The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello; I need help. I just followed the procedure, it downloaded the update and installed and now it doesn't go pass blue window screen and it just restarts over and over.... Any chance that i can save this phone?. I don't know what to do now.

Thanks

The same thing happened to me. I just flashed back to 8.0, went through all of the updates again, and tried again. It worked the second time around. The only thing I did differently the second time was to do the factory reset from the menus instead of at power up. I don't think that that was the reason it worked the second time, though.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
What I meant by "tethering" was enabling wireless internet sharing without carrier approval. I assume it works just fine if you've purchased the option.

Ahhh, gotcha! Wi-Fi Tethering is part of the Shared Data Family plan I'm on with Verizon. So if it's working with 8.1, I assume it will work with 10?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Can't you guys use that registry hack to enable wifi tethering anyways? Thats what I did. :)

I personally don't know since I haven't done the upgrade yet. I did just buy a Like New ATIV SE on eBay for $50 as a test device before blowing up my 8.1 setup on my current ATIV SE. Will try it on that before making the switch over... if at all.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I did the hard reset and ok so far. Now of course my model is no longer Icon but ATIV-SE so no more windows insider loads until I can again change the model with the registry editor. I may hold of on that for a while until someone more knowledgeable than myself speaks to this.
Thanks
Bill

Techru

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
In response to chuy10:

Yes, that is normal. While you are connected to your PC and doing the regedit, you should be able to go back to the two parts that are changed in this process and see that it has "taken." If it still has the old reg settings, so it again. If it shows the changes, then go on to the next step in the process outlined by the guide. You are OK...keep going ;-)

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not promising this works on the SE because I don't have one right now but on the Verizon M8 registry changes are infinitely easier. Once you have 10 installed, put it into developer mode (settings>update & security>for developers) and sideload "RootTools.xap". This has registry editors for all types of Windows phones including a dedicated Samsung editor. It's a little rudimentary because you have to input the paths manually but it works. I haven't had any success with the patched PfD on 10.

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the guide to all involved! I managed to get this upgraded finally. I ran into a few issues where the registry entries wouldn't save. A few retries of closing and reopening the app and I realised that changes were being saved, but the message was saying otherwise (file not saved :( ). My only major issue now is that I can't seem to charge my phone. It's always very hot and after an over night charge it barely hits 20% charge. Nothing running as far as I can see. Any ideas how I can check what's killing the battery?

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the guide to all involved! I managed to get this upgraded finally. I ran into a few issues where the registry entries wouldn't save. A few retries of closing and reopening the app and I realised that changes were being saved, but the message was saying otherwise (file not saved :( ). My only major issue now is that I can't seem to charge my phone. It's always very hot and after an over night charge it barely hits 20% charge. Nothing running as far as I can see. Any ideas how I can check what's killing the battery?

THat happened to me as well, but it only happened while all the apps were restoring/updating. Afterwards it was back to normal

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The SE will get hot while updating or app restoring. But during normal usage, it's like any other device.

Sent from Acer One 10

alev_el

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Great job!!!

Just a concern, after downloading 10.0.10586.29 version; , phone reboots trying to install the update, the gears appears but in 10 seconds phone continues booting OS, a then this message: "can't update phone" try again, settings > phone update. 0x800736b5.

Thanks for your kindly support

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
THat happened to me as well, but it only happened while all the apps were restoring/updating. Afterwards it was back to normal

The SE will get hot while updating or app restoring. But during normal usage, it's like any other device.

Sent from Acer One 10

Unfortunately this isn't the case for me. It is still very hot all the time and my battery lasts just over around 85% charge (which takes forever to get there). It has been this way for a few days now. I have switched off NFC, Bluetooth, Location etc and I have even soft reset the phone a bunch of times, but it hasn't helped. When I look at what has been consuming the battery the top 2 thing are display and settings. I have had my display on auto and on 10% but there hasn't really been any real difference. Any other suggestions?

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately this isn't the case for me. It is still very hot all the time and my battery lasts just over around 85% charge (which takes forever to get there). It has been this way for a few days now. I have switched off NFC, Bluetooth, Location etc and I have even soft reset the phone a bunch of times, but it hasn't helped. When I look at what has been consuming the battery the top 2 thing are display and settings. I have had my display on auto and on 10% but there hasn't really been any real difference. Any other suggestions?

I guess I spoke too soon because now while mine isn't taking long to charge it's definitely running hot now. I don't know whats up. And that's since the hard reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire