The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
As much as I would love to dual boot Android & W10 on this phone, I think it's far more complicated than it seems (dual booting launchers & android drivers etc) it is also very much off topic on this thread.

Assuming we find that the 930 registry settings work the best, would the upgrade be possible if we follow the tutorial, make the reg changes and instead of installing windows insider, we simply install the windows upgrade advisor and wait for production builds for the 930? Are there any production builds available for the 930 through the update advisor?

Updated to .218 update a while ago. Felt sudden change in heat. My ativ se shows less heat than before. This was the first impression though. Will let u know in time if there are any improvements in this build regarding battery and heat. One more thing. Before this update my se used to cahrge faster and drain even more faster but now charging speed has went down so i guess there is some change in battery division here.
Hope it works well this time.

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I dont think that will work without sd card. Still if u want to give it a try and if 8x is not ur only device to use you can have some experimenting done with it. Sometimes things don't go straight like everyone on this forum has the same ativ se but same process was followed by everyone but still everyone faces different issues. Some don't even have issues. So do some experiment if u can. But before moving forward make sure you have stock files of 8x because if your device gets bricked you need to reflash stock files to make it work again. But if there are no files available then please do not try anything unless proven to work.

Try to get wp8.1 developer registration and deployment tool. If you get it just try to deploy root tool app. If that app works on your cell or gets deployed to your cell then there is no need of sd card. And one more thing if ur device is with 512MB ram then don't bother going through all this. Just enjoy 8.1
I might add this. If i were you then no matter what happens i would do something crazy to get things work. Even if i know it won't.
Good luck buddy

Thank you for the information Sabir. HTC 8X has 1GB RAM and 16 GB storage. I want to try this thing, but the link to download root tool is not working.

If you happen to have the listed tools with you, kindly share the same with through OneDrive or through cloud storage. I will give a try and will update.

Best Wishes

Pradeep

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the information Sabir. HTC 8X has 1GB RAM and 16 GB storage. I want to try this thing, but the link to download root tool is not working.

If you happen to have the listed tools with you, kindly share the same with through OneDrive or through cloud storage. I will give a try and will update.

Best Wishes

Pradeep
Ok pradeep. Tomorrow night I will upload n send u the link

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Updated to .218 update a while ago. Felt sudden change in heat. My ativ se shows less heat than before. This was the first impression though. Will let u know in time if there are any improvements in this build regarding battery and heat. One more thing. Before this update my se used to cahrge faster and drain even more faster but now charging speed has went down so i guess there is some change in battery division here.
Hope it works well this time.

That is good news Sabir.

Large part of me hopes you are right and battery has been fixed, but there is also a part me that hopes you are wrong... because I don't want to do the upgrade (for the third time) just to be possibly be burned again by terrible battery usage. My issue is that my Ativ SE is my main phone - I can get away with certain w10m bugs here and there, but massive battery drain is just a deal breaker.

Either way, keep us posted please :)

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
That is good news Sabir.

Large part of me hopes you are right and battery has been fixed, but there is also a part me that hopes you are wrong... because I don't want to do the upgrade (for the third time) just to be possibly be burned again by terrible battery usage. My issue is that my Ativ SE is my main phone - I can get away with certain w10m bugs here and there, but massive battery drain is just a deal breaker.

There are bugs though. Somethings is eating my data. My data pack extinguished for no reasons yesterday. Microsoft edge won't load certain pages. Some app don't work. But battery and heat issue seems to be fixed. Will let you know if there anything else to know.

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
That is good news Sabir.

After using this for a day i think you need to take the risk. Give it a try. My ativ se is my daily driver too and now i am very much happy with it. Atleast for now

mrspidey

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
After using this for a day i think you need to take the risk. Give it a try. My ativ se is my daily driver too and now i am very much happy with it. Atleast for now

Thanks Sabir,

I'm seriously thinking about it but I'm not sure yet. Just so you know apparently there are known bugs for some apps not launching - if you launch them from the store, notifications area or other third party launchers they work just fine. Check here:

PSA: Some apps may not launch in latest W10M Insider build, here's a workaround - MSPoweruser

Ricardo Gonzalez5

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks you for the link ... but doesn't work for my Ativ Se WP10 14295.1 :( How I rolled back all the way to 10586.218 ? somebody can tell me how ? (step-by-step) ...Thanks...

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey all you guys with battery drain issues. I have to ask, is your battery the original? I ask because my wife's ATIV SE battery just stopped charging altogether. I'm wondering if there are defective batteries in some of these phones. I know the build can effect it also but It's still a mystery to me as to why some have the issue and some don't. I purchased two aftermarket 5040 mAh batteries on ebay last night. I'm hoping this is the answer to hers being a battery thief. The other is for me... :smile: (I can't have a puny 2600 mAh battery and my wife have a massive 5040 mAh battery, right?) Anyway, I thought I'd ask. I'll let you know how it works out. Later people.

Ricardo Gonzalez5

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I did a hard reset and it reset the phone to 14.295.100. I did not send me back to windows 8 and there was no problem. So far everything is working but hey cortana isn't in the extra settings anymore.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on Redstone build 14291.1001 but I haven't been able to get any of the last two mobile builds for Redstone. I even tried re-imputing the registry values for the 950 (ex: "MicrosoftMDG", etc)

I tried both Fast and Slow Ring. Just wondering if I'm doing things out of order or there are new values I need to input. I even tried the NOKIA / RM-1045 settings, but that didn't give me anything either.

Any and all help is truly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm currently on Redstone build 14291.1001 but I haven't been able to get any of the last two mobile builds for Redstone. I even tried re-imputing the registry values for the 950 (ex: "MicrosoftMDG", etc)

I tried both Fast and Slow Ring. Just wondering if I'm doing things out of order or there are new values I need to input. I even tried the NOKIA / RM-1045 settings, but that didn't give me anything either.

Any and all help is truly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

That's the build I'm still on also and haven't received any updates. Not sure what the problem is there. Another thing is the fact that this build is directed towards the Lumia 950, which I have for my settings, but I found out that the 950 has a built in equalizer for audio under the "Extras" settings. This build on my SE does not have that, it still has "SoundAlive" which I believe is a Windows Mobile 8.1 setting. So, does the updates not over-write everything?

Ricardo Gonzalez5

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
HELP!!!

I do hard reset because 14295 doesn't work well do not launch apps...
I the hard reset back to me 14295 but lost cortana, then lost Store and lost windows insider, now Windows Recovery Tools 3.3.31 do not determine my device. I try to sign in on windows store and on " Choose an account" is doesn't appear any account, but my outlook work well with my email ***@live.com (microsoft account). When I try to sig in Cortana just crash, Teh Samsung Ativ Se work well sms txt, phone call, people app, wheter, news, camera ativ and microsoft, But One Drive cannot sign in just crash.

ANY IDEA HOW TO FIX?

Thanks a lot!

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Okay guys, here's my deal. I restored my phone back to 8.0, updated to 8.1.1 and proceeded with the steps to install Win 10 mobile preview on it. Problem is it doesn't matter which registry values I use it will not update to Win 10 mobile preview. It just stays on 8.1.1. Any ideas?

UPDATE: Hold the fort, I was just making some changes to the settings, like roam and data connection, etc., and all of a sudden it came up stating there was an update and that Windows 10 is here. I'll let you know if it is the Win 10 mobile preview or not.

UPDATE 2: OK, I finally got back to Windows 10 Mobile but it is build 10586.

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I just found out something; when I tried to go into Root Tool just now, the only thing that shows up is a square with an X in it. I even tried reinstalling it. I'm guessing Root Tool is no longer compatible with the version of Win10 I'm running. Any guesses?

I'm back on build 10586 and Root Tool works again. Go Figure.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Alright, it's been a day. As a side note, I changed the registry to the Lumia 950 again. I am not receiving any updates past 10586. I can't get it to update to 14291 or any other build for that matter. I know the updates are to at least 14322. What gives? I don't know why my phone just stopped getting updates past 10586. Anyone have a clue on this matter?

saabaa

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
If anyone has the files still from the original guide if you can get me a copy I'd be happy to update the hyperlink in the og post so it works again. I didn't realize that OneDrive link broke.

@ Asellite -Did anyone ever get you the files from the OP? Been on XDA & stumbling thru this ad-infested site w/o success. Any pointers appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786