The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Not working the way I had hoped. Got it updated to 8.1 entirely, but after doing the "zombie" conversion of Preview for Developers to make a registry editor, it can't even access the top level registry keys, just closes out.

Getting very frustrated with MS right now. Was considering the HP XT3 coming in a couple months, but after this, may just go to Android.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I never had this issue a few months ago when I installed Win10 before.

Hate to say this, but try starting over again. The same thing happened to me and I ended up having to start over from the beginning. Also, when changing the registry keys you will need to change more than what is stated; see my previous post one page back. Any problems PM me or post another message here.

- RW

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that is what I was afraid of.

Two questions then. Do you let it completely update with all the OTA update for 8.1, or just take it to the first one coming off 8.0, then try editing the registry? Maybe that is my mistake because I tried upgrading to 10 after just the first 8.0 to 8.1 update. I did the conversion per the OP, then it added one more 8.1 update. Maybe that is what jacked me up.

Also, where can I find the Root Tool.xap that everyone is talking about to bypass the newest "fix" from MS trying to stop the registry hack from the OP? Found one XDA in the Win10 section, but it will not deploy. Maybe I have the wrong one, idk. Tried Google for the v2 version, but no luck.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, that is what I was afraid of.

Two questions then. Do you let it completely update with all the OTA update for 8.1, or just take it to the first one coming off 8.0, then try editing the registry? Maybe that is my mistake because I tried upgrading to 10 after just the first 8.0 to 8.1 update. I did the conversion per the OP, then it added one more 8.1 update. Maybe that is what jacked me up.

Also, where can I find the Root Tool.xap that everyone is talking about to bypass the newest "fix" from MS trying to stop the registry hack from the OP? Found one XDA in the Win10 section, but it will not deploy. Maybe I have the wrong one, idk. Tried Google for the v2 version, but no luck.

Finish all OTA updates for 8.1 first. Then upgrade to 10. Root Tool is also in my Dropbox shared folder in a previous post. Go back a page or so and click on Go Here. I have all files needed in that folder.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Rmabwing, you are the hero of every ATIV SE user ever man. My hats off to you brother.

-- W

Thanks man, just trying to help. I've become some what of an expert at the trials and tribulations of this phone and putting Win10 on it. I don't mind helping others to do the same. With that said, we all are instrumental in helping each other on this thread and should continue to do so, if needed. I know it is getting to be an old topic and some have come and gone, but there might be others that stumble upon here and need help too, so I will keep monitoring and helping as long as I can.

- RW

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, did everything like the instructions said. Registry values are in, Windows Insider says I am ready to go with Fast Ring. Try checking updates, and it says I am already up to date. Checked registry values. They are still there, but in the "About" section, it still show my model as a "SM-W750V" even though the registry value is a RM-927.

At wits end with this thing. Scanned threads a couple times, still not finding an answer, short of the MS gods hating me. Ugh...

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, did everything like the instructions said. Registry values are in, Windows Insider says I am ready to go with Fast Ring. Try checking updates, and it says I am already up to date. Checked registry values. They are still there, but in the "About" section, it still show my model as a "SM-W750V" even though the registry value is a RM-927.

At wits end with this thing. Scanned threads a couple times, still not finding an answer, short of the MS gods hating me. Ugh...

Change to these values in the registry:

HKLM -> SYSTEM -> Platform -> DeviceTargetInfo ->
PhoneManufacturer: MicrosoftMDG
PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-1085_11302
PhoneModelName: Lumia 950 XL
PhoneHardwareVariant: RM-1085.

But DO NOT use Fast Ring - Use "Insider Release Preview" - Fast Ring will update your phone to the latest Redstone build and will cause a lot of headaches, believe me, I've tried three times. Once on IRP you will get the latest Insider build for most Win10 phones; 10586.338. This is a really good build. Make sure you change to IRP before changing the registry.

- RW

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I may start a new thread for upgrading our phones. It seems the OP here is in the wind and some of the update processes have changed quite significantly. So, my thought is even though I have the files linked here in this thread I am not the OP and my link is going to be hard for others to find as well as the updated instructions and registry values. What do you guys think?

- RW

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa! Don't use those values. I've had my new guide done for a while, I was just waiting for more time to comment on the stability. I'll put the post together now, expect it in 20 minutes

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa! Don't use those values. I've had my new guide done for a while, I was just waiting for more time to comment on the stability. I'll put the post together now, expect it in 20 minutes

Great...now I see this,... and here I just got my update working by switching from Fast Ring to Release Candidate. Guess I will see what I end up with. Going to be the last shot for me till sometime next week. Going to be out of town and need my phone working, even if it is 8.1. Argh!!

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I may start a new thread for upgrading our phones. It seems the OP here is in the wind and some of the update processes have changed quite significantly. So, my thought is even though I have the files linked here in this thread I am not the OP and my link is going to be hard for others to find as well as the updated instructions and registry values. What do you guys think?

- RW

Might be a good idea. That way we can settle on the registry values that give the best and most stable build.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
EDIT: I have posted this in a new thread, which will be edited as necessary. http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-se/427618-new-guide-update-th2-redstone.html

I've been using 14356 since it was released, and I've now updated to 14361, so I guess I should post a quick tutorial for those that need it. However, I need to preface the tutorial with important information regarding Redstone on our phone. Most importantly, you must not do a hard reset once running a Redstone build (at the time of posting). The Redstone builds, currently, are in-place UPDATE cabs from 10586; NOT a UPGRADE to Redstone. This means that these update cabs do not fully patch the portions of the ROM that are used to recreate the environment upon a hard reset. This is why @rmabwing5 had issues with his Microsoft Account, and it's the same reason we had issues with Settings and the Store when we were first trying Win10M. I expect this to remain true until Redstone reaches an RTM build, which would include a complete upgrade to the data portions which are preserved for a hard reset. This is why we were finally able to do hard resets on Win10M when we got the RTM build of 10586 through Insider. I also want to preface the tutorial by saying that I've only been using Redstone for a little over a week, and for the most part I only use the core features of the phone (phone, text, email, browsing). 14356 has behaved very well for me, but I probably use less features than you, so you will likely experience more issues than I have. Although I have been using it as my daily driver, I would not suggest others to do so. Use your own discretion, and proceed at your own risk.

This tutorial contains nothing new. It's old information that has been slightly modified. Anybody could figure this out with some minimal research, even if they only research this thread. This tutorial will start from our stock image (8.0 GDR3), which is how I tested the procedure, however if you're already running 8.1.1 or 10586, you can likely skip most of this tutorial (although I have not tested doing so). Also, this tutorial will not be as verbose as my tutorials usually are; you may be required to do additional research before understanding the process, especially if this is your first time updating from 8.1.1 to 10.

1. Flash to 8.0 GDR3 stock using my guide, select custom and turn off automatic updates, sign in to msft account, don't restore, don't backup

2. Settings > Phone Update, take update to 10532.166

3. Settings > Phone Update, take update to 14203, disable auto app updates after initial setup, then take the critical update

4. Uninstall what you don't want/need, update everything else in store

5. Unlock in Developer Registration 8.1

6. Sideload CustomWPSystem_0600.xap (newer version doesn't work) - [XAP][27/02/2016][0.7] CustomWPSystem - patc?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

7. Install Preview for Developers, move to SD

8. Open CustomWPSystem, patch PfD with CustomPFD_0003.xap (newer version doesn't work) - [XAP][18/09/2015][0.6] CustomPFD: registry e?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

9. Open PfD (custom), and make the following changes to these keys in HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

PhoneManufacturer to NOKIA

PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-927_nam_vzw_100

PhoneModelName to "Lumia ICON"

PhoneHardwareVariant RM-927_nam_vzw_100

10. Install Windows Insider, open, select Insider Release Preview, go to Phone Update and take update to 14219.341

11. Wait, open Windows Insider to have it check for updates, take update to Win 10586.107

12. Wait..... If stuck on "Migrating your data" at 63% on step 18 of 22, power down and then turn back on. After it's complete, let it sit for 10 minutes.

13. Reset phone from settings. You can do a reset from TH2, but NOT from the Redstone builds (results in missing system apps, like Microsoft Account)

14. Setup normally, but do not restore (resulted in missing apps, may be different if your restore is from Redstone)

15. Let apps update (it's gonna take a while...), uninstall anything you don't want

16. Turn on Developer Mode in settings

17. Deploy RootTool.xap (the version currently in this post) - [JAILBREAK][GUIDE] Interop Unlock for Window?€? | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

18. Open Root Tool, go to File Folder Utility, press Install Xap File (will say failed), back, go to For All Windows Device

19. Make the following changes to these keys in HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-927

PhoneModelName to "Lumia 929"

PhoneHardwareVariant RM-927

20. Download Windows Insider, select Fast Ring, reboot

21. Check for updates, install Redstone. If it hangs at step 3 of 9, power down and turn on. Your phone may act sluggishly and have weird issues for a few hours, but it will eventually work fine.

This was my procedure to go from 8.0 GDR3 to 14356, and I was able to upgrade to 14361 without changing anything. You can change your registry settings back to normal if you wish, however I would suggest keeping these values if you want to get immediate updates on the fast ring.

Notes:

I believe the two sets of values for DeviceTargetingInfo are interchangeable, so if you have issues seeing updates, try the other set. The order written is the order I used. The first set will also allow us to get to TH2 from Upgrade Advisor when that goes live for the Icon.

Once you finish step 15, if you wish to stay on TH2 (10586) you can do so by selecting Release Preview from Windows Insider. Although I have not tested it myself, you may be able to participate in the Release Preview ring and stay updated on TH2 without making any registry changes. Maybe not. Let us know.

EDIT: I'm going to post this in a new thread for visibility.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Quick note to JM_Thomas and rmabwing5, there is no reason to use any values other than those for the Lumia Icon. The Lumia Icon is nearly identical hardware to our phone, and if any provisioning updates are released that effect the radio stack, they will apply to our device as well since they use the same stack and are provisioned for Verizon. The Lumia Icon is greenlit for TH2 and Redstone builds now, so there is absolutely no reason to risk using values from a different device.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
EDIT: I have posted this in a new thread, which will be edited as necessary. http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-se/427618-new-guide-update-th2-redstone.html

I've been using 14356 since it was released, and I've now updated to 14361, so I guess I should post a quick tutorial for those that need it. However, I need to preface the tutorial with important information regarding Redstone on our phone. Most importantly, you must not do a hard reset once running a Redstone build (at the time of posting). The Redstone builds, currently, are in-place UPDATE cabs from 10586; NOT a UPGRADE to Redstone. This means that these update cabs do not fully patch the portions of the ROM that are used to recreate the environment upon a hard reset. This is why @rmabwing5 had issues with his Microsoft Account, and it's the same reason we had issues with Settings and the Store when we were first trying Win10M. I expect this to remain true until Redstone reaches an RTM build, which would include a complete upgrade to the data portions which are preserved for a hard reset. This is why we were finally able to do hard resets on Win10M when we got the RTM build of 10586 through Insider. I also want to preface the tutorial by saying that I've only been using Redstone for a little over a week, and for the most part I only use the core features of the phone (phone, text, email, browsing). 14356 has behaved very well for me, but I probably use less features than you, so you will likely experience more issues than I have. Although I have been using it as my daily driver, I would not suggest others to do so. Use your own discretion, and proceed at your own risk.

This tutorial contains nothing new. It's old information that has been slightly modified. Anybody could figure this out with some minimal research, even if they only research this thread. This tutorial will start from our stock image (8.0 GDR3), which is how I tested the procedure, however if you're already running 8.1.1 or 10586, you can likely skip most of this tutorial (although I have not tested doing so). Also, this tutorial will not be as verbose as my tutorials usually are; you may be required to do additional research before understanding the process, especially if this is your first time updating from 8.1.1 to 10.

1. Flash to 8.0 GDR3 stock using my guide, select custom and turn off automatic updates, sign in to msft account, don't restore, don't backup

2. Settings > Phone Update, take update to 10532.166

3. Settings > Phone Update, take update to 14203, disable auto app updates after initial setup, then take the critical update

4. Uninstall what you don't want/need, update everything else in store

5. Unlock in Developer Registration 8.1

6. Sideload CustomWPSystem_0600.xap (newer version doesn't work) - [XAP][27/02/2016][0.7] CustomWPSystem - patc?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

7. Install Preview for Developers, move to SD

8. Open CustomWPSystem, patch PfD with CustomPFD_0003.xap (newer version doesn't work) - [XAP][18/09/2015][0.6] CustomPFD: registry e?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

9. Open PfD (custom), and make the following changes to these keys in HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-927_nam_vzw_100

PhoneModelName to "Lumia ICON"

PhoneHardwareVariant RM-927_nam_vzw_100

10. Install Windows Insider, open, select Insider Release Preview, go to Phone Update and take update to 14219.341

11. Wait, open Windows Insider to have it check for updates, take update to Win 10586.107

12. Wait..... If stuck on "Migrating your data" at 63% on step 18 of 22, power down and then turn back on. After it's complete, let it sit for 10 minutes.

13. Reset phone from settings. You can do a reset from TH2, but NOT from the Redstone builds (results in missing system apps, like Microsoft Account)

14. Setup normally, but do not restore (resulted in missing apps, may be different if your restore is from Redstone)

15. Let apps update (it's gonna take a while...), uninstall anything you don't want

16. Turn on Developer Mode in settings

17. Deploy RootTool.xap (the version currently in this post) - [JAILBREAK][GUIDE] Interop Unlock for Window?€? | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

18. Open Root Tool, go to File Folder Utility, press Install Xap File (will say failed), back, go to For All Windows Device

19. Make the following changes to these keys in HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

21. Check for updates, install Redstone. If it hangs at step 3 of 9, power down and turn on. Your phone may act sluggishly and have weird issues for a few hours, but it will eventually work fine.

This was my procedure to go from 8.0 GDR3 to 14356, and I was able to upgrade to 14361 without changing anything. You can change your registry settings back to normal if you wish, however I would suggest keeping these values if you want to get immediate updates on the fast ring.

Notes:

I believe the two sets of values for DeviceTargetingInfo are interchangeable, so if you have issues seeing updates, try the other set. The order written is the order I used. The first set will also allow us to get to TH2 from Upgrade Advisor when that goes live for the Icon.

Once you finish step 15, if you wish to stay on TH2 (10586) you can do so by selecting Release Preview from Windows Insider. Although I have not tested it myself, you may be able to participate in the Release Preview ring and stay updated on TH2 without making any registry changes. Maybe not. Let us know.

EDIT: I'm going to post this in a new thread for visibility.

Quick note to JM_Thomas and rmabwing5, there is no reason to use any values other than those for the Lumia Icon. The Lumia Icon is nearly identical hardware to our phone, and if any provisioning updates are released that effect the radio stack, they will apply to our device as well since they use the same stack and are provisioned for Verizon. The Lumia Icon is greenlit for TH2 and Redstone builds now, so there is absolutely no reason to risk using values from a different device.

Thanks Jeemo. Admittedly my information came from another thread for another phone. The settings for the Lumia 950 XL seem to work quite well but, like I mentioned, I can't get to Redstone without having troubles. I will try your new guide when I get a chance and let everyone know how it goes.

- RW

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, got it up to the 10586.107 build, now pulling down the 10586.338 build. Will see how it goes.

Jeemo, if I have issues, I will try your method next, though I would rather just run .338 if it is stable.

And this is with running the last option, not Fast or Slow ring, can't remember the name. RC maybe?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes, Release Preview. And if you're on 10586.338 then there's no reason to start over with my tutorial. I would suggest doing a Hard Reset regardless (which is okay on 10586), and you may be able to continue getting Release Preview updates without editing the registry (although I have not tried this). Technically the values for the 950 are fine for 10586, just not Redstone because the new generation phones download different cabs than the Icon and 930 for Redstone. You may not even need to do a hard reset, you can make your own decision. Regardless, to prevent future mishaps I'd suggest using the stock values or the values for the Icon.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, got it up to the 10586.107 build, now pulling down the 10586.338 build. Will see how it goes.

Jeemo, if I have issues, I will try your method next, though I would rather just run .338 if it is stable.

And this is with running the last option, not Fast or Slow ring, can't remember the name. RC maybe?

Yes, Release Preview. And if you're on 10586.338 then there's no reason to start over with my tutorial. I would suggest doing a Hard Reset regardless (which is okay on 10586), and you may be able to continue getting Release Preview updates without editing the registry (although I have not tried this). Technically the values for the 950 are fine for 10586, just not Redstone because the new generation phones download different cabs than the Icon and 930 for Redstone. You may not even need to do a hard reset, you can make your own decision. Regardless, to prevent future mishaps I'd suggest using the stock values or the values for the Icon.

Thanks Jeemo. Admittedly my information came from another thread for another phone. The settings for the Lumia 950 XL seem to work quite well but, like I mentioned, I can't get to Redstone without having troubles. I will try your new guide when I get a chance and let everyone know how it goes.

- RW

Okay, I started the upgrade to Redstone on step 19 as follows: (Note: I started out at 10586.338)

Once the upgrade was finished I rebooted the phone. All is well. I still have my accounts and everything is there. Hell, we don't even need the Insider App anymore with this build. It works just like a PC now (in Settings). Thanks Jeemo for the great information. I will post a review of build 14361.0 here in a couple of days.

One thing I am experiencing right now is slow response to screen touch. Hopefully will work itself out.

- RW

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I started the upgrade to Redstone on step 19
Once the upgrade was finished I rebooted the phone. All is well. I still have my accounts and everything is there. Hell, we don't even need the Insider App anymore with this build. It works just like a PC now (in Settings). Thanks Jeemo for the great information. I will post a review of build 14361.0 here in a couple of days.

One thing I am experiencing right now is slow response to screen touch. Hopefully will work itself out.

- RW

Awesome, I'm glad it's working for you now! Thank you for confirming! Regarding the response issue, I experienced this initially, too. This will go away over time (I noticed that the longer the uptime my phone had, the better it performed). This happened on 14356 and 14361 for me. When I do a restart, it acts like that for a few minutes, but that time period seemed to reduce daily. Unfortunately I only used 14356 for a week, and 14361 since it was released, so I don't have more accurate information. If you end up leaving your phone on overnight, let us know how it performs for you tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, check out the application Device Diagnostics HUB in the store; the clear RAM feature may help reduce this. I haven't done any additional research on the issue since it seemed to correct itself, so I cannot guarantee this will help at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3