The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-05-2016 10:16 PM
500 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I get that. The issues with the hands free calling and texting are some of the same things that were bugging me, I just never knew they weren't problems on 8.1 and assumed it was just limitations of Cortana.

1. When I receive a text and she asks whether I want to read it or ignore it, and I have her read it, and she asks "do you want to reply, or are you done?". If I say "I'm done", sometimes she asks the question again like she didn't understand me, but I can see on the screen that she did. If I say "cancel" (which is the button available on the screen) she'll sometimes get that, or she may re-ask the question yet again until she finally says she's not getting it and to help her by tapping one of the buttons on the screen.

2. I've noticed on .71 that if I answered the same question from above with "reply", she'll ask me who the text message is to be sent to. Obviously it's to the person I'm replying to...unfortunately me switching to a Lumia Icon and build 71 happened simultaneously, so I can't for sure say that it's the build but it seems more likely than being the hardware.

3. When I've composed a text with her and am ready to send, sometimes she'll keep asking me if I'm ready to send it no matter how many times I say "send" or "send it". It's not every time, but when it does happen it's annoying and I have to reach down and tap the send button on the screen.

All this results in having to take my phone out of my pocket so I can access it if needed. I'd rather not have to think about it and be stuck having to dig the phone out of my pocket if Cortana can't figure out what I want her to do.

Overall, not sure if it's enough to roll back to 8.1 (at least I have a Lumia now so I can use the device recovery tool) but we'll see. Hopefully Cortana gets better as they continue to get closer to the public release.
    02-03-2016 08:18 AM
    Let's get back on topic. The thread is a tutorial for getting Windows Mobile 10 on the SE and not a bug reporting forum. There is an appropriate area for that.
    Williaml99 likes this.
    02-03-2016 11:46 AM
    Greetings everyone
    Here is the latest update since .71
    Did not hard reset. I personally have experienced no extra mileage when it come to have to reinstall WM8.1 apps.
    Cut to the chase, I had to reinstall WM8.1 apps.
    The good, I got more mileage on the previous update as in the apps worked for quite a while. I am keeping less of the old apps so it is really pretty quick to reinstall. The modern apps never are a problem.

I am not upset because it is my silly decision to run NOKIA load on a Samsung.
    So just a couple of questions.
    have any of you had the reinstall apps issue?
    Are you sticking with this as a daily driver for a while like me or no?

Back to sharing my thoughts.
    I am not sure at what point do I give up on this experiment. I figured it would be a total bust and i would be going back to WM81 but it actually is much better than I thought. I really don't want to go back to 8.1 after using 10 especially considering the I have 10 on my tablets and PCs. I also don't want to go to another platform but I have no prejudice against them. I feel like these decisions will be brought to head sooner for us Verizon customers. nearest AT&T tower is 35 miles. The closest thing to a real W10 path now as near as I can tell is Nokia 735. 735 seems like a step down? A am afraid that when Surface phone come us Verizon customers will be in the same boat. I hope they don't neuter the protocols and make it a truly un-locked phone but on top of that they would have to have it tested with Verizon. Right now I am just a glass half empty type of guy when it comes to wishing for that to happen.

Best wishes
    Bill
    02-04-2016 01:21 PM
    Made the jump last night. Followed the OP, (very well written I might add), and got the initial install done. Didn't think to check the initial build number, but was very impressed.

Not long after the install, got notified of an update, so now I am on .71 . So far I am liking it. Love the new keyboard, especially the new cursor stick. It works wonders for fat fingered people like me.

I do notice just a tiny bit of lag compared to the initial install, but not enough for me to complain. If it means better stability, that is a fine tradeoff.

So far, battery is good, WiFi and cell signal are good (same as what I had in 8.1 leastwise). Apps look good, App store is a little slow at downloading, but that could be my ISP also. Will check speeds at work with our high speed connection. All in all loving W10 so far.

As far as the whole "app gap" thing, I use my phone as a PHONE. If I want to game, I have computers and tablets for that.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-07-2016 10:24 AM
    ^^That's some awesome feedback. If someone tells you to use a flip phone if you're just interested in a phone, tell them to try texting on T9 keyboard.

One thing not mentioned in the tutorial but it's something I've learned from trial and error, make sure you update all your apps through the Store and then do a SOFT reset.
    Sent from my Lumia 2520 on Tapatalk
    02-07-2016 11:44 AM
    .71 Performing well. As stated earlier had to reinstall 1/2 dozen 8.1 apps. Not a big deal to me. One thing I try to monitor is GPS Navigation. I have reported before on improvements in GPS only to have to eat my words. Once again I am on the upbeat on GPS NAV. Seems better. I sound like a politician. I find I have better luck if I turn off WIFI. Going back farther than .71 I found if I turned on airplane mode GPS NAV was perfect. (not good for receiving phone calls). With WI-FI and cellular on it sometimes did not track at all. So far with .71 tracking fairly well with WIFI off not so well with WIFI on. Do you think that ATIV-SE not haveing a dedicated OS image vs a ICON image is the reason? My work mate showed me on his Android he had settings in location services that could select GPS, Cellular, WIFI or all three. I would like that feature so I could still get phone calls while Location just uses GPS.
    02-07-2016 02:43 PM
    ^^That's some awesome feedback. If someone tells you to use a flip phone if you're just interested in a phone, tell them to try texting on T9 keyboard.

One thing not mentioned in the tutorial but it's something I've learned from trial and error, make sure you update all your apps through the Store and then do a SOFT reset.
    Sent from my Lumia 2520 on Tapatalk
    Just out of ccuriosity, why the soft reset? Does that fix something as far as storage space or something? If so, will do that tonight after work.
    02-08-2016 07:51 AM
    It knocks the cobwebs out, so to speak. Don't you reboot after installing a new prog on a PC?
    02-08-2016 10:16 AM
    It knocks the cobwebs out, so to speak. Don't you reboot after installing a new prog on a PC?
    Yes, just didn't realize that would help much with this OS install. Thanks for the advice.
    02-08-2016 02:28 PM
    Ok, I thought I would share this with the group here. This will be a bit long, so bear with me:

So a few weeks back I attempted to install W10 on my SE using the intstructions. The install went smoothly, but I had all sorts of problems with the new build afterwards. Internet was spotty, restarts, several key apps simply didn't work at all. So I begrudgingly rolled back to 8.1 and assumed I would have to get a new phone in order to move to W10. I didn't like the SE much with 8.1, largely because it didn't allow me to use only 2 columns of tiles instead of 3, and that made everything SO small. So I went back temporarily to my LG G2 and figured I'd wait until a decent-spec'ed W10 phone came out at a good price. (Damn, why can't we get W10 on a great phone like the G2?)

Anyway, I got a wild hair one day and decided to try switching over from AT&T Straight Talk to Verizon Straight Talk. I occasionally travel to rural areas in Iowa and AT&T coverage is poor there. So I bought a CDMA code and switched back to the SE. I was having problems getting the data to work right, so I figured before I switched back to the G2 I'd give W10 another shot and see if that would help things. I knew from prior experience that I could at least edit the APN settings on W10, something not allowed on 8.1. So I figured why not? Being lazy and not having the slightest bit of confidence that this would work, I decided to skip all of the resets and instead just do the upgrade normally. Much to my surprise, the upgrade went swimmingly, and I was on W10 without having to re-install and re-configure all of my apps.

I've been using it this way for about a day now, and everything seems to be working fine! I even have my 2 columns of tiles back!

So if you're still on 8.1 you may want to give this a try. Just make the registry hack to PFD, change the model to the Nokia RM-927, install the Windows Insiders app, and update away!
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-09-2016 05:07 PM
    Pulling down the new .107 build right now. Will see how the upgrade goes and if I will need to do a hard reset if I have issues.

Will report back tonight or tomorrow.
    02-10-2016 12:51 PM
    I got .107 without having registry set to Nokia. Is this new or am I missing something?
    02-11-2016 06:29 AM
    I got .107 without having registry set to Nokia. Is this new or am I missing something?
    Are you saying that you were able to upgrade by just installing the Windows Insider App, and didn't use the registry hack at !?? If so, that is definitely new!
    02-11-2016 11:43 AM
    Just a quick update, one issue I do have is that the MS Camera app doesn't work, and I'm unable to set the default camera app to anything else.

Otherwise, I'm loving W10 on this phone!
    02-11-2016 11:45 AM
    Are you saying that you were able to upgrade by just installing the Windows Insider App, and didn't use the registry hack at !?? If so, that is definitely new!
    Yes, it would seem so. My normal procedure is to keep my ear to the ground on Windows Central and when I hear there is a new build for fast ring I set the Keys in the registry to Nokia and RM-927. Once updated I change it back to Samsung and SM-W750V. That is the way I got .71 and all the other builds before. Except of course the original hack. The other evening already at .71 I looked at my phone and it said I needed to reboot for an upgrade, so I rebooted. There was no errors but when it was over I still had .71? I checked and my reg settings were still at Samsung? That was at bedtime. In the morning my phone was at the restart for update screen again. I kicked it over while getting ready for work and I ended up with .107.
    Again I checked registry settings and still all stock. I got out my original ATIV-SE that has no SIM and 8.11 and it still says no Builds available so I don't pretend to understand what is going on. I have double checked my registry settings and I will leave them as they are and see if I get the next update.
    02-11-2016 09:13 PM
    Oh, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that you got the upgrade to WM10 from 8.1 without spoofing the name. Still interesting, though. I suspect the WM10 OS updates don't bother to check for the device model, since they are intended for all WM10 devices.

The nice thing about doing the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 without hard resetting is that my registry edits stayed intact. I still had tethering enabled after the upgrade.

Right now the only real issue I'm seeing is the Camera app, and that makes sense since the app probably has tweaks specific to the Nokia cameras.

At this point I would recommend to anyone with an SE to make this upgrade. It's definitely worth it.
    02-12-2016 09:20 AM
    Just wanted to share my experience,have Bern running for more than 2 weeks without any issue . Have done a soft reset , as advised in one of the previous post , after installing all apps. It's ultra smooth, my daily driver.

Would like to share few tips for those who are having issue with tethering (Wifi Hotspot).

Download Nokia Access Point app from the store. If you don't find it then download an app called Manufacturer Apps' , running this app you will find all Nokia Apps store link. Select Access point and down load it from store. Set your apn and then go to your setting and try enabling WiFi hotspot .. Voila , now no Verizon error.

- If you like HERE maps, drive then you would find those links also in the Manufacturer Apps . Download and enjoy offline map.
    02-12-2016 12:59 PM
    I just pulled the plug and upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile. I followed the directions to a tee and had no problems. My question is can I now remove the CustomWPSystem app? I would also like to change the phone back to it's original ATIV SE name and number in the registry. I read doing so shouldn't stop insider previews. My problem is I can't find the Zombified version of Preview for Developers anymore so I don't know how to get back into the registry to change it. Any help will be appreciated.
    02-17-2016 02:32 PM
    Finally got .107 installed on my backup ATIV SE as well thanks to the tips!

Out of curiosity, is there any advantage to keeping the registry fields on NOKIA vs Samsung, or vice versa? Wondering if it will need ot be Nokia again once the Redstone builds get rolled out to other non-Lumia 950 devices.

Last but not least, anyone notice any overall improvements with .107 vs older builds? I was on .36 and went back to my ATIV SE with 8.1 due to bugs.

Thanks again!
    02-21-2016 11:06 PM
    I was on .36 for about 4 hours before I switched back to 8.1. WAY too buggy. I have been on .107 for several days now and it is running at least as well as 8.1 did on the phone. It's really night and day different.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    02-22-2016 10:11 AM
    PuckCowboy

Not sure if I finally saw this earlier in this thread or another but I answered my own question, as well as yours, pertaining to keeping the NOKIA name vs Samsung. You can change back to Samsung but will not be able to get updates through the Insider Slow, Insider Fast or Insider Release Preview but you will still get the Production updates when they come out. Again, this was read somewhere else, not my own experience.

As a side note, I've had no problems on .107. It runs great and runs smooth. In fact, I would say it runs even better than 8.1. My wife is still on 8.1 (she has an ATIV SE also) and I think W10M .107 build is slightly faster. Not to mention much more intuitive in its layout.

Have fun

UPDATE: I decided to change my phone back to Samsung instead of NOKIA. I ran the Insider Preview app and I still had the choice of update rings. Let's see what happens.

UPDATE 2: While changing my registry values to update to 14267.1004 (See Below) I noticed I still had the NOKIA model number in the registry. This leads me to believe if you don't care so much about that and more so about what the description states in the About I would suggest leaving the model name but go ahead and change the manufacturer back to Samsung. Like I stated above I still had all the update rings when changing just the mfg name.
    Last edited by rmabwing5; 02-24-2016 at 06:09 PM.
    02-23-2016 08:01 PM
    Hello there!! I registered on these forums in order to answer and share my experience as well: in my particular case, Ive update my Ativ SE to Windows 10 using the registry hack. Then I made a hard reset to the phone and now the original phone manufacturer as well the correct model appear on the "About" section of the config.

Going to the Insider app, Im not able to select Slow or Fast Ring. Only "Production Ring". I select that as well and I hope (why not) that we can receive future updates trought this ring :)

The only bug that I have these days ago was that some non Windows 10 apps (like Imdb or WhatsApp) dont work right or directly dont open. Then I remember the solution that another user of this forum share with us (by the way: Thanks a lot!! :D ): reinstall these apps that dont work properly or dont open. This happens to me a week ago and since then, I have no more problems. And I hope it stays that way.

If I can help to anyone who needs, Ill be very pleased to answer any question about this wonderfull operating system on our beloved Ativs SE :D

PD: sorry for my terrible english. I think I need more practice ^^U
    02-24-2016 12:00 PM
    Anybody try upgrading to the new Redstone preview build of 14267.1004 yet? Looks like there are a few doing it on the ATIV S with the following settings in registry edited:

Lumia 950
    HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
    "PhoneManufacturer"="MicrosoftMDG"
    "PhoneManufacturerModelName"="RM-1104_1078"

Someone in the ATIV S forum said it might actually be less smooth than .107. But curious nonetheless.
    02-24-2016 01:24 PM
    I just changed my registry values to what PuckCowboy mentioned above. Currently downloading 14267.1004 as I type this. Will let you all know how it goes.

PuckCowboy, the person in the ATIV S forum may be correct. The S has less "Impressiveness" than the SE. The SE has nearly the same specs as the Lumia 950, believe it or not...

UPDATE: Okay, all is looking good so far. No issues. Everything I tried (Outlook, Excel, Store, Edge) work fine. I know there are a lot of other apps to try, but that's it for now. Now I'm setting it up for Fast Ring again. Let's see if I continue to get updates. To Be Continued.........

UPDATE 2: Well, so far so good. The only thing I can see so far that is a little out of sorts is the keyboard. When trying to click a letter it will sometimes select the "key" next to it. I don't know if this is my finger accidentally selecting the key or if the actual keyboard is off slightly. It makes typing a little slower.
    Last edited by rmabwing5; 02-26-2016 at 08:31 AM.
    02-24-2016 06:05 PM
    Well, I tried to upgrade my wife's ATIV SE. Instead of using NOKIA I jumped straight to the Microsoft Lumia 950 and tried to do the upgrade to the latest insider version. I don't know if this was a mistake or not or I did something else wrong. Her phone is now in a boot loop. Going to try a hard reset when I get home but worse comes to worse I buy her a new phone.....
    02-25-2016 07:38 AM
500 ... 45678 ...