The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-05-2016 10:16 PM
500 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Google "roottool.xap"
    Thanks fatclue. I was Googling RootTool V2 and not getting anything. I found a roottool.xap via XDA, so Im going to try that.

However, the next stupid question is, how do I actually Sideload the app once I changed over to developer mode in the settings? I know it was accessible via the store in 8.1, but read in 10 you can just load it by clicking the file from the root of the SD Card. I tried that but it didn't install. What am I doing wrong?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!
    Last edited by PuckCowboy; 12-18-2015 at 11:43 AM.
    12-18-2015 11:24 AM
    Thanks fatclue. I was Googling RootTool V2 and not getting anything. I found a roottool.xap via XDA, so Im going to try that.

However, the next stupid question is, how do I actually Sideload the app once I changed over to developer mode in the settings? I know it was accessible via the store in 8.1, but read in 10 you can just load it by clicking the file from the root of the SD Card. I tried that but it didn't install. What am I doing wrong?

Instructions to sideload the app and a link tthe app itself is included can be seen in the original post
    12-18-2015 01:37 PM
    Instructions to sideload the app and a link tthe app itself is included can be seen in the original post
    Gotcha. Just to confirm, the Windows 8.1 SDK wil work fine with WM10? I don't have to download the WM10 SDK do I?
    12-18-2015 03:29 PM
    No, 8.1 works fine.
    12-18-2015 10:28 PM
    No, 8.1 works fine.
    Unfortunately, it looks like I'm stuck :(

I keep getting hung up on these exact steps:

6. Browse and select the CustomPFD_003.xap that we put in the root directory of the SD Card
    7. Click the “APPLY XAP” Button

When I click APPLY, I get an error message that says "The operation didn't complete successfully...."

I'm currently on the latest build of Windows 10 mobile, but would like to get this side-loading thing working so I can install the RootTool app among a couple others. Not sure if I'm missing anything or what, but it's just not working.

Any and all info is truly appreciated.
    12-19-2015 02:31 AM
    Ok, looks like I'm all set... almost!

Thank you everyone for the help as well! I've got my secondary ATIV SE up and running with the latest version of WM10 and all my apps installed as well. I'm really loving WM10 (look & functionality) thus far and everything is working very smoothly (so far).

However, the only issues Im running into at the moment are trying to get the HERE apps sideloaded onto the device. I'm trying to follow this XDA thread with no luck:

[Interop][Windows 10 Mobile] How to install € - Pg. 5 | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

Anyone else successfully get these loaded on? I ask because they are not available via the store at the moment.

12-20-2015 03:20 PM
    I'd rather use GPS navigation. If Nokia/ms doesn't have time to get it added to the store properly, then I don't have time to use it. ;)
    12-20-2015 03:50 PM
    After a hard reset before .36 tunein radio store app said not compatible with my device. It was also listed as not compatible in my store library. After .36 and no hard reset it showed up not compatible on the store but I was able to download from the my library section of the store. I used it for a while then it quit working. No longer downloadable. Anyone using this app?
    12-22-2015 12:28 PM
    I have hard reset, all good so far.
    12-25-2015 12:17 AM
    So I just noticed I'm unable to tether my with my ATIV SE on WM 10 but had no issues doing so on 8.1. I'm on Verizon and have made no changes to my account, but I'm getting an error code that says "call 611 or go to VerizonWireless.com to activate the feature." Any and all help is truly appreciated!
    12-26-2015 02:42 AM
    So I just noticed I'm unable to tether my with my ATIV SE on WM 10 but had no issues doing so on 8.1. I'm on Verizon and have made no changes to my account, but I'm getting an error code that says "call 611 or go to VerizonWireless.com to activate the feature." Any and all help is truly appreciated!
    Been around for a long time when we talked tethering and reverse tethering. If your talking internet sharing. I did not have any problem. Just paired my Surface pro and Surface Pro 3 and was able to use the ATIV-SE to get on the inter-webs..
    12-27-2015 09:06 AM
    After about a week after the hard reset a number of apps quit working. I was thinking this could be hardware and was preparing to do the procedure for W10 on my original device that still had WP8.1. I held off on that and took stock of what apps they were. I am going to proceed with the thought that these apps are simply not compatible with ATIV-SE with W10M. They will install but go south after a while. I may eventually make a list of these apps if anyone is interested.
    12-27-2015 10:26 AM
    After about a week after the hard reset a number of apps quit working. I was thinking this could be hardware and was preparing to do the procedure for W10 on my original device that still had WP8.1. I held off on that and took stock of what apps they were. I am going to proceed with the thought that these apps are simply not compatible with ATIV-SE with W10M. They will install but go south after a while. I may eventually make a list of these apps if anyone is interested.
    I'm definitely interested
    12-30-2015 07:28 PM
    I'm definitely interested
    toolkit pro
    tip calculator
    windows central
    Accurate tuner pro
    amazon kindle
    adobe reader
    amazon app
    copilot usa
    ebay
    fandango
    my Verizon Mobil
    old phone ring tones
    preview for developers
    qrcode+
    signal generator
    speedtest.net
    Hardware Tests
    Last edited by Williaml99; 01-06-2016 at 08:53 PM.
    01-06-2016 08:38 PM
    toolkit pro
    tip calculator
    windows central
    Accurate tuner pro
    amazon kindle
    adobe reader
    amazon app
    copilot usa
    ebay
    fandango
    my Verizon Mobil
    old phone ring tones
    preview for developers
    qrcode+
    signal generator
    speedtest.net
    Hardware Tests
    What do you think guys, are these because they are not universal apps? any clue. They last about a week. I put toolkit pro back on but I'm going to think about the others as I am tired of this. Really don't want to go back to 8.1.

Thanks
    Bill
    01-06-2016 08:47 PM
    I may have to go back to 8.1 also. My first two weeks were nearly flawless (wifi settings menu crashes, but that was it) but some time around the first of the year things started going to crap. The live tile on the MSN money app doesn't work anymore. My battery life went stupid out of nowhere (maybe 9 hours of standby time!), and just now my back and search buttons stopped working, and when I shut down, the phone wouldn't start back up even 5 minutes later, until I pulled the battery.

Background: installed .29 the day before .36 came out, then updated to .36 and used the zombie reg editor to change my mfg and model back to the correct values. No hard reset.
    01-07-2016 09:01 AM
    I'm having an issue getting the latest build (x.63) When I go to Windows Insider, I keep getting the "Server Error" message saying it can't connect to the server. Anyone know how to fix this or get around this?

Looking like I may be going back to 8.1 as well. Having some issues with a few apps, network connection dropping out, and the biggest thing is I can't get Tether to work. Any info on how to get the latest WM10 Insider Mobile Build on my phone is truly appreciated!
    01-11-2016 02:39 PM
    so here's something interesting. I never did a hard reset, but my Preview for Developers app no longer appears in my app list so I can't go and change my registry entries to the Nokia items to get build 63. I went to the store and it says it's already installed. Not sure what I would have done to cause this, but I guess I'm gonna have to use root tool v2 to do my registry changes now.
    01-20-2016 04:16 PM
    so here's something interesting. I never did a hard reset, but my Preview for Developers app no longer appears in my app list so I can't go and change my registry entries to the Nokia items to get build 63. I went to the store and it says it's already installed. Not sure what I would have done to cause this, but I guess I'm gonna have to use root tool v2 to do my registry changes now.
    Use Root Tool. After the initial setup that's all you will need.
    01-20-2016 11:45 PM
    Hey folks,

I'm thinking of selling my SE on eBay, and doing so with W10M still installed. Before I do so, I wanted to consult the brain trust and make sure I was safe erasing my phone, in the event that I sell it. If I do so, will the person who buys it still be able to download insider updates?

Thanks, as always.
    01-24-2016 10:49 AM
    Hey folks,

I'm thinking of selling my SE on eBay, and doing so with W10M still installed. Before I do so, I wanted to consult the brain trust and make sure I was safe erasing my phone, in the event that I sell it. If I do so, will the person who buys it still be able to download insider updates?

Thanks, as always.

The new owner will have to start the process all over again. Install Root Tool, change the device to Nokia, etc. A hard reset removes all the reg edits.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-24-2016 12:37 PM
    Downloading .71 :)
    02-01-2016 09:25 PM
    Downloading .71 :)
    WilliamI99, let us know what you think of it. I went back to my original ATIV SE Phone with 8.1 Installed on it because WM10 was just too rough around the edges for my tastes. Certain apps wouldn't load, Cortana wasn't as robust, and the phone started rebooting at random several times a day.

A lot to love about 10, but 8.1 is smoother and more stable.

Please keep us posted!
    02-01-2016 11:08 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what do you mean when you say Cortana wasn't as robust? I didn't use her a lot (other than reminders here and there) until Christmas when I bought my first Bluetooth equipped car, and now I've been using her a lot but I already had W10 installed so I never got much Cortana experience on 8.1.

Overall, things were pretty good for me on .36. All my apps worked, and at one point I had a few days of excessive battery drain for no apparent reason, but once that went away I was happy. Once I upgraded to .63 I started getting a lot of random reboots as you mentioned.

I bought an Icon on eBay...I don't have a SIM for it yet so I'm still running the ATIV as my daily driver, which I did put back on 8.1 this weekend to get it ready to potentially sell.

I just put .71 on the Icon this morning so we'll see how things go there. So far I'm at least convinced that even if I roll it back to 8.1, Lumia phones are the way to go as they have so many more features that the 3rd party phones don't get. Like Hey Cortana, for one. And I still have haptic feedback which was lost on the ATIV SE w/ W10.
    02-02-2016 08:17 AM
    Well, I mean more in her functionality. With 8.1, she would schedule appointments better, and also I could control more of my music playback (Ex: I could actually have her play specific artists and songs), with WM10 I wasnt able to get her to do that. The most important thing though was hands-free calling and texting which seemed to work fine, but it just wasn't as smooth, often commands/responses were delayed, and on certain occasions it just didnt work.

Granted, I'm still on build .36 as I couldn't get the newer builds through The Preview for Developers app for some reason. For now, Im happy sticking with 8.1 until there is a much more solid build available that works with the SE or the Surface Phone comes out (hopefully for Verizon too.)
    02-02-2016 01:01 PM
500 ... 34567 ...