The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
You MUST begin this process with STOCK Windows phone 8.1.1 this means only OTA updates. If your phone is not on STOCK Windows Phone 8.1.1 then you need to flash back to 8.0 (there are many tutorials on this) and re-upgrade using OTA updates to 8.1.1.

Getting stuck at 8.0 and cant go to 8.1
any suggestions??
(Malaysian phone)

Brad Herr

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Ah sweet. One question. Will windows 10 allow apn settings to be changed? Will mms and tethering work for people not on Verizon?

Actually, yes. With just a few registry tweaks, I have Internet Sharing plus MMS and Mobile Data working properly on T-Mobile. I've posted the required tweaks before, so if you're interested, just take a peak at my comment history. It should work for any GSM provider, though you'll need to substitute your network's APN info.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Actually, yes. With just a few registry tweaks, I have Internet Sharing plus MMS and Mobile Data working properly on T-Mobile. I've posted the required tweaks before, so if you're interested, just take a peak at my comment history. It should work for any GSM provider, though you'll need to substitute your network's APN info.

Thanks bud. Will take a look as soon as my ativ se arrives. :)

asellite

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
No OTA updates available.... what a bummer..

Something isn't right, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get the OTA updates. There may be a guide out there to flash to 8.1.1. I've never looked but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Hayes Cooper19

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I've run into a snag and need to know if it's okay to proceed. I followed the steps to the letter, went to the insider app, applied for fast ring, then went to install updates and, instead of getting windows 10, I'm seeing an update for 8.10.14219.341. I can't retry the Insider update without installing the 8.10.14219 update, or else resetting the device and trying again. Which of these options would be safe, if any?

asellite

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
My non scientific, personal opinion, would be to push the update and retry the insider app after it's finished. I'm not a professional and I didn't run into this issue, but it's what I would do.

Hayes Cooper19

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I thought I'd come back and provide my results for the sake of anyone else who might run into this.

I was already thinking along the same line, so after your nudge I went ahead and pushed the update. After the device rebooted, I received a message that said there was one more step to get the device ready for windows 10, and that they would take care of it if I just connected to AC power. I did so, the device was configured and I was then able to download the 10581 update. I did so last night, and so far everything is really smooth. A few quirks, like occasional flickering and the Samsung WatchOn app doesn't work (which wasn't unexpected, since it's a Lumia software build and the Icon doesn't have an IR blaster. I never really used that feature so it didn't matter to me but, if for whatever reason, you can't live without that feature, that's something to think about. Also, I'm now not getting any haptic feedback when pressing the keys to the left and right of the home button. Again, insignificant and I'll gladly part with that for Windows 10, just wanted to be thorough. A huge thanks to you, Asellite, for taking the time to compile the work of those who discovered this method (a huge thanks to them as well) and composing a guide so easy anyone can follow it. My Ativ SE is in your debt.

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I forgot about the haptic feedback, but primarily because I had also turned it off when I had 8.1. I realized when I just installed 10 but quickly forgot about it

Hayes Cooper19

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else have updates for "call/message settings" and "APNs" popping up in the Store but erroring out with code 0x803f7000 when you try to download them?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile (10586)

So seeing as the "Shipping" version of Windows 10 Mobile (10586) was just pushed out today, I'm curious if any ATIV SE users will be upgrading to this release, and if so what their experiences are.

It sounds like 10581 was pretty smooth for all that tried it, and if this shipping release is even better, I think I'm going to dive in. Any and all info from those updating is truly appreciated :)

Thank you in advance!

(Apologies for double post, just wasn't sure if all WM10 on ATIV SE users read both threads.)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
It's working just fine so far with no issues...will update you as things progress

Great news and thanks for the update. Out of curiosity, how are you liking 10 vs 8.1 in general. I hear a lot of people complaining that the UI is not as smooth as 8.1 (almost Android-ish with hamburger menus, etc.) and some functionality has been removed. What are your thoughts so far? I'm on the fence and teetering on getting a Nexus phone vs keeping my ATIV SE (seeing as Verizon isnt planning on bringing any new Windows phone out for awhile, if ever). All info is truly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3