A new guide: Update to TH2 or Redstone

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
thanks again Jeemo. I'm picking up a 930 in the mail tomorrow, that should supposedly get W10M RS1 as MS promised and no tweaks needed. The SE I plan to mess around with following your tutorial and get it up to date as well. I noticed supported bands are not the same on Icon and 930. The SE has the band setup for the US like the Icon, but I suppose the 930 has the same radio just a different config. hence spoofing the SE to Icon makes more sense, avoiding any mismatch with the radio bands.

Yup, exactly! All three have the same stack from Qualcomm; the carrier-specific versions are just configured differently. Just a heads up, my tutorial is no longer functionally (I believe). I will be making a new tutorial within the next week or two. If you want to update immediately, a new tutorial has been posted within the last few pages of the stickied tutorial thread. I'd send the link but I'm writing from mobile

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
The Lumia Icon has nearly identical hardware to the Ativ SE; all Qualcomm components (processor AND connectivity radios) are the same for both devices. However, they have been configured differently to support different bands. Once we get the SecureBoot exploit for mobile devices, it'd technically be possible to unlock radio bands that are available on any phone that uses the MSM8974. Whether or not the SE or Icon work for your network depends on the bands that your network uses. If you want to see a side-by-side comparison, here's the link:

Samsung ATIV SE vs Nokia Lumia 930 - Phone specs comparison

If you scroll down to the Cellular section you can see the frequencies which have been enabled, and compare those to your carrier. I know there are a few dedicated users of the SE in Russia and Poland (check out the forums on 4pda.ru and windowsmania.pl), but I haven't seen any statements about whether or not it works with all of the bands on their network. Things like MMS APN can be changed through the registry, so don't worry about MMS as long as your carrier's bands are supported. Best of luck

That would be great cause we have bands 3,7,28 in NZ no 4 or 13

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Woaaahhhh!!! West. You sure you want to be that cutting edge brother? And also, Jeemo. Take your time mate. As long as that Icon dont steal you away from us that is! >_< :mad:

-- W

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Woaaahhhh!!! West. You sure you want to be that cutting edge brother? And also, Jeemo. Take your time mate. As long as that Icon dont steal you away from us that is! >_< :mad:

-- W

ive always ran betas n alphas as my main os ever since my win2000 beta in dec '98. ive been doing it for so long i cant help it heh

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Oh. Damn. You ran the original Windows 2000 Beta. And I'm guessing the ME Beta too. You have my respect for that ME and that 2000 bro. Respect. O_O

-- W

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Oh. Damn. You ran the original Windows 2000 Beta. And I'm guessing the ME Beta too. You have my respect for that ME and that 2000 bro. Respect. O_O

-- W

man i still remember what a dog of an os that win2000 beta was ran so slow i thought damn will i have to upgrade my pentium pro but at the finish it was much faster.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

-- W

xD no need to worry there. Fortunately the work has already been done with with Lumias. I got it on release preview ring running 14393, interop and cap unlocked, my desired tweaks applied, and all apps setup (started from scratch, didn't restore). I literally have no reason to mess around with the Icon because it works exactly how I want it to. My SE was also how I wanted it to be; I'm furthering research on it for the sake of others who might want to do more, and also to hopefully be able to have custom ROMs. Imagine setting up your phone from scratch, all the apps you want, everything you don't want has been removed. And then you make that your ROM. **** something up on your phone? Flash your rom back. Don't like the new insider update? Flash your rom back. Even if we couldn't make custom roms, just imagine how much time would be saved by being able to flash back to 14393 instead of 8.0.

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
xD no need to worry there. Fortunately the work has already been done with with Lumias. I got it on release preview ring running 14393, interop and cap unlocked, my desired tweaks applied, and all apps setup (started from scratch, didn't restore). I literally have no reason to mess around with the Icon because it works exactly how I want it to. My SE was also how I wanted it to be; I'm furthering research on it for the sake of others who might want to do more, and also to hopefully be able to have custom ROMs. Imagine setting up your phone from scratch, all the apps you want, everything you don't want has been removed. And then you make that your ROM. **** something up on your phone? Flash your rom back. Don't like the new insider update? Flash your rom back. Even if we couldn't make custom roms, just imagine how much time would be saved by being able to flash back to 14393 instead of 8.0.

hell yes i wondered that while using the flash back to 8.0 steps why aint there no 8.1 or 10 image out there? can we not image our phones, we can only just write to them?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
hell yes i wondered that while using the flash back to 8.0 steps why aint there no 8.1 or 10 image out there? can we not image our phones, we can only just write to them?

Well, the issue is that the hardware that's part of bootchain verification has been signed/instructed as a Retail/Product unit. This means that it can only accept images that have been signed with Samsung's Retail signature. Even if we made an image, it wouldn't allow flashing. and even if we bypassed that, it wouldn't boot (which is why we need that SecureBoot exploit). The leaked 8.0 images were R (Retail) and P (Production/Engineering). When you have WP8_Binary_Downloader open and you plug in your phone, you'll see that it says Retail or Product. That means it will only accept the R image. If yours says something else, you should try the P image!

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Can I also request if Jeemo can do an image extract of the old MS Health and Fitness xapp from his Icon? MS Health is absolute turd.

-- W

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
If you intend on resetting it anyway, please try a hard reset first and let us know how it is for a day

Ok ive been to lazy to reset re: Redoing start menu but it seems to have leveled itself out. Id upgrade it from a stay away to yeah maybe at this point.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Ok ive been to lazy to reset re: Redoing start menu but it seems to have leveled itself out. Id upgrade it from a stay away to yeah maybe at this point.

Why not just make a backup on 14905 before hard resetting, and then restore that? FWIW you aren't required to restore your most current backup. If you don't want to restore your 14905 backup (like if you flash back to 8.0 and work your way back to 14393), you could do a hard reset once you're at 14393 and restore your most recent backup prior to you 14905 upgrade.

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Why not just make a backup on 14905 before hard resetting, and then restore that? FWIW you aren't required to restore your most current backup. If you don't want to restore your 14905 backup (like if you flash back to 8.0 and work your way back to 14393), you could do a hard reset once you're at 14393 and restore your most recent backup prior to you 14905 upgrade.

Tbh ive never really restored a backup cause of liability to screw up the upgrade process from 8 to 10 but does it re-config the start menu too?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos