The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Battery seems to be very good. I don't do a whole lot of web browsing so I can't say for sure about that. But, here are the settings for getting the same build I have. You will have to side load Root Tool V2 to change the registry to the following, if you haven't done so already.

Lumia 950
HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
"PhoneManufacturer"="MicrosoftMDG"
"PhoneManufacturerModelName"="RM-1104_1078"

You should then get the latest build for the Lumia 950. Let me know it goes.

Where can i find root tool v2. I tried but i get zip file. I did not find any xap file. And what tool to use for sideloading? Can u explain the whole process to me plz?

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Battery seems to be very good. I don't do a whole lot of web browsing so I can't say for sure about that. But, here are the settings for getting the same build I have. You will have to side load Root Tool V2 to change the registry to the following, if you haven't done so already.

Lumia 950

The SE chipset is different than the 950; will this still work? Also, everywhere I look it says the 950 is RM-1118?

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
The SE chipset is different than the 950; will this still work?

Definitely. Those are the settings I'm currently using. The chipsets are actually quite similar. The speed of the SE is actually much faster. On a funnier side to it, I got a few emails from Microsoft with tips and tricks related to my "Lumia 950". They don't know it's a Samsung ATIV SE. :wink:

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Man that's funny!

So...I tried upgrading straight to 950 OS by using RM-1118; my phone was recognized and updates were downloaded and installed; everything looked normal until the final restart, then I ended up back where I started at 8.1.1. So then I tried your suggested credentials, downloaded and 'installed'; after all the song and dance - same thing; ended up back at 8.1.1. So, went back to trying NOKIA and RM - 927; everything went smoothly; I'm up and running 10586.107. So happy with this! I can actually text; for some reason my MMS is working (it didn't on my other phone; I have two unlocked SE's I play around with). :sweaty:

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

Lumia 950

In root tool app where will i find phone manufacturer like it was in preview for developers. Please guide me thru this

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Just giving you an update.

I have been on 1429.1001 for a few days now - very stable from what I can see and unfortunately battery is still terrible and phone is permanently hot.

I haven't had a single w10 build with decent battery at this stage. I have tried disabling 90% of all background apps including text messaging, edge, people etc. Skype is disconnected from text and skype video. Skype app and almost every other non standard app uninstalled - made almost 0 difference.

Very disappointing.

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Just giving you an update.

I have been on 1429.1001 for a few days now - very stable from what I can see and unfortunately battery is still terrible and phone is permanently hot.

I haven't had a single w10 build with decent battery at this stage. I have tried disabling 90% of all background apps including text messaging, edge, people etc. Skype is disconnected from text and skype video. Skype app and almost every other non standard app uninstalled - made almost 0 difference.

Very disappointing.

Can you tell me what things to change in root tool app?
I too had battery issues but again i updated to win10 n battery now is good from before. Just good and nothing like 8.1 . Still i will give it a try. Just tell me what is procedure to use root tool app

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I just found out something; when I tried to go into Root Tool just now, the only thing that shows up is a square with an X in it. I even tried reinstalling it. I'm guessing Root Tool is no longer compatible with the version of Win10 I'm running. Any guesses?

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I just found out something; when I tried to go into Root Tool just now, the only thing that shows up is a square with an X in it. I'm guessing Root Tool is no longer compatible with the version of Win10 I'm running. Any guesses?

Here i m asking about how to use it and you are asking about issues.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I was able to do the registry edit and now downloading the update. Interent connection is quite slow. Will update later about how my ativ se behaves after update

Cool, Glad you figured it out. I haven't had a chance to figure out yet why Root Tool isn't working anymore. Maybe a Root Tool update is necessary; until then I guess I'm stuck with a phone that thinks its a Lumia 950. :grin: Let us know how it goes.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I just found out something; when I tried to go into Root Tool just now, the only thing that shows up is a square with an X in it. I even tried reinstalling it. I'm guessing Root Tool is no longer compatible with the version of Win10 I'm running. Any guesses?

Same thing with mine; i'm not going to worry about it for a while; i'm super happy with 10586.107; it's running cool and battery seems fine; i'm keeping my screen brightness at 50% or lower. This phone is awesome!

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Cool, Glad you figured it out. I haven't had a chance to figure out yet why Root Tool isn't working anymore. Maybe a Root Tool update is necessary; until then I guess I'm stuck with a phone that thinks its a Lumia 950. :grin: Let us know how it goes.

Have you tried reinstalling root tool?

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
How is your battery on web browsing?

My phone ran hot and drained battery while I was downloading my 200 or so apps, while I re-set up my start screen tiles, while I got everything up and running again. After that, everything settled down and I don't notice any excess drain. I'll know better in a day or so...

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Can you tell me what things to change in root tool app?
I too had battery issues but again i updated to win10 n battery now is good from before. Just good and nothing like 8.1 . Still i will give it a try. Just tell me what is procedure to use root tool app

My 8.1 battery was amazing. Even when I went back to 8.1 from 1w0 it was still amazing. Now that I am back to w10 for the 2nd time, I really don't know wth is going on. The only thing I can think of is something relating to the screen - at any point when I change the screen brightness, from automatic to 25%, to manually setting it at 19% and I switch off the screen, and then bring it back on - it's always very very bright. I have a feeling that is what's killing the battery - somehow it's not retaining the settings or it is, but for some reason it's always at max brightness. Any ideas would be appreciated.

To answer your question, I can't recall the exact settings for root tool, but basically it's explained earlier. I think when you launch it pick the registry editor for all phones and then:

Go TO
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (HKLM) -> SYSTEM -> Platform -> DeviceTargetingInfo

In there change:

"PhoneManufacturer" to "MicrosoftMDG"
and

"PhoneManufacturerModelName" to "RM-1104_1078"

That should do it for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics