nokia 822. Nice improvement. It was one of the very few phones that had a real bad time with developer preview. Although that was greatly mitigated by doing a hard reset. Shortly before the official 8.1 came down through Verizon there was a 3rd party program to blow it back to 8.0. This was a prerequisite to get the official update along with the firmware. You could then do a restore from the backup created in the DP if you wanted. This phone has been perfectly stable since the official update. First, I wonder if this phone will get an insider preview or official update with Microsoft giving all the love to Nokia phones. 2nd I wonder if the update will throw the phone for a loop as it did with DP. When that happened I still was on the 822 and felt for the users on the ATIV-SE especially for those users not too technically inclined. There was no rollback option then. I think many who had neither the time or inclination to deal with the problem got rid of them any way they could. I got mine off eBay and the seller never told me it was on DP. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your phone as much as I have. I also hope we get W10 and that goes well for this phone.

Bill
    11-10-2015 09:30 PM
    the apn can be changed but i honestly don't know how to activate the tethering ...sorry

Does the Samsung apn app install from the store? Perhaps that works. :(
    11-10-2015 09:42 PM
    Went from Nokia 822. Nice improvement. It was one of the very few phones that had a real bad time with developer preview. Although that was greatly mitigated by doing a hard reset. Shortly before the official 8.1 came down through Verizon there was a 3rd party program to blow it back to 8.0. This was a prerequisite to get the official update along with the firmware. You could then do a restore from the backup created in the DP if you wanted. This phone has been perfectly stable since the official update. First, I wonder if this phone will get an insider preview or official update with Microsoft giving all the love to Nokia phones. 2nd I wonder if the update will throw the phone for a loop as it did with DP. When that happened I still was on the 822 and felt for the users on the ATIV-SE especially for those users not too technically inclined. There was no rollback option then. I think many who had neither the time or inclination to deal with the problem got rid of them any way they could. I got mine off eBay and the seller never told me it was on DP. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your phone as much as I have. I also hope we get W10 and that goes well for this phone.

Bill

Thanks. I appreciate the honesty. :)
    Are you on Verizon?
    11-10-2015 09:46 PM
    Yes, I have been on Verizon for a long time.
    11-11-2015 10:20 PM
    Hey WilliamI99. It's looking like a long, long time (if ever) that Samsung will support an Ativ SE upgrade to Windows 10 but I just published a safe and easy to follow guide on upgrading to Windows 10. Definitely check that out. Everything is running smoothly and it unlocks a lot of potential for the device!
    11-12-2015 10:42 AM
    Have book marked the page. Might get that one. :)
    My wife has that case as well, the navy and pink one.
    11-12-2015 12:52 PM
    Yes thanks for the guide aselite. I read it over and actually have a second ativ-se I could try it on. I have ran out of band ROM's before but not for a long time. Very disappointing Verizon not getting the new Windows phone. Was still hoping for a official RTM or at least windows insider upgrade. The phone is very stable on the official release. Have not heard a peep about any upgrade coming ativ-se way. Have you heard anything? It took a ridiculously long time to get 8.11. Your guide is very nice. How long have you been running and how stable is it? Is there any features that are not working because of ICON load on SE? BTW my wife has the ICON. Thanks again for the guide and to all on the thread with mutual interest in the ativ-se. We must be a proud few.
    asellite likes this.
    11-12-2015 09:30 PM
    Yes thanks for the guide aselite. I read it over and actually have a second ativ-se I could try it on. I have ran out of band ROM's before but not for a long time. Very disappointing Verizon not getting the new Windows phone. Was still hoping for a official RTM or at least windows insider upgrade. The phone is very stable on the official release. Have not heard a peep about any upgrade coming ativ-se way. Have you heard anything? It took a ridiculously long time to get 8.11. Your guide is very nice. How long have you been running and how stable is it? Is there any features that are not working because of ICON load on SE? BTW my wife has the ICON. Thanks again for the guide and to all on the thread with mutual interest in the ativ-se. We must be a proud few.
    There's absolutely zero news or rumors on any further support for the Ativ SE so right now the guide is your best option for pursuing Windows 10 Mobile. A lot of people worked really hard on the basis for the guide for many months and they did a great job. I've been running stable for about 2 weeks now. Very minor bugs related to the fact that it's an insider build but no compatibility issues with the upgrade itself. Very happy. Easily a daily driver. Rest easy and follow the instructions closely and your phone will work pretty much perfectly. In my opinion my phone is running much better than when it was on 8.1.1.
    11-13-2015 12:13 PM
    There's absolutely zero news or rumors on any further support for the Ativ SE so right now the guide is your best option for pursuing Windows 10 Mobile. A lot of people worked really hard on the basis for the guide for many months and they did a great job. I've been running stable for about 2 weeks now. Very minor bugs related to the fact that it's an insider build but no compatibility issues with the upgrade itself. Very happy. Easily a daily driver. Rest easy and follow the instructions closely and your phone will work pretty much perfectly. In my opinion my phone is running much better than when it was on 8.1.1.

Hey ase, I have a question, maybe you can answer it. If I flash back to gdr3, but use the csc file meant for the ativ s (t899m) will it render my phone useless? It has the info I need for my carrier.
    11-13-2015 02:14 PM
    Hey ase, I have a question, maybe you can answer it. If I flash back to gdr3, but use the csc file meant for the ativ s (t899m) will it render my phone useless? It has the info I need for my carrier.
    I wouldn't recommend it. I couple of guys on Reddit used my guide to alter their off carrier phones with different provisioning and bricked their devices. I can't say it would be wise! On top of that the Ativ S isn't supported by Microsoft for the dev preview so if you use the CSC for that and it rewrites registry data you might get shot down by the update server. I'd be interested to hear if that worked though. Let us know if you get brave. Probably shouldn't try it though if it's your daily!
    11-13-2015 03:54 PM
    I wouldn't recommend it. I couple of guys on Reddit used my guide to alter their off carrier phones with different provisioning and bricked their devices. I can't say it would be wise! On top of that the Ativ S isn't supported by Microsoft for the dev preview so if you use the CSC for that and it rewrites registry data you might get shot down by the update server. I'd be interested to hear if that worked though. Let us know if you get brave. Probably shouldn't try it though if it's your daily!

Well. I'm planning on staying on windows 8.1 until everything with windows 10 mobile works properly. So my plan was to flash gdr3 wp8.0 with the ativ s csc file, then upgrade to 8.1, so that tethering and mms would work by default. But I don't really know what a csc file is other then carrier information. If there's something else in that file that is important then I don't want to mess it up. I suppose I could always flash back and use the proper csc file, but I just bought the phone and don't want to take chances.
    11-13-2015 04:26 PM
    Well. I'm planning on staying on windows 8.1 until everything with windows 10 mobile works properly. So my plan was to flash gdr3 wp8.0 with the ativ s csc file, then upgrade to 8.1, so that tethering and mms would work by default. But I don't really know what a csc file is other then carrier information. If there's something else in that file that is important then I don't want to mess it up. I suppose I could always flash back and use the proper csc file, but I just bought the phone and don't want to take chances.
    CSC isn't always enough. I'm not a programmer, but I'm pretty sure the WP registry needs to reflect that your phone is what you're lying about it being or MS servers wont put out. Someone with more experience would know better than me though :\
    11-13-2015 05:29 PM
    Have you had any issues with GPS flaking out? If you drive around with turn-by-turn, does it stay with you the whole trip? I find the GPS on my SE stalls out regularly, so I end up missing turns because it still thinks I'm miles back and not moving. And there's not even a notification like it can't find a signal, it just thinks I've stopped. This reason alone is why I'm looking at switching phones, which on Verizon might leave me without a decent WP future.
    11-17-2015 06:10 PM
41 12