The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Ricardo,

I had a bad experience going straight to the Lumia 950 settings so if you haven't done so change your registry to the NOKIA RM-427 first, perform the insider preview update then side load Root Tool V2 and then change registry values to the following:

Lumia 950
HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
"PhoneManufacturer"="MicrosoftMDG"
"PhoneManufacturerModelName"="RM-1104_1078"

If you need more instructions on how to change to the NOKIA or even the Lumia settings they are outlined earlier in this thread.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Rmabwing, I dont think it should be necessary for everyone to have to risk going to the Lumia 950 registries when Redstone has just graduated to the slow ring for everyone, dont you think? Having them set to the Lumia 930 or the 1520 should work just as well now, no?

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Rmabwing, I dont think it should be necessary for everyone to have to risk going to the Lumia 950 registries when Redstone has just graduated to the slow ring for everyone, dont you think? Having them set to the Lumia 930 or the 1520 should work just as well now, no?

-- W

I don't know the answer to that. If I had another SE I would do some experimenting but unfortunately I don't. The only thing I caution on is hardware compatibility with the 930 or 1520 vs the SE. Anyone willing to try this? Let us know how it goes.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I just think that because the Lumias 930 and 1520 are much closer hardware wise than the 950 and the 950XL are to the Ativ SE. Wouldnt you agree? I'd be willing to try it but I dont have an SE in hand yet to do it though. :(

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I just think that because the Lumias 930 and 1520 are much closer hardware wise than the 950 and the 950XL are to the Ativ SE. Wouldnt you agree? I'd be willing to try it but I dont have an SE in hand yet to do it though. :(

-- W

I guess the only thing I can say is that I have mine, as well as my wife's, set up as the Lumia 950. I get great battery life, no heating issues and only an occasional annoyance which could happen on any phone, even Android (I've had them). Others though have had heating issues as well as poor battery life when set up as the Lumia 950. My wife's SE had a battery issue so I drained it completely and charged it completely. She hasen't mentioned it since. I guess one more thing I can say to you is to try the Lumia 930 or 1520 settings, if you know them, once you get your SE, then let us know how things work out. Again, though, I caution going straight to any Lumia build without getting into the Insider Program with the NOKIA settings first. It may screw up the phone. Anyone else have success going straight to the Lumia 950, or other Lumia, settings without going to the NOKIA settings first? By the way, I have to admit I was not aware of Redstone being pushed out on the slow ring for everyone: this may be the key, I don't know. Anyone?

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I tried Redstone; drained my battery like crazy; phone ran super hot. Went back to setting my phone as a 'NOKIA' 'RM-927'; running .164 and it's cool and smooth, with normal battery life. Only thing goofy is the glance screen doesn't work.
wp_ss_20160403_0001.jpg

jobinthomas

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I guess it's goodbye for me in regards to ATIV SE. I had terrible signal with it on Tmobile. I'd get LTE but there would be no data connection and I had to keep rebooting the phone a couple times for it to get a data connection. Not super great when you're in Vegas and trying to share some pics. Returned the ATIV SE and went back to my Lumia 640. Quite a shame because the ATIV SE ran like a dream compared to my 640.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I guess it's goodbye for me in regards to ATIV SE. I had terrible signal with it on Tmobile. I'd get LTE but there would be no data connection and I had to keep rebooting the phone a couple times for it to get a data connection. Not super great when you're in Vegas and trying to share some pics. Returned the ATIV SE and went back to my Lumia 640. Quite a shame because the ATIV SE ran like a dream compared to my 640.

Did you have your proper APN and MMS settings in place?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: I have the Redstone build just before the last update (14291.1004 i think) on my "backup" ATIV SE and at first battery life was horrid. Standby charge barely lasted half a day.

Decided to let it drain completely, then recharged the phone while powered off. Turned it back on, unplugged the phone and let it sit on standby. It lasted a little over 3 days not doing anything. Not sure why this helped, but I let it drain once more and recharged again and going to see if standby stays the same. If so, I may give it a go as my daily driver to see how it lasts with typical use. If it can get through a whole day I'll be happy :)

jobinthomas

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I did. Read through fatclue_98's post on Windows 10 on ATIV SE thread and changed all the required Registry keys. Tethering and MMS worked. However, data connection kept going in and out (I tried going from 8.0 GDR3 to Win10 about 4 times with little things changed each time). If cellular signal said LTE next to it I'd have data connection and sometimes it would just show bars which meant no data connection. It became too much of a hassle and the 2-3 reboots every 2 hours took a toll on battery life as well. Really was sad to give up this phone.

Ricardo Gonzalez5

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
rmabwing5, Thanks a lot but I thing I did something wrong because doesn't work... but I change this

"PhoneManufacturerModelName"="RM-1045" (Nokia 930) and too the "Carrier" VGZ-US verizon to ATT-US and WORK for me Windows Insider slow ring, reset... Setting>Update & Security> Phone Up date and get OS build: 10.0.14295.1000

But I have back to change name and carrier because the phone doesn't take sim car and that it work well...
No drain battery
Just I have problem with a folder icon on screen doesn't load but the apps work
Just my Spotify apps still no work...

Thanks !!!

asellite

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
If anyone has the files still from the original guide if you can get me a copy I'd be happy to update the hyperlink in the og post so it works again. I didn't realize that OneDrive link broke.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I did. Read through fatclue_98's post on Windows 10 on ATIV SE thread and changed all the required Registry keys. Tethering and MMS worked. However, data connection kept going in and out (I tried going from 8.0 GDR3 to Win10 about 4 times with little things changed each time). If cellular signal said LTE next to it I'd have data connection and sometimes it would just show bars which meant no data connection. It became too much of a hassle and the 2-3 reboots every 2 hours took a toll on battery life as well. Really was sad to give up this phone.

Sorry to hear that. This phone has such great specs! Love the camera focus and colours. The screen is amazing; Perfect size. I'm super happy with how mine is running!

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. This phone has such great specs! Love the camera focus and colours. The screen is amazing; Perfect size. I'm super happy with how mine is running!

Reverted back to stock n install preview using lumia 930 keys. Works better than before. Did use production ring. On .107 now

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I was just wondering, hardware wise, is the 1520 closer to the ATIV or the 930? Again, just curious. :)

And that is very good news Sabir. Can you follow up to tell us if this battery life holds up in later use as well? :)

-- W

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I was just wondering, hardware wise, is the 1520 closer to the ATIV or the 930? Again, just curious. :)

And that is very good news Sabir. Can you follow up to tell us if this battery life holds up in later use as well? :)

-- W

Sure. Will update later. But for now i can say it is good. It takes a while for newer OS to adjust. Will update in 2-3 days after using with mixtures of data gaming n calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss