The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
A while back i got to Redstone; now i can't get past this: View attachment 126906

I found a way to get back to Redstone. Change your registry with Root Tool (If you have it installed, if not install it).

HKLM -> SYSTEM -> Platform -> DeviceTargetInfo -> PhoneManufacturer: MicrosoftMDG (click on write); PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-1085_11302 (click on write).

Now here's where the change is:

Microsoft made some changes so that the latest Redstone update 14295 couldn't be received with the registry hacks. Change "PhoneModelName" to Lumia 950 XL and "PhoneHardwareVariant" to RM-1085.

Go to Windows Insider app and apply to the fast ring. Let the phone reboot if needed and check for updates under Settings -> Updates & Security. The latest Redstone build should show up. Install it.

Thanks to this post here, I parsed out information for our phones and modified slightly to post here and it seems to work like a charm. Enjoy.

ps. Here's what showed up when I checked for updates:
Update: 10.0.14342.1004.
Insider Fast configuration update.
Configuration update.

My battery is under 40% full at the moment but as soon as it is up to snuff, I will finish the install.

UPDATE: After a couple of minor hiccups the upgrade finished and it seems like the latest build is working fine. Here's the hiccups:
1. Phone locked up at the end of the update; had to restart phone twice (locked up again after first restart)
2. Haptic feedback of return button and Cortana buttons didn't work (after the restarts, they worked)

Preliminary Observations:
1. Battery seemed to be quite hot but seems to have steadied out at a semi-warm to cool after overnight charge
2. Battery is taking quite some time to fully charge (remember, I have a huge battery) where as before it would charge fairly quick.

Last edited:

Its me Abzee

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Bro..
unfortunately I cant check if the link is dead or alive from my office network.
lemme reach home and update you..
however, irrespective of the link status (dead or alive) I really want to thank you for your support.

/abzee

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I found a way to get back to Redstone. Change your registry with Root Tool (If you have it installed, if not install it).

HKLM -> SYSTEM -> Platform -> DeviceTargetInfo -> PhoneManufacturer: MicrosoftMDG (click on write); PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-1085_11302 (click on write).

Now here's where the change is:

Microsoft made some changes so that the latest Redstone update 14295 couldn't be received with the registry hacks. Change "PhoneModelName" to Lumia 950 XL and "PhoneHardwareVariant" to RM-1085.

Go to Windows Insider app and apply to the fast ring. Let the phone reboot if needed and check for updates under Settings -> Updates & Security. The latest Redstone build should show up. Install it.

Thanks to this post here, I parsed out information for our phones and modified slightly to post here and it seems to work like a charm. Enjoy.

ps. Here's what showed up when I checked for updates:
Update: 10.0.14342.1004.
Insider Fast configuration update.
Configuration update.

My battery is under 40% full at the moment but as soon as it is up to snuff, I will finish the install.

UPDATE: After a couple of minor hiccups the upgrade finished and it seems like the latest build is working fine. Here's the hiccups:
1. Phone locked up at the end of the update; had to restart phone twice (locked up again after first restart)
2. Haptic feedback of return button and Cortana buttons didn't work (after the restarts, they worked)

Preliminary Observations:
1. Battery seemed to be quite hot but seems to have steadied out at a semi-warm to cool after overnight charge
2. Battery is taking quite some time to fully charge (remember, I have a huge battery) where as before it would charge fairly quick.

UPDATE 2: DO NOT GO TO THE LATEST BUILD OF REDSTONE. ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS, INCLUDING MISSING MICROSOFT ACCOUNT WITH NO POSSIBLE WAY TO GET IT.

Sorry for all caps, want everyone who is still reading this to make sure to read the above.

Its me Abzee

May 12, 2016
Visit site
dropbox download link working pretty fine.
can you please let me know the final version of windows 10 which is known to be stable for ativ se?
as per you, it seems redstone is quite buggy and not stable..

Thanks/
/abzee

Its me Abzee

May 12, 2016
Visit site
okay, i did everything step by step...
changed registry, chose fast ring and after downloading update, it asked me to restart.. did that as wel.
after that, updates were installed...
however, now. phones not booting. i see a blue rectangle of microsoft, green light blinks at the top and phone trying to restart itself..
goes into same loop. blue microsoft square, green light blinks at the top, phone restarts...
i dont think, i ve done anything wrong...
its just bit unfortunate of me here.
can some one help me out pls?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
10586.318 Threshold vs. 14384.1004 Redstone:

So I have two ATIV SEs, and thanks to the posts above, I was able to get back on track with both update options. By far and away, 10586.318 is a better daily driver, and is my new daily driver after upgrading from 8.1. It's smoother, apps, work, hot spot tethering works even better than 8,1, the Live tiles work, Cortana works, and battery life seems to be okay. (I'm going to let it cycle through and calm down for a day before making any battery claims compared to 8.1 since it's still draining faster than 8.1.)

As for Redstone, just way too buggy. Many live Tiles stop working randomly (reboots don't help), lockscreen freezes up, phone freezes up frequently, apps often crash, and app were getting stuck as pending in the main list, and battery drain was REALLY bad.

For now, at this early testing stage for me, 10586.318 is extremely solid and will be using it going forward. I actually love it and feel like I have a new phone again after using 8.1 for the past several months.

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
dropbox download link working pretty fine.
can you please let me know the final version of windows 10 which is known to be stable for ativ se?
as per you, it seems redstone is quite buggy and not stable..

Thanks/
/abzee

Abzee, looks like the best build for our phones is 10586.318. I tried twice to go to Redstone, knowing I've done it before, but the latest build of that is way buggy. I've had to revert back to 8.1 twice now in the last 24 hours. If you need to get out of a boot loop, you will need to revert back to 8.0, upgrade to 8.1 then start over with the 10 build. You can find the flashing tool in the same Dropbox folder above (Go here).

RW

Rathin Chandra

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
i have updated to windows mobile 10.0.10586.318 choosing the 'Insider Release Preview' option in the windows insider. Is there any way to change it to 'Insider Fast' option? Whenever i open windows insider app and choose fast option, my device reboots and not getting any updates.

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
i have updated to windows mobile 10.0.10586.318 choosing the 'Insider Release Preview' option in the windows insider. Is there any way to change it to 'Insider Fast' option? Whenever i open windows insider app and choose fast option, my device reboots and not getting any updates.

You most likely will not get anymore updates. Microsoft has changed the registration process so as to not allow updates by hacking the registry. Fortunately someone figured out how to get around it (still with hacking the registry) by changing a few more values in the registry. I wouldn't recommend going any further with the updates, though, because the next one is the latest version of Redstone which I can tell you from experience, it is buggy as hell. I tried and ended up with pretty much a useless phone. See my my post above. I had to restore back to stock twice then get to the latest Insider Release, not Fast Ring to have a stable and great phone again.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I've been trying multiple upgrade routes to get Redstone working smoothly on the Ativ SE. When I come up with a method that results in a phone suited for daily use, I'll share that info.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

So I have two ATIV SEs, and thanks to the posts above, I was able to get back on track with both update options. By far and away, 10586.318 is a better daily driver, and is my new daily driver after upgrading from 8.1. It's smoother, apps, work, hot spot tethering works even better than 8,1, the Live tiles work, Cortana works, and battery life seems to be okay. (I'm going to let it cycle through and calm down for a day before making any battery claims compared to 8.1 since it's still draining faster than 8.1.)

As for Redstone, just way too buggy. Many live Tiles stop working randomly (reboots don't help), lockscreen freezes up, phone freezes up frequently, apps often crash, and app were getting stuck as pending in the main list, and battery drain was REALLY bad.

For now, at this early testing stage for me, 10586.318 is extremely solid and will be using it going forward. I actually love it and feel like I have a new phone again after using 8.1 for the past several months.

UPDATE 2: Updated to 10586.338 today (was released yesterday on Insider Release Preview). Was a bit jumpy at first, but then it auto rebooted itself and has been good since. So far, so smooth.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE 2: Updated to 10586.338 today (was released yesterday on Insider Release Preview). Was a bit jumpy at first, but then it auto rebooted itself and has been good since. So far, so smooth.

I updated to 10586.338 also. It seems quite stable and the battery doesn't get hot or drain quickly. It wasn't jumpy for me. So far, so good.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

I've got 2 SE's; on one, i've got .318; the other, i've gone back to 8.1, just to compare. Wow - 8.1 is so snappy and quick on this phone!!! Battery life is double (or even a bit more) than my phone running Win 10. Man, what a shame; this phone runs so cool and awesome on 8.1; too bad that it's being left behind. .318 battery life is still poor. I've also got a Lumia 830; just installing the latest fast ring; i'll see how it plays out. Thanks rmabwing5 for all your work on this!

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for dropping off the map for such a long time guys. I'm back from my hiatus! Was swamped with work and projects, final submissions and all that. And boy am I glad to see that we're all still alive and going on this here thread. :)

Darrell, can we please have an update after a couple of days how the .338 is holding up for you. Especially on the battery front. Since we now have someone with two ATIV SEs, one of which is on 8.1, to compare that side by side with. Also, doesnt the amount of usage factor into that? I mean, I have an ATIV SE on 8.1. That I charge overnight. Every night. Because its not used as a phone. More my overall communication device. And then I have a 640, which is parked as my main phone line. And is only ever used as a phone. With battery saver permanently on and no data or even wifi whatsoever. With both on 8.1. 640 goes a week. Almost. With my phone only usage. The ATIV SE, on the other hand, gets parked into charging every night. So yeah, I guess there that to count in as well too. :)

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, I've been on 10586.338 for about a week and all seems well. Battery life seems good with moderate usage and the phone seems to be quick. Only thing is I had a haptic lock-up today. I rebooted the phone and all is well. I can't receive updates on the fast ring anymore because I have the phone set up to be a Lumia 950 XL in the registry. When on fast ring it downloads the latest Redstone build and the phone goes wonky. This is my daily driver so I can't have it screwed up too bad...Anyway, I'm glad we're all still here. I'll keep sharing what I can and if anyone needs files, I think I have them all in my shared Dropbox folder labeled as "Go Here" on a previous page.

- RW

jmthomas1987

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the files links on Dropbox. Decided to do a hard reset on my ATIV SE on Win10 to clean it up, had a lot of cruft. Hard reset and it rolled back to .164 build and is identified as a "Samsung SM-W750W". So, guess I will try and see if I can re-edit the registry. If not, going back to 8.0 and starting over. Love Win10 on this phone. Battery was lasting me 2 day with moderate useage. Will so if I can get that back.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Glad to have another user in here with the rest of us folks Thomas. :) And I'm liking how you're having such a good experience of it all so far too :)

-- W

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Not working the way I had hoped. Got it updated to 8.1 entirely, but after doing the "zombie" conversion of Preview for Developers to make a registry editor, it can't even access the top level registry keys, just closes out.

Getting very frustrated with MS right now. Was considering the HP XT3 coming in a couple months, but after this, may just go to Android.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I never had this issue a few months ago when I installed Win10 before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett