The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I guess I spoke too soon because now while mine isn't taking long to charge it's definitely running hot now. I don't know whats up. And that's since the hard reset.

I dropped a feedback note regarding the battery use and noticed there are many reports on the battery issue and the heat of the phone. We are not the only ones there. Hopefully there is something we can do as I also unfortunately did a hard reset.

Does anybody after if after a hard reset and sideloading RootTool V2, one can get back on track for preview builds by just changing the 2 entries listed in the guide on p1?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I dropped a feedback note regarding the battery use and noticed there are many reports on the battery issue and the heat of the phone. We are not the only ones there. Hopefully there is something we can do as I also unfortunately did a hard reset.

Does anybody after if after a hard reset and sideloading RootTool V2, one can get back on track for preview builds by just changing the 2 entries listed in the guide on p1?

Registry edits do not survive hard resets. Gotta start from scratch.

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Registry edits do not survive hard resets. Gotta start from scratch.

Thanks for the reply. When you say from scratch do you mean 8->8.1.1->10 preview? Or just making the registry changes to phoneManufacturer and phoneManufacturerModel as per the guide in the last step, which specifically mentions the registry edits?

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I am fighting so hard not to roll back to 8.1. I love the W10M interface and how smoothly it runs but gosh, the battery life and the constant need to reinstall apps because they refuse to open is killing me ugh!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I am fighting so hard not to roll back to 8.1. I love the W10M interface and how smoothly it runs but gosh, the battery life and the constant need to reinstall apps because they refuse to open is killing me ugh!

That's really a bummer to hear. I heard MS pulled the10586.29 build from their regular servers due to installation issues. I'm wondering if while they are fixing those issue, they might incorporate a few more fixes when they re-release it. Someone else on the boards mentioned a new build was possibly coming this week to Insiders.

Anyone having similar issues of having to reinstall apps?

Hayes Cooper19

May 27, 2014
Visit site
That's really a bummer to hear. I heard MS pulled the10586.29 build from their regular servers due to installation issues. I'm wondering if while they are fixing those issue, they might incorporate a few more fixes when they re-release it. Someone else on the boards mentioned a new build was possibly coming this week to Insiders.

Anyone having similar issues of having to reinstall apps?

As I read blitz's post, it felt like I was reading my own. I'm getting horrible battery life, even LTE disabled when WiFi, and I run into at least one app per day that I have to reinstall. Last night, it was 3. The app starts to open, then screen freezes mid-animation and I'm left staring at my background wallpaper and, if I had the app in a folder, my folder name. And it's always an 8.1 app for me. The apps actually designed for W10 never run into this issue.

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
As I read blitz's post, it felt like I was reading my own. I'm getting horrible battery life, even LTE disabled when WiFi, and I run into at least one app per day that I have to reinstall. Last night, it was 3. The app starts to open, then screen freezes mid-animation and I'm left staring at my background wallpaper and, if I had the app in a folder, my folder name. And it's always an 8.1 app for me. The apps actually designed for W10 never run into this issue.
You're right it's always a wp8.1 app.
The w10M apps Tun pretty smooth, they even launch quickly without that dreaded 'loading' screen. I'm actually impressed with those apps. I'm also impressed with the number of UW apps being launched

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. When you say from scratch do you mean 8->8.1.1->10 preview? Or just making the registry changes to phoneManufacturer and phoneManufacturerModel as per the guide in the last step, which specifically mentions the registry edits?
Whatever you're on. If you're on 10, you'll have the opportunity to log in and restore from a backup or start fresh. I personally recommend a fresh install and spend a few extra minutes downloading your apps. A hard reset will never downgrade your OS. You have to flash via Windows Recovery Tool or in Samsung's case, Odin.

Hayes Cooper19

May 27, 2014
Visit site
You're right it's always a wp8.1 app.
The w10M apps Tun pretty smooth, they even launch quickly without that dreaded 'loading' screen. I'm actually impressed with those apps. I'm also impressed with the number of UW apps being launched

I concur. The universal apps I've used (Pandora and iHeartRadio are the only two that jump to mind) have been very impressive. If I never again see that blasted "loading/resuming" screen it'll be too soon.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Looks like a new mobile build is out today (.36) and will be the last of the year. I just got my backup ATIV SE and will finally throw throw WM10 it on later today.

Interested to hear what others experiences are with the new build. Merry Christmas!

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Tbh I think if I cant upgrade I might just leave it as is, because after looking at the things i need to do to roll back :/ sigh :(

Justin Smyth

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Its an australian one - Amaysim which uses optus out here. if i put the sim in my ATIV S Neo it works fine. just this ativ se doesn't show anything under mobile & sim

Hayes Cooper19

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Was able to change it! Downloading the update now :)
Whoa.. So, what I'm hearing is that we can hard reset, get back to the Ativ SE registry entries that will improve device performance, then change the registry again when it comes time to download an update without flashing back to WP8 and starting from scratch? If so, that's awesome!

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Was able to change it! Downloading the update now :)

Did you use RootTool V2 to change the settings? How is the battery on .36?

I unfortunately already gave up and went back to 8.1.1 - I had it on charge on build .29 all night and it went from 9% to 16%. That was my ticket out.

I guess I will wait until a more stable build is up but I do miss W10 on the Ativ SE - really slick, smooth and quick overall.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hope this isn't a stupid question, but where exactly do I find RootTool V2.xap? I can't seem to ind it online. Link? Any and all help is truly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos