The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Download manufacturers app and scroll to access point in it. Install it and save whatever apn u want to then u can tether ur ativ se via internet sharing

Here is the list of apps I get in Manufacturers Apps app:
Facebook
YouTube
Yammer
Bing Weather
Bing News
Bing Sports
Bing Finance
Bing Food & Drink
Bing Health & Fitness
Bing Travel
Translater
OneDrive
PDF Reader
Weather
Fresh Paint
Photosynth
Level
Unit Converter
Xbox Video
Xbox Music
Xbox 360 SmartGlass
Xbox One SmartGlass
Xbox Extras
Sudoku
Wordament
Minesweeper
Breeze
Flowerz
Halo: SA Lite
AlphaJax
Network Speed Test
Office Remote
socl
BLINK
Face Swap
Face Touch
Free Mask
Academic Search

As you can see these are all MS apps. Again, I think I only get these because my phone is set up to be a Lumia 950 not a NOKIA RM-427

Then under Velostep menu I get the following app choices:

Chameleon
WowPad Full Version
CCPlayer
WowPad MK
WowPad TK
CCPlayer Free
Manufacturer Apps
WowPad MK (Advertising)
WowPad TK (Advertising)

Again, I think these are are either MS or affiliated somehow to MS apps.

lkpchennai

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes, but that is my question. Does anyone know the settings for Verizon? I've looked online but can't find a clear answer for this phone.

I am not using in Verizon so not sure.
Search for apn-settings.com verizon 4g lte apn settings detailed configuration
You will get the site which gives the details. Somehow i cant post link here

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I am not using in Verizon so not sure.
Search for apn-settings.com verizon 4g lte apn settings detailed configuration
You will get the site which gives the details. Somehow i cant post link here

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I thought the phone came with Verizon APN settings built into it. I figured they persisted after upgrading to windows 10.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Which is weird. Puckcowboy said he was on Verizon.

Yes, when I upgraded to 10, I lost my tethering wifi hotspot ability. I couldn't even turn it on as it gave me an error message saying I should contact Verizon to have them "turn it on." Using the Access Point app above, I'm now able to turn on the switch just from having added an APN named "Verizon" however I really didnt put in any settings. Everything is blank. Just want to make sure I don't need to add anything else int he settings.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Yes, when I upgraded to 10, I lost my tethering wifi hotspot ability. I couldn't even turn it on as it gave me an error message saying I should contact Verizon to have them "turn it on." Using the Access Point app above, I'm now able to turn on the switch just from having added an APN named "Verizon" however I really didnt put in any settings. Everything is blank. Just want to make sure I don't need to add anything else int he settings.

Does it let you connect?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey All, I've been running the latest Insider Preview version for almost a week now. Earlier I mentioned the keyboard being a little off but somehow it seems to have fixed itself. I can type quite accurately on it now. Anyway, all is still working great. I did have one time where my phone rebooted itself, but that happens anyways, even on Android....go figure. The only other thing I can think of that is odd is that the Groove Music app decided to shut down one day but only once and I haven't had a problem since. Oh, another thing, I don't know if it's the app or possibly connection loss but Pandora doesn't keep playing my channel I select. After two or three songs it just doesn't play anymore. Maybe that's for another thread or even forum, I don't know. Well, till next time...take care all.

Hayes Cooper19

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I seem to have run into an issue on 10586.107, where I can't take a screenshot. Has anyone else encountered this issue and, if so, have you found a way to fix it?

As always, thanks advance for your help.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi all. I seem to have run into an issue on 10586.107, where I can't take a screenshot. Has anyone else encountered this issue and, if so, have you found a way to fix it?

As always, thanks advance for your help.

Volume up and power? Works for me.
60a3f1d67f44c0aac09a49aa801570a0.png

apollagawr

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I dont know if its something weird with my phone or not, but I cant get the windows 10 preview to work because my Ativ SE just wont update to 8.1, Tried numerous resets/factory resets and it still wont give me a 8.1 update. I've tried with/without sim card (bought phone on eBay so dont have a verizon simcard) and no luck.

Anyone else experience anything similar or have any suggestions? I seen people say they changed the registry to a Lumia Icon; would this be an adequate solution? I would be estatic with windows 10, but i'd live for windows 8.1 at this point =/

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I dont know if its something weird with my phone or not, but I cant get the windows 10 preview to work because my Ativ SE just wont update to 8.1, Tried numerous resets/factory resets and it still wont give me a 8.1 update. I've tried with/without sim card (bought phone on eBay so dont have a verizon simcard) and no luck.

Anyone else experience anything similar or have any suggestions? I seen people say they changed the registry to a Lumia Icon; would this be an adequate solution? I would be estatic with windows 10, but i'd live for windows 8.1 at this point =/

I would reflash 8.0 gdr3 using the guide in the first post, then try upgrading to 8.1.

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
With too many positive posts about .71... I decided (for the second time) to do the upgrade. The first time I had to revert back to 8.1 because my phone was permanently hot and battery lasted around 1.5 - 2hrs. It was horrible. Apps worked mostly ok with only the odd WP8 apps closing now and then.

So I got started and having done this before, I got of to a great start. Within the the first hour of running .71, unfortunately my phone starts getting hotter and hotter. I think to myself might be due to the 30+ updates coming from the store, but I soon notice the battery getting killed again. Even after all updates are done the battery drains really quickly without anything running. This makes me sad :cry:.

After around 5 hours I decide to look for more app and system updates. I notice the .122 update show up after having selected slow ring on windows insider. At this point the phone is hardly charging even when plugged in, so I decide to do the .122 update.

That was last night. Battery is a little better today, but even then I was out for lunch earlier for around 1 hr, it went from 100% charge to 62% with minor use (email and whatsapp).

I haven't done any soft or hard resets. All apps seem to work well with no crashes so far. I still have the Nokia settings and the Nokia Access Point installed (this was great - as soon as I installed it my operator settings were immediately picked up automatically configured) so MMS and Hotspot work like a dream.

Except for this disgusting battery, the rest of the features and general performance one might argue that it is better than what I had on 8.1.

Anybody else have this battery draining issue or have any ideas what I can do to potentially fix it?

taufiqueativ

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi, thanks a lot for your effort. Finally after a long wait, I hv Windows 10 now ☺
Everything is working fine, but I hv been facing issue in downloading additional language pack, getting below error. Pls help, since as per your post I cannot hard reset also. ,:(

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070020)

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
With too many positive posts about .71... I decided (for the second time) to do the upgrade. The first time I had to revert back to 8.1 because my phone was permanently hot and battery lasted around 1.5 - 2hrs. It was horrible. Apps worked mostly ok with only the odd WP8 apps closing now and then.

So I got started and having done this before, I got of to a great start. Within the the first hour of running .71, unfortunately my phone starts getting hotter and hotter. I think to myself might be due to the 30+ updates coming from the store, but I soon notice the battery getting killed again. Even after all updates are done the battery drains really quickly without anything running. This makes me sad :cry:.

After around 5 hours I decide to look for more app and system updates. I notice the .122 update show up after having selected slow ring on windows insider. At this point the phone is hardly charging even when plugged in, so I decide to do the .122 update.

That was last night. Battery is a little better today, but even then I was out for lunch earlier for around 1 hr, it went from 100% charge to 62% with minor use (email and whatsapp).

I haven't done any soft or hard resets. All apps seem to work well with no crashes so far. I still have the Nokia settings and the Nokia Access Point installed (this was great - as soon as I installed it my operator settings were immediately picked up automatically configured) so MMS and Hotspot work like a dream.

Except for this disgusting battery, the rest of the features and general performance one might argue that it is better than what I had on 8.1.

Anybody else have this battery draining issue or have any ideas what I can do to potentially fix it?
Yes i had battery draining issue. Mine drained in about 2hrs use. Like windows 10 very much. But this issue made me roll back to 8.1 and i hate 8.1 now after using win10. Apart from camera and battery issue everything was awesome.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes i had battery draining issue. Mine drained in about 2hrs use. Like windows 10 very much. But this issue made me roll back to 8.1 and i hate 8.1 now after using win10. Apart from camera and battery issue everything was awesome.

I haven't had any battery or camera issues. But I'm running 14267.1004 in which I had to fool my phone into thinking it was a Lumia 950. If battery issues keep happening, and if you want to try this, follow the instructions PuckCowboy found (his post is earlier in this thread and I reposted below). It's quite easy to do.

Here's his post:
"""""""" Anybody try upgrading to the new Redstone preview build of 14267.1004 yet? Looks like there are a few doing it on the ATIV S with the following settings in registry edited:

Lumia 950
HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
"PhoneManufacturer"="MicrosoftMDG"
"PhoneManufacturerModelName"="RM-1104_1078"

Someone in the ATIV S forum said it might actually be less smooth than .107. But curious nonetheless. """"""""

For the record, I've had no performance issues whatsoever. You will have to side load Root Tool V2 and then change your registry per above. One thing to keep in mind, do the NOKIA registry settings first and get 10586, then side load Root Tool V2, then do the Lumia 950 registry settings, then get 14267. I tried going straight to 14267 on my wife's phone and messed it up. Had to reflash back to 8.0 then upgrade and start over. I would not recommend this....:straight:

Battery life on my ATIV SE is great. With some data, WiFi, Bluetooth, and network my battery lasts minimum one and half days without charge. I also work in a building where signal is null and the phone is constantly looking for the network. Those times I'm not at work and nearer to home, where reception is much better, I can get at least two days out of the battery.

As for the camera, the only thing I can say is that sometimes it doesn't like to focus, but that happened to at least one of my previous Android phones also. So, I don't consider it an issue.

One more thing, I'm not sure if it's the phone, Windows 10 mobile or Groove Music, but music will go wonky once in a while, meaning it will start one song then all of a sudden stop and start another one without notice. Sometimes just stops altogether.

Well, gotta go, take care.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the plug rmabwing5! Quick question however, I noticed another new build 10586.164 is now available. Is there an advantage to 14267 Redstone build over the 10586 build line?

Im still on 10586 and waiting to switch over until I hear I know more.

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I haven't had any battery or camera issues. But I'm running 14267.1004 in which I had to fool my phone into thinking it was a Lumia 950. If battery issues keep happening, and if you want to try this, follow the instructions PuckCowboy found (his post is earlier in this thread and I reposted below). It's quite easy to do.

Here's his post:
"""""""" Anybody try upgrading to the new Redstone preview build of 14267.1004 yet? Looks like there are a few doing it on the ATIV S with the following settings in registry edited:

Lumia 950
HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
"PhoneManufacturer"="MicrosoftMDG"
"PhoneManufacturerModelName"="RM-1104_1078"

Someone in the ATIV S forum said it might actually be less smooth than .107. But curious nonetheless. """"""""

For the record, I've had no performance issues whatsoever. You will have to side load Root Tool V2 and then change your registry per above. One thing to keep in mind, do the NOKIA registry settings first and get 10586, then side load Root Tool V2, then do the Lumia 950 registry settings, then get 14267. I tried going straight to 14267 on my wife's phone and messed it up. Had to reflash back to 8.0 then upgrade and start over. I would not recommend this....:straight:

Battery life on my ATIV SE is great. With some data, WiFi, Bluetooth, and network my battery lasts minimum one and half days without charge. I also work in a building where signal is null and the phone is constantly looking for the network. Those times I'm not at work and nearer to home, where reception is much better, I can get at least two days out of the battery.

As for the camera, the only thing I can say is that sometimes it doesn't like to focus, but that happened to at least one of my previous Android phones also. So, I don't consider it an issue.

One more thing, I'm not sure if it's the phone, Windows 10 mobile or Groove Music, but music will go wonky once in a while, meaning it will start one song then all of a sudden stop and start another one without notice. Sometimes just stops altogether.

Well, gotta go, take care.

well thank you. i will try to do this but the thing is ativ se is my primary phone. i want it to be stable at least battery wise. so will that be a good decision because i dont have wi-fi here so i use my cellular data through hotspot. and if i need to roll back it will be a wste of money for me too. so tell me is it very much good with battery?

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I updated to .164 a few minutes ago. My battery was super low so I can tell how it is only after it charges, and I have used it for a bit. Will let you know tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss