The Complete Guide: Upgrading the Samsung Ativ SE to Windows 10 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Awesome, I'm glad it's working for you now! Thank you for confirming! Regarding the response issue, I experienced this initially, too. This will go away over time (I noticed that the longer the uptime my phone had, the better it performed). This happened on 14356 and 14361 for me. When I do a restart, it acts like that for a few minutes, but that time period seemed to reduce daily. Unfortunately I only used 14356 for a week, and 14361 since it was released, so I don't have more accurate information. If you end up leaving your phone on overnight, let us know how it performs for you tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, check out the application Device Diagnostics HUB in the store; the clear RAM feature may help reduce this. I haven't done any additional research on the issue since it seemed to correct itself, so I cannot guarantee this will help at all.

Okay, thanks. I will check out Device Diagnostics in a bit. Also, I usually do leave my phone on at night. In fact I hardly ever shut it off. So, I'll let you know how it goes.

- RW

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for dropping off the map for such a long time guys. I'm back from my hiatus! Was swamped with work and projects, final submissions and all that. And boy am I glad to see that we're all still alive and going on this here thread. :)

Darrell, can we please have an update after a couple of days how the .338 is holding up for you. Especially on the battery front. Since we now have someone with two ATIV SEs, one of which is on 8.1, to compare that side by side with. Also, doesnt the amount of usage factor into that? I mean, I have an ATIV SE on 8.1. That I charge overnight. Every night. Because its not used as a phone. More my overall communication device. And then I have a 640, which is parked as my main phone line. And is only ever used as a phone. With battery saver permanently on and no data or even wifi whatsoever. With both on 8.1. 640 goes a week. Almost. With my phone only usage. The ATIV SE, on the other hand, gets parked into charging every night. So yeah, I guess there that to count in as well too. :)

-- W

Werentuckl - .338 battery life is actually quite good!! Much better than previous build; It took a day to settle down after syncing all my photos/music/apps etc, but once all that was done, it's running smooth; i'm very happy with battery life!! Very content with this for the time being.

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I started the upgrade to Redstone on step 19 as follows: (Note: I started out at 10586.338)

19. Make the following changes to these keys in HKLM\System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo

PhoneManufacturer to NOKIA

PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-927

PhoneModelName to "Lumia 929"

PhoneHardwareVariant RM-927

20. Download Windows Insider, select Fast Ring, reboot

Once the upgrade was finished I rebooted the phone. All is well. I still have my accounts and everything is there. Hell, we don't even need the Insider App anymore with this build. It works just like a PC now (in Settings). Thanks Jeemo for the great information. I will post a review of build 14361.0 here in a couple of days.

One thing I am experiencing right now is slow response to screen touch. Hopefully will work itself out.

- RW

Sure, I just get my system dialed in and updated (it is running amazing), and you throw this out there like a big piece of apple pie (and I LOVE apple pie). LOL

Will keep an eye out for your update.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Awesome, I'm glad it's working for you now! Thank you for confirming! Regarding the response issue, I experienced this initially, too. This will go away over time (I noticed that the longer the uptime my phone had, the better it performed). This happened on 14356 and 14361 for me. When I do a restart, it acts like that for a few minutes, but that time period seemed to reduce daily. Unfortunately I only used 14356 for a week, and 14361 since it was released, so I don't have more accurate information. If you end up leaving your phone on overnight, let us know how it performs for you tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, check out the application Device Diagnostics HUB in the store; the clear RAM feature may help reduce this. I haven't done any additional research on the issue since it seemed to correct itself, so I cannot guarantee this will help at all.

I tried out Device Diagnostics HUB and it seemed to not work. It just gave me errors.

- RW

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Are you sure that you connected it properly? The clear RAM feature will not work unless you are connected. Here's the official tutorial from the developer. Scroll down to the Windows 10 Mobile section, and it shows the pros/cons of using and not using authentication.

Device Diagnostics HUB 2.0 - Tutorial + Informations | Pasqui industry

I followed the tutorial and was able to connect to Diagnostics Hub for about 5 seconds then it disconnected. Diagnostics seem to be working, though. I was able to use Clear RAM also. Thanks

- RW

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Woah, we've really come back to life here. :) I'm liking this new infusion of life alright. :)

And thank you for that excellent update on the battery life Darrell. And for the new Threshold tutorial Jeemo. :) Though I do have a question for Jeemo here. I know I've asked this before. But why the Icon and not the 1520? The 1520 has expandable storage. Otherwise. All three phones are borderline identical. Same radio stacks on the right variants too. No?

And Rmabwing, bro. A new upgrade guide would be mighty useful too man. Since we have one for jumping onto Redstone, a clear and and concisely done guide with the right files and steps for the non-adventurous would be nice. For the people willing to live on the Release Previews. ^_^

And Fred, the ATIV S sub-forum is alive and active with a whole bunch of people running threads on just that. Make sure to check those out too. Our ATIV SE threads here are actually offshoots from the fruits of those in the ATIV S forums. :)

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Woah, we've really come back to life here. :) I'm liking this new infusion of life alright. :)

And thank you for that excellent update on the battery life Darrell. And for the new Threshold tutorial Jeemo. :) Though I do have a question for Jeemo here. I know I've asked this before. But why the Icon and not the 1520? The 1520 has expandable storage. Otherwise. All three phones are borderline identical. Same radio stacks on the right variants too. No?

And Rmabwing, bro. A new upgrade guide would be mighty useful too man. Since we have one for jumping onto Redstone, a clear and and concisely done guide with the right files and steps for the non-adventurous would be nice. For the people willing to live on the Release Previews. ^_^

And Fred, the ATIV S sub-forum is alive and active with a whole bunch of people running threads on just that. Make sure to check those out too. Our ATIV SE threads here are actually offshoots from the fruits of those in the ATIV S forums. :)

-- W

What I will do is create a new thread outlining just how to get to 10586.xxx build. I will let Jeemo own getting to Redstone. There aren't many changes from what is on here except for a couple more registry edits; and of course I have all the files, which I will have forever linked in the new thread.

Jeemo, any suggestions from you before I proceed to create an updated 10586.xxx build thread?

- RW

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Though I do have a question for Jeemo here. I know I've asked this before. But why the Icon and not the 1520? The 1520 has expandable storage. Otherwise. All three phones are borderline identical. Same radio stacks on the right variants too. No?

Yes, the 1520 is also very similar to the Ativ SE, and both will work fine for updating to TH2 or RS1. The only reason I prefer and suggest using the values for the Icon is the (very slim) possibility of Verizon releasing provisioning updates in the background. Since the 1520 is not a Verizon device, any device with values matching the 1520 would not get the hypothetical update (unless the update is SIM-dependent; I'm unaware of the methodology of deployment). In regard to the comment on expandable storage, the cabs that we get for updates contain unpacking instructions and a unique configuration is made for every device based on its characteristics (like an installer for a desktop application). If there are registry entries for SD storage, the phone will support it regardless of the DeviceTargetingInfo values. Good question, though!

What I will do is create a new thread outlining just how to get to 10586.xxx build. I will let Jeemo own getting to Redstone. There aren't many changes from what is on here except for a couple more registry edits; and of course I have all the files, which I will have forever linked in the new thread.

Jeemo, any suggestions from you before I proceed to create an updated 10586.xxx build thread?

- RW

Awesome idea! I realize my new tutorial could be confusing for someone who is only interested in TH2, so it certainly makes sense to have a dedicated, concise tutorial for it. If I were starting fresh and going to TH2, I would follow my new tutorial through step 13. The only reason I would suggest resetting from 107 instead of a more recent build is because 107 is the RTM release, and for all versions of Windows NT they have suggested starting with a base install and updating through official channels afterwards. I have no research that shows it would be better to restart from RTM on the mobile builds, but it has worked for me. I haven't tested this myself, but I think the Ativ SE (or any device) can get TH2 updates on the Release Preview ring using the stock values once it is on 10586.107. If this is true, users wouldn't need to make any modifications beyond downloading Windows Insider before getting the updated builds. Unfortunately I do not have the time this weekend to do the entire process from scratch, so somebody else will need to confirm that. If that is not true, I would follow my new tutorial to the end, but select Release Preview at step 20 instead of Fast. It may also be nice for complete beginners if you included all the files in the post itself (like asellite did for this thread) instead of linking to the original sources (like I did). The original source threads are ideal in the event that important information is released and the tutorial post doesn't reflect that, however most beginners will not do any research beyond what is in the tutorial anyway (which is why asellite's tutorial was more popular than my original win10 tutorial, and rightfully so). For complete beginners, I think asellite's tutorial was very verbose, which is exactly what they need. If I were to make a new guide explicitly for TH2, I would include the information in my RS1 tutorial (with the changes I've mentioned in this reply) but format it like asellite did and include all the extra info that he has included (like providing and explaining how to use the registration/deployment utilities). I'm sorry that this wall of text was so hard to read xD

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, the 1520 is also very similar to the Ativ SE, and both will work fine for updating to TH2 or RS1. The only reason I prefer and suggest using the values for the Icon is the (very slim) possibility of Verizon releasing provisioning updates in the background. Since the 1520 is not a Verizon device, any device with values matching the 1520 would not get the hypothetical update (unless the update is SIM-dependent; I'm unaware of the methodology of deployment). In regard to the comment on expandable storage, the cabs that we get for updates contain unpacking instructions and a unique configuration is made for every device based on its characteristics (like an installer for a desktop application). If there are registry entries for SD storage, the phone will support it regardless of the DeviceTargetingInfo values. Good question, though!

Awesome idea! I realize my new tutorial could be confusing for someone who is only interested in TH2, so it certainly makes sense to have a dedicated, concise tutorial for it. If I were starting fresh and going to TH2, I would follow my new tutorial through step 13. The only reason I would suggest resetting from 107 instead of a more recent build is because 107 is the RTM release, and for all versions of Windows NT they have suggested starting with a base install and updating through official channels afterwards. I have no research that shows it would be better to restart from RTM on the mobile builds, but it has worked for me. I haven't tested this myself, but I think the Ativ SE (or any device) can get TH2 updates on the Release Preview ring using the stock values once it is on 10586.107. If this is true, users wouldn't need to make any modifications beyond downloading Windows Insider before getting the updated builds. Unfortunately I do not have the time this weekend to do the entire process from scratch, so somebody else will need to confirm that. If that is not true, I would follow my new tutorial to the end, but select Release Preview at step 20 instead of Fast. It may also be nice for complete beginners if you included all the files in the post itself (like asellite did for this thread) instead of linking to the original sources (like I did). The original source threads are ideal in the event that important information is released and the tutorial post doesn't reflect that, however most beginners will not do any research beyond what is in the tutorial anyway (which is why asellite's tutorial was more popular than my original win10 tutorial, and rightfully so). For complete beginners, I think asellite's tutorial was very verbose, which is exactly what they need. If I were to make a new guide explicitly for TH2, I would include the information in my RS1 tutorial (with the changes I've mentioned in this reply) but format it like asellite did and include all the extra info that he has included (like providing and explaining how to use the registration/deployment utilities). I'm sorry that this wall of text was so hard to read xD

Jeemo, thanks for the suggestions. My plan was to set it up like asellite did for sure. I can say from resetting my phone back to 8.0 more then once that it can be a pain. So, I want to also include directions on how to do that if needed. And yes, I will be linking to original files within a shared Dropbox folder not original website location. I am the owner of the Dropbox folder and will keep it linked for as long as our phones need it. I will also be maintaining the files if anything ever changes. Again, thank you.

ps. The reason I'm using my personal Dropbox location is they will never expire, unlike Mediafire or other similar internet based storage.

pss. No worries on the wall of text. Not hard at all.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I did notice today, with the latest Redstone build (14361.0) on my ATIV SE I can no longer select where to download to under System->Storage..ex: New Apps, New Downloads, etc. The dropdown boxes are emply and no selections are present. Also, under storage, there are no "Drives" listed anymore. Any ideas?

- RW

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I did notice today, with the latest Redstone build (14361.0) on my ATIV SE I can no longer select where to download to under System->Storage..ex: New Apps, New Downloads, etc. The dropdown boxes are emply and no selections are present. Also, under storage, there are no "Drives" listed anymore. Any ideas?

- RW

Interesting, I wonder if this is related to the process you used to get to 10586.338. I followed my new guide verbatim to 14356, and then took the 14361 update when it was released, and the Storage page works fine for me. Have you tried turning off your device, removing the SD card, and then replacing it? It sounds to me like your experiencing behaviors as if you did not have an SD card inserted, so perhaps it doesn't notice the SD card.

EDIT: The only other thing I can think of is that you're running the old version of the Store (11604 instead of 11605) and you're missing an update for Storage, however, I don't think Storage updates come through the Store.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Interesting, I wonder if this is related to the process you used to get to 10586.338. I followed my new guide verbatim to 14356, and then took the 14361 update when it was released, and the Storage page works fine for me. Have you tried turning off your device, removing the SD card, and then replacing it? It sounds to me like your experiencing behaviors as if you did not have an SD card inserted, so perhaps it doesn't notice the SD card.

EDIT: The only other thing I can think of is that you're running the old version of the Store (11604 instead of 11605) and you're missing an update for Storage, however, I don't think Storage updates come through the Store.

Okay, I shut the phone down, removed the SD card, rebooted, and put the card back in. I have the proper items under Storage now. My start screen live tiles are all screwed up, I'm assuming from due to the update, but I know for sure I rebooted after performing the update. Nothing surprises me, though, when it comes to messing around with these phones with updates...hey, it's fun and educational....lol. I'll fix my live tiles now.

Thank you once again, Jeemo.

- RW

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, I'm going to be waiting on that 105836 guide then RW. :)

And interesting notes of observation on the Verizon provisioning Jeemo. But really, whats the chance of the big red ever even doing that. They'll be damned before the release even an ounce of update. A man can hope though, right. :) Though, I was suggesting the 1520 because it is much likelier to get any firmware or radio stack updates over the Microsoft route than the Icon ever is. And there has got to be a variant of the 1520 with firmware and radio stacks matching up to the Icon or the ATIV SE, or close-ish. At least. That was my assumption anyways.

Also, so if I'm getting this right. SD storage configuration and values has nothing to do with the device ID then, yes Jeemo? And this is nice. Having two or three people instead of the one or two we had before, providing all this new influx of information. :) Lets keep it up guys. :)

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm having a big problem under the latest Redstone build (14361) - The charging port isn't working. I don't know if it is hardware related or build related. My computer still sees the phone but no charging is happening.

UPDATE: My battery is draining extremely quick. I think I might have to start over, again.

UPDATE 2: I reset my phone back to 8.0 and charging port works once again. It looks like, for me, I lost the ability to charge my battery when I went to 14361.

- RW

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Is there any way to install WP on any Android device tab/phone ???
if is it possible then guide me

From everything I've read and heard, no. There is no way to flash WP on any Android device. Early in 2015 MS was said to experiment with Xiomai to do just that, but as far as I can see, that has gone nowhere or MS has abandoned it.

- RW

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
From everything I've read and heard, no. There is no way to flash WP on any Android device. Early in 2015 MS was said to experiment with Xiomai to do just that, but as far as I can see, that has gone nowhere or MS has abandoned it.

- RW

The Xaiomi Mi4 actually has a publicly available Win10M rom and there should be a rom coming out for the Mi5 and the OnePlus2 sometime this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss