The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Had to roll back to wp8.1. 40% battery drain in 2 hours of standby. Was great for half a month then all of a sudden this drain. Was running .107 and of course did a hard reset. I don't install very many apps. Will try again someday. :)

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
well thank you. i will try to do this but the thing is ativ se is my primary phone. i want it to be stable at least battery wise. so will that be a good decision because i dont have wi-fi here so i use my cellular data through hotspot. and if i need to roll back it will be a wste of money for me too. so tell me is it very much good with battery?

Like I mentioned, my battery lasts minimum two days without charging as long as I'm using it nominally and I'm in a good network area. If in a not so good network area and using data and such I have stretched it to one and a half days but generally a day is what I get out of it if using for streaming music, multiple texts and phone calls and in an area where the phone is searching for a network but can't find it. Keep in mind, battery life is dependent on so many variable (usage, network search, online usage, etc.) so my results may not be the same as yours but it should last, even with moderate to heavy usage, at least six to eight hours maybe more, even a whole day.

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Will be waiting

Unfortunately I do not bring good news. The .164 update installed fine and so far I have had no real stability issues, but the battery is still terrible. No change from before - still lasts about 2hrs max after a full charge. I saw that they said .164 supposedly fixed some battery draining issues, but whatever is affecting this isn't fixed yet.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the plug rmabwing5! Quick question however, I noticed another new build 10586.164 is now available. Is there an advantage to 14267 Redstone build over the 10586 build line?

Im still on 10586 and waiting to switch over until I hear I know more.

well thank you. i will try to do this but the thing is ativ se is my primary phone. i want it to be stable at least battery wise. so will that be a good decision because i dont have wi-fi here so i use my cellular data through hotspot. and if i need to roll back it will be a wste of money for me too. so tell me is it very much good with battery?

Battery life is incredible, Redstone is quite quick on the SE, and overall stability is quite good. I'm not sure about .164 from the 10586 line but I personally think 14267 is a much better build. Think of it this way, Microsoft released this build to its own Lumias. Only the best for them.

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
At this point I am willing to try 14267. I'm on 10586.164 - if I understand you correctly, I simply have to sideload Root Tool V2, then change the registry settings to a Lumia 950 as such:

HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
"PhoneManufacturer"="MicrosoftMDG"
"PhoneManufacturerModelName"="RM-1104_1078"

And then what? Windows insider set to Slow ring?

Thanks

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
At this point I am willing to try 14267. I'm on 10586.164 - if I understand you correctly, I simply have to sideload Root Tool V2, then change the registry settings to a Lumia 950 as such:

HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
"PhoneManufacturer"="MicrosoftMDG"
"PhoneManufacturerModelName"="RM-1104_1078"

And then what? Windows insider set to Slow ring?

Thanks

Set it to fast ring

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Let us know your thoughts also MrSpidey. I'd be interested in seeing if the 14267 build works better than the10586 build for others as well. Thanks!

Yes. I especially want to know if the battery is better or on par with this:
a7ff37683d1c8ce166dfdbb556128090.png

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Kevin,

Here is an indication of my battery life. Full charge at 6:00 AM -> I then played Groove Music (non-streaming) music for approximately 40 minutes while driving to work -> While at work my reception sucks, especially in the building, so it looks for signal constantly; this was only for about 15 minutes -> I then drove about 70 minutes to school listening to Groove Music (non-streaming), it is noteworthy to say I was driving to a city where reception is 100% -> After class I drove 70 minutes back to work, again, listening to Groove Music (non-streaming) -> I was at work for the remainder of the day, about 5 hours and 30 minutes. After work I listened to Groove Music (non-streaming) again on the way home, about 40 minutes. During the day I used it very little except to look something up before class and and read a couple emails and texts. I was also on the phone tonight for about 2 minutes. So, overall usage was moderate and equaled approximately 13 hours and 30 minutes. As you can see from my screen shot below, I have 16 hours and 43 minutes left or 50% battery life. If you do the math you can see if it compares to what I am getting. As I stated in an earlier post, battery life can be different for any given user because of usage, connection, etc. So, take my numbers and compare. See if you get something close.

wp_ss_20160310_0002[1].jpg

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Kevin,

Here is an indication of my battery life. Full charge at 6:00 AM -> I then played Groove Music (non-streaming) music for approximately 40 minutes while driving to work -> While at work my reception sucks, especially in the building, so it looks for signal constantly; this was only for about 15 minutes -> I then drove about 70 minutes to school listening to Groove Music (non-streaming), it is noteworthy to say I was driving to a city where reception is 100% -> After class I drove 70 minutes back to work, again, listening to Groove Music (non-streaming) -> I was at work for the remainder of the day, about 5 hours and 30 minutes. After work I listened to Groove Music (non-streaming) again on the way home, about 40 minutes. During the day I used it very little except to look something up before class and and read a couple emails and texts. I was also on the phone tonight for about 2 minutes. So, overall usage was moderate and equaled approximately 13 hours and 30 minutes. As you can see from my screen shot below, I have 16 hours and 43 minutes left or 50% battery life. If you do the math you can see if it compares to what I am getting. As I stated in an earlier post, battery life can be different for any given user because of usage, connection, etc. So, take my numbers and compare. See if you get something close.

View attachment 123496

I wish my battery got 25% out of what you get.

Unfortunately I do not bring good news. Battery is about the same, if not worse (if that is even possible). It's still hot almost all the time. Really really disappointing, I'm not going to lie.

That aside, I do see the issue of the camera not focusing (using ativ se camera app) and Groove randomly stopping mid track so you have to restart the song.

Overall it seems to be snappier than 107, so apps load way faster and switching between apps seems to be faster. Or maybe the animation is faster so if feels faster? Tough to call. However, the keyboard has a weird tiny lag to it. It just doesn't feels as responsive as 107. It's quite unpleasant at first, but you kinda get used to it.

I has a few issues with a couple of 8.1 apps, which I simply reinstalled and they now work.

Rmabwing5 needs to give us some of his secret sauce.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I wish my battery got 25% out of what you get.

Unfortunately I do not bring good news. Battery is about the same, if not worse (if that is even possible). It's still hot almost all the time. Really really disappointing, I'm not going to lie.

That aside, I do see the issue of the camera not focusing (using ativ se camera app) and Groove randomly stopping mid track so you have to restart the song.

Overall it seems to be snappier than 107, so apps load way faster and switching between apps seems to be faster. Or maybe the animation is faster so if feels faster? Tough to call. However, the keyboard has a weird tiny lag to it. It just doesn't feels as responsive as 107. It's quite unpleasant at first, but you kinda get used to it.

I has a few issues with a couple of 8.1 apps, which I simply reinstalled and they now work.

Rmabwing5 needs to give us some of his secret sauce.

True. I wish I could get that kind of battery usage. Although when I was on .107 I didn't have any camera focus problem in the ativ camera app that everyone is complaining about. (maybe my eyes are really terrible). And my battery on .107 was great until about half a month went by, then it went to $*%&. Ah well. I have no problem waiting until someone says: "new version... No issues whatsoever" I'm also hoping Cortana is a little more robust like her 8.1 counterpart.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

My wife just told me that her ATIV SE, which I upgraded to 14267 also, battery isn't lasting. I'm no expert when it comes to batteries but maybe those that are getting bad battery life have defective batteries. Again, I haven't investigated it yet to really tell, but based on my phone/battery, I would think maybe it is a battery issue and not a Win build issue. Anyone else have any ideas? As a side note, I bought both of our SE's on Ebay at the same time from the same seller who was selling them as Manufacturer Refurbs, so who knows what kind of life you can get out of the battery you get. Another note, I really didn't pay attention to her battery life before upgrading.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know and I will do my best to look into it. With my busy schedule, I can't promise immediate replies but I will try to get to it as soon as possible. And again, NOT AN EXPERT. Just someone trying to help one SE owner at a time... or more than one :smile:

Take care

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
There may be such cases, but I am positive in this case it is a software issue. In my case as soon as I went back to 8.1 battery was fantastic again. Now going to W10 it's just been terrible.

We need to remember W10 is still in very much beta and in most cases, battery drainage is the last thing they will fix.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
There may be such cases, but I am positive in this case it is a software issue. In my case as soon as I went back to 8.1 battery was fantastic again. Now going to W10 it's just been terrible.

We need to remember W10 is still in very much beta and in most cases, battery drainage is the last thing they will fix.

Okay, well, I'm not sure why W10 would cause battery problems with some and not others like myself. I will investigate a little.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Okay, on another thread I found others having battery drain issues on their Lumias. What I found was two things to try.

First:
Shut off all unessential background apps.

Second - From Thomas Dewangga at http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...ows-10-phone-10536-massive-battery-drain.html:

"Just try to put your phone to dead (0%/goodbye message) by keep using it. And then leave your dead phone without charge it for about 5-6 hours, maybe more (I don't know, I left my phone dead on night sleep). And then put it on charger BUT make it offline mode, or airplane mode so nobody can bother your phone. Don't use your phone until 100% charged and wait for more 1 hour still plugged in charger."

I will try this with my wife's phone and let you know how it goes.

Take Care

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately I do not bring good news. The .164 update installed fine and so far I have had no real stability issues, but the battery is still terrible. No change from before - still lasts about 2hrs max after a full charge. I saw that they said .164 supposedly fixed some battery draining issues, but whatever is affecting this isn't fixed yet.

Again today updated to win10 now battery seem better than before. I did some stuff which was not step wise in guide. But battery holds better than before. In my case microsoft edge is the culprit for battery drainage i guess

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
battery now is little bit better from last time when i updated on win10.removed from charger at 100% at 8.00am and now i it is 62% at 1pm usage was moderate but continue cellular data was on. phone gets a little warm. and battery drain is little bit fast. i think this was with 8.1 also when i updated it for firat time it took about a week to stabilize. i think here too it is the same. still i am waiting for the battery to get same as on wp8.1. i am on build .105 will update to .164 in the evening.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Where is everyone? No reply since last 3 days.

Sorry, been busy losing my job due to workforce reduction. Not a good thing. Anyway.......

Update: I performed the battery drain till dead and recharged my wife's phone; After charging full, it said she had 7 days and 19 hours left. Not quite sure I believe that but that's what it said. I did the same thing with mine to see if I could get any better than the 2 days and some hours; no luck there. Still the same 2 days and some hours. That's just another reason I don't believe hers.

So, bottom line, try the battery dead thing if you haven't yet. It might work. Another thing, as mentioned before, make sure you turn off useless background apps; they can drain a battery quickly. Also, how is your phone network signal? If that is week or null, the phone will keep trying to find one. When in areas with week or no signal put the phone in airplane mode; this will stop the phone from seeking a network. If you need wifi or bluetooth, you can turn those back on in settings with airplane mode still on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb