The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Google "roottool.xap"

Thanks fatclue. I was Googling RootTool V2 and not getting anything. I found a roottool.xap via XDA, so Im going to try that.

However, the next stupid question is, how do I actually Sideload the app once I changed over to developer mode in the settings? I know it was accessible via the store in 8.1, but read in 10 you can just load it by clicking the file from the root of the SD Card. I tried that but it didn't install. What am I doing wrong?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Last edited:

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks fatclue. I was Googling RootTool V2 and not getting anything. I found a roottool.xap via XDA, so Im going to try that.

However, the next stupid question is, how do I actually Sideload the app once I changed over to developer mode in the settings? I know it was accessible via the store in 8.1, but read in 10 you can just load it by clicking the file from the root of the SD Card. I tried that but it didn't install. What am I doing wrong?

Instructions to sideload the app and a link tthe app itself is included can be seen in the original post

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
No, 8.1 works fine.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm stuck :(

I keep getting hung up on these exact steps:

6. Browse and select the CustomPFD_003.xap that we put in the root directory of the SD Card
7. Click the “APPLY XAP” Button

When I click APPLY, I get an error message that says "The operation didn't complete successfully...."

I'm currently on the latest build of Windows 10 mobile, but would like to get this side-loading thing working so I can install the RootTool app among a couple others. Not sure if I'm missing anything or what, but it's just not working.

Any and all info is truly appreciated.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, looks like I'm all set... almost!

Thank you everyone for the help as well! I've got my secondary ATIV SE up and running with the latest version of WM10 and all my apps installed as well. I'm really loving WM10 (look & functionality) thus far and everything is working very smoothly (so far).

However, the only issues Im running into at the moment are trying to get the HERE apps sideloaded onto the device. I'm trying to follow this XDA thread with no luck:

[Interop][Windows 10 Mobile] How to install ?€? - Pg. 5 | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

Anyone else successfully get these loaded on? I ask because they are not available via the store at the moment.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
After a hard reset before .36 tunein radio store app said not compatible with my device. It was also listed as not compatible in my store library. After .36 and no hard reset it showed up not compatible on the store but I was able to download from the my library section of the store. I used it for a while then it quit working. No longer downloadable. Anyone using this app?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
So I just noticed I'm unable to tether my with my ATIV SE on WM 10 but had no issues doing so on 8.1. I'm on Verizon and have made no changes to my account, but I'm getting an error code that says "call 611 or go to VerizonWireless.com to activate the feature." Any and all help is truly appreciated!

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
So I just noticed I'm unable to tether my with my ATIV SE on WM 10 but had no issues doing so on 8.1. I'm on Verizon and have made no changes to my account, but I'm getting an error code that says "call 611 or go to VerizonWireless.com to activate the feature." Any and all help is truly appreciated!

Been around for a long time when we talked tethering and reverse tethering. If your talking internet sharing. I did not have any problem. Just paired my Surface pro and Surface Pro 3 and was able to use the ATIV-SE to get on the inter-webs..

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
After about a week after the hard reset a number of apps quit working. I was thinking this could be hardware and was preparing to do the procedure for W10 on my original device that still had WP8.1. I held off on that and took stock of what apps they were. I am going to proceed with the thought that these apps are simply not compatible with ATIV-SE with W10M. They will install but go south after a while. I may eventually make a list of these apps if anyone is interested.

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
After about a week after the hard reset a number of apps quit working. I was thinking this could be hardware and was preparing to do the procedure for W10 on my original device that still had WP8.1. I held off on that and took stock of what apps they were. I am going to proceed with the thought that these apps are simply not compatible with ATIV-SE with W10M. They will install but go south after a while. I may eventually make a list of these apps if anyone is interested.

I'm definitely interested

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely interested

toolkit pro
tip calculator
windows central
Accurate tuner pro
amazon kindle
adobe reader
amazon app
copilot usa
ebay
fandango
my Verizon Mobil
old phone ring tones
preview for developers
qrcode+
signal generator
speedtest.net
Hardware Tests

Last edited:

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
toolkit pro
tip calculator
windows central
Accurate tuner pro
amazon kindle
adobe reader
amazon app
copilot usa
ebay
fandango
my Verizon Mobil
old phone ring tones
preview for developers
qrcode+
signal generator
speedtest.net
Hardware Tests

What do you think guys, are these because they are not universal apps? any clue. They last about a week. I put toolkit pro back on but I'm going to think about the others as I am tired of this. Really don't want to go back to 8.1.

Thanks
Bill

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I may have to go back to 8.1 also. My first two weeks were nearly flawless (wifi settings menu crashes, but that was it) but some time around the first of the year things started going to crap. The live tile on the MSN money app doesn't work anymore. My battery life went stupid out of nowhere (maybe 9 hours of standby time!), and just now my back and search buttons stopped working, and when I shut down, the phone wouldn't start back up even 5 minutes later, until I pulled the battery.

Background: installed .29 the day before .36 came out, then updated to .36 and used the zombie reg editor to change my mfg and model back to the correct values. No hard reset.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm having an issue getting the latest build (x.63) When I go to Windows Insider, I keep getting the "Server Error" message saying it can't connect to the server. Anyone know how to fix this or get around this?

Looking like I may be going back to 8.1 as well. Having some issues with a few apps, network connection dropping out, and the biggest thing is I can't get Tether to work. Any info on how to get the latest WM10 Insider Mobile Build on my phone is truly appreciated!

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
so here's something interesting. I never did a hard reset, but my Preview for Developers app no longer appears in my app list so I can't go and change my registry entries to the Nokia items to get build 63. I went to the store and it says it's already installed. Not sure what I would have done to cause this, but I guess I'm gonna have to use root tool v2 to do my registry changes now.

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
so here's something interesting. I never did a hard reset, but my Preview for Developers app no longer appears in my app list so I can't go and change my registry entries to the Nokia items to get build 63. I went to the store and it says it's already installed. Not sure what I would have done to cause this, but I guess I'm gonna have to use root tool v2 to do my registry changes now.

Use Root Tool. After the initial setup that's all you will need.

hayescooper19

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks,

I'm thinking of selling my SE on eBay, and doing so with W10M still installed. Before I do so, I wanted to consult the brain trust and make sure I was safe erasing my phone, in the event that I sell it. If I do so, will the person who buys it still be able to download insider updates?

Thanks, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon