New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
So, I'm back, and I have a question folks. WC is saying all release ring phones have been shifted, including those on the Release Preview, to the RTM RedStone builds. Can any of the good folks here with spare or testing phones confirm this over our ATIVs too? And whether we have hard reset capabilities returned to us on our devices or not?

I'm asking first instead of trying this myself because I want to hold back on any potentially phone breaking updates until I know we have the Hard Resets back on RedStone too since this is my primary, and I think we have all recorded the amount of trouble I have had the last time I tried going from 8.1 to 10 again on my phone. :(

-- W

Also, could some kind soul please direct me towards tethering/mobile hotspot values? It is driving me crazy. And insane. Because all of my data keeps going to waste because I cant share it between my devices. Pretty pretty please? I'm obviously not a Verizon customer, God forbid, and I know that there is a tethering workaround based on registry changes, because that is how we ended up spoofing our way to WM10 in the first place. So yes, help? :)

-- W

As far as I can tell Release Preview is up to date with Redstone but will not update Threshold to latest Redstone. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know, but my daily driver (Threshold - 10586) is on Release Preview and will not update to Redstone. My test phone is on Redstone and when I put it on Release Preview it updated to the latest Redstone build. I know this to be true because when I put it back on Fast (Ring) it stayed at the current Redstone build. Make sense? Anyway, my daily driver is still on Release Preview and 10586 and will not update any further at this time.

As far as the tethering; I'm not sure how to get that to work, nor do I know the registry hacks to do so. Maybe someone else can help. I'd like to know myself.

- RW

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
As far as I can tell Release Preview is up to date with Redstone but will not update Threshold to latest Redstone. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know, but my daily driver (Threshold - 10586) is on Release Preview and will not update to Redstone. My test phone is on Redstone and when I put it on Release Preview it updated to the latest Redstone build. I know this to be true because when I put it back on Fast (Ring) it stayed at the current Redstone build. Make sense? Anyway, my daily driver is still on Release Preview and 10586 and will not update any further at this time.

As far as the tethering; I'm not sure how to get that to work, nor do I know the registry hacks to do so. Maybe someone else can help. I'd like to know myself.

- RW
I'm getting the same results with my two phones; but...i'm using my Redstone version 1607 build 14393.5 as my daily driver, and LOVE it! Battery life is unbelievable! Some minor issues: my Ativ Camera is sometimes quirky and 'looses' pics after I take them; my Bluetooth connections sometimes take a few tries to work; the Brightness control is sometimes wonky, and I need to scroll through to get the right setting. I'm really happy with this build!!!

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
So, I'm back, and I have a question folks. WC is saying all release ring phones have been shifted, including those on the Release Preview, to the RTM RedStone builds. Can any of the good folks here with spare or testing phones confirm this over our ATIVs too? And whether we have hard reset capabilities returned to us on our devices or not?

I'm asking first instead of trying this myself because I want to hold back on any potentially phone breaking updates until I know we have the Hard Resets back on RedStone too since this is my primary, and I think we have all recorded the amount of trouble I have had the last time I tried going from 8.1 to 10 again on my phone. :(

-- W
My one phone set to Release Preview is not updating to Redstone; it's staying at 1511 build 10586.494

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10

I located a screen shot of user shantahan’s ICON. I plugged in the following values, rebooted, and bam my verizon Ativ-se found the updates.
PhoneHardwareVarient: RM-927
PhoneManufacturer: NOKIA
PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-927_nam_vzw_100
PhoneModelName: Lumia 929
View attachment 128977
I'm using these settings and my phone is running awesome!!
wp_ss_20160731_0001.jpg

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
RW, the instructions are lost somewhere in the very first WM10 thread on our forum if I remember correctly, but for the life of me I cant seem to find them anymore. :/

And I take it then, will this be the end of the line for upgrades for us then, without spoofing our way around to a higher release ring?

-- W

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Okay I can verify what Darrell has reported here, as I set up my ATIV SE back again for Release Preview, out of the production ring, to the same results as poor Darrell - and now poor me too. Sniff sniff. :'(

BUT. My good captive audience and you good excellent folks! :D I have some good news, very very very good news. After going through alot of active turding, I was able to get just the right registry values out of the blue abyss that is the interwebs, and the obscure 4Chan like world of XDA for WM. Which is actually kind of sad, since XDA was the original home for WM ROM cooking and the original HTC enthusiast site - all the way from a decade and a quarter ago. Sad, how times change. But I digress.

The magic... guess what... wait for it... Legen-dary!!! TETHERING AND MOBILE/WIFI HOTSPOT IS BACK FOLKS! I REPEAT, TETHERING AND MOBILE HOTSPOT IS BACKKKKK!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Anyways, pardon my excitement, since this is a primary use case for any data enabled smartphone I carry. So this was a hugggeee deal for me. Because I had second thoughts every other week about switching out to my Lumia 640 just for this/because of it. But, now I have it back, so my epic phone continues to remain epically so.

And now, for the instructions, I repeat this will work for all carriers. Even though I sourced it out of a few XDA threads which were only carrier specific for a couple of service providers, I'm putting the instructions down here in concise - and for all carriers. So it will unlock Wireless Tethering irrespective of your country of origin or cellular service.

Prelude/Preamble.
So we're supposed to get the RootTool.xap up and running, as per RW's guide. And once it is there. We're supposed to make the following changes to the registry. I'm going to list down the registry changes first. And then interpret how they're meant to be undertaken afterwards. You can make these changes in any order. Or any other Root Tool if you are more comfortable using another application. It isnt really important, as long as you write them all down, and reboot/restart your phone afterwards.

Step 0.
These are the following registry changes we will need to make.

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings
EntitlementRequired = 0

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX
HideMMSAPN = 0
HideAPN = 0

And now about how to go around making them through the RootTool application. Follow the same process we followed for Device ID spoofing.

Steps:

1. Open the Registry Tool for all Windows Devices.

2. Check HKLM. This is the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" button.

3. Check the "Check if Value is DWORD" button.

4. In the Registry Paths, input all the pathways in order of change. Starting with the first:
"System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings"

5. For Registry Key for this pathway, put in the underlying string:
"EntitlementRequired"

6. And for Registry Value, put in the DWord:
"0"

7. Now write the value in, if it is successful, it will change the Registry Value to show true.

8. Repeat for the pathway, "Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX".

9. With Registry key strings:
"HideMMSAPN"
"HideAPN"

And their Registry Value DWords: "0"

Do each of these and write them one by one, respectively. Make sure the Registry Values say True, once written.

DWord is a signifier of a value or a string being True or False, or 1 or 0. And so you know what to do if for some reason you want to give the phone to someone and troll them or you feel like being cruel to them and taking their Tethering away. Highschool Logic Design 101. Highschool mentality 101 too, sadly. -__- :/

10. And reboot your phone. Now check to see and your mobile Hotspot should be working all of a sudden, out of the blue. Magic! Viola!

Note:
Also, RW, since this is simply a continuation of the registry edits you make for device spoofing post upgrade to your device. It would be nice if you added this onto your original guide at the end of the How-To with a little note about adding HotSpot and Tethering capabilities to the phone. Something that Verizon is so kind as to take away from all of us users. Especially those not on their network, using and loving a phone neither they, nor Samsung, and by extension Microsoft, care to support. Because we love our platform. :)

Sauce:
Thanks to GTF696 on XDA forums for figuring out the right registry keys and values and posting his findings. His post for a little more obscure or carrier specific details can be found on his thread over at the XDA forum here.
[Q&A] [Research and Reference] Samsung A?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

But really, dont bother getting lost in there, theres a bunch of sources and values in there that we really dont need to get the Tethering to just work. The fewer the registry changes the better. Less things to break, so just the bare essentials needed for a performant service. And also because these are all going to be a PITA to put in after every hard reset. :p Though I really like the Tethering on WM10 now that I've seen it, much more informative than the settings page on WP8.1. :)

And that my good friends and companions, will be all for today from me. :) ^_^

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Okay I can verify what Darrell has reported here, as I set up my ATIV SE back again for Release Preview, out of the production ring, to the same results as poor Darrell - and now poor me too. Sniff sniff. :'(

BUT. My good captive audience and you good excellent folks! :D I have some good news, very very very good news. After going through alot of active turding, I was able to get just the right registry values out of the blue abyss that is the interwebs, and the obscure 4Chan like world of XDA for WM. Which is actually kind of sad, since XDA was the original home for WM ROM cooking and the original HTC enthusiast site - all the way from a decade and a quarter ago. Sad, how times change. But I digress.

The magic... guess what... wait for it... Legen-dary!!! TETHERING AND MOBILE/WIFI HOTSPOT IS BACK FOLKS! I REPEAT, TETHERING AND MOBILE HOTSPOT IS BACKKKKK!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Anyways, pardon my excitement, since this is a primary use case for any data enabled smartphone I carry. So this was a hugggeee deal for me. Because I had second thoughts every other week about switching out to my Lumia 640 just for this/because of it. But, now I have it back, so my epic phone continues to remain epically so.

And now, for the instructions, I repeat this will work for all carriers. Even though I sourced it out of a few XDA threads which were only carrier specific for a couple of service providers, I'm putting the instructions down here in concise - and for all carriers. So it will unlock Wireless Tethering irrespective of your country of origin or cellular service.

Prelude/Preamble.
So we're supposed to get the RootTool.xap up and running, as per RW's guide. And once it is there. We're supposed to make the following changes to the registry. I'm going to list down the registry changes first. And then interpret how they're meant to be undertaken afterwards. You can make these changes in any order. Or any other Root Tool if you are more comfortable using another application. It isnt really important, as long as you write them all down, and reboot/restart your phone afterwards.

Step 0.
These are the following registry changes we will need to make.

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings
EntitlementRequired = 0

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX
HideMMSAPN = 0
HideAPN = 0

And now about how to go around making them through the RootTool application. Follow the same process we followed for Device ID spoofing.

Steps:

1. Open the Registry Tool for all Windows Devices.

2. Check HKLM. This is the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" button.

3. Check the "Check if Value is DWORD" button.

4. In the Registry Paths, input all the pathways in order of change. Starting with the first:
"System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings"

5. For Registry Key for this pathway, put in the underlying string:
"EntitlementRequired"

6. And for Registry Value, put in the DWord:
"0"

7. Now write the value in, if it is successful, it will change the Registry Value to show true.

8. Repeat for the pathway, "Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISpecific\Default\CellUX".

9. With Registry key strings:
"HideMMSAPN"
"HideAPN"

And their Registry Value DWords: "0"

Do each of these and write them one by one, respectively. Make sure the Registry Values say True, once written.

DWord is a signifier of a value or a string being True or False, or 1 or 0. And so you know what to do if for some reason you want to give the phone to someone and troll them or you feel like being cruel to them and taking their Tethering away. Highschool Logic Design 101. Highschool mentality 101 too, sadly. -__- :/

10. And reboot your phone. Now check to see and your mobile Hotspot should be working all of a sudden, out of the blue. Magic! Viola!

Note:
Also, RW, since this is simply a continuation of the registry edits you make for device spoofing post upgrade to your device. It would be nice if you added this onto your original guide at the end of the How-To with a little note about adding HotSpot and Tethering capabilities to the phone. Something that Verizon is so kind as to take away from all of us users. Especially those not on their network, using and loving a phone neither they, nor Samsung, and by extension Microsoft, care to support. Because we love our platform. :)

Sauce:
Thanks to GTF696 on XDA forums for figuring out the right registry keys and values and posting his findings. His post for a little more obscure or carrier specific details can be found on his thread over at the XDA forum here.
[Q&A] [Research and Reference] Samsung A?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking

But really, dont bother getting lost in there, theres a bunch of sources and values in there that we really dont need to get the Tethering to just work. The fewer the registry changes the better. Less things to break, so just the bare essentials needed for a performant service. And also because these are all going to be a PITA to put in after every hard reset. :p Though I really like the Tethering on WM10 now that I've seen it, much more informative than the settings page on WP8.1. :)

And that my good friends and companions, will be all for today from me. :) ^_^

-- W

Okay, I tested this on my daily driver because my test phone doesn't have cell connection. I only use it for testing, typically. With that said, I can attest that tethering now works on my phone. I disconnected my tablet from my house wifi and connected to the phone Mobile Hot Spot. Works great. Fast too. Thanks W for this great information. Thanks to GTF696 over at XDA. Finally, we can use our hotspots without paying. Now we just have to see if we get caught....lol.

I updated my instructions to include the tethering hack. Enjoy.

- RW

Last edited:

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, I hope you dont get caught man. I just had to do it because all my data goes to waste thanks to the phone being unable to tether even when my plan and my service provider allows for it. Since I'm not Verizon, or in the States. On that note, Jeemo says that the ability to hard reset is back even for the RedStone builds now over on his thread. And that tethering works for him anyways on his RedStone device. Maybe we need to try and bring him on board here, he might be able to pitch in about our Release Preview devices not getting the upgrade?

-- W

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Will this get updated to the 1607 Anniversary Update? I try setting it to fast insider and on reboot check for phone updates and it finds none?

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Also, I have a question for everyone here. I believe I might have traced down the values for Haptic feedback and our devices are lacking them in the registry settings. If anyone can point me in a direction where we can add registry values to the phone, I can give it a shot here to see if I can bring it back to life here now. :)

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Also, I have a question for everyone here. I believe I might have traced down the values for Haptic feedback and our devices are lacking them in the registry settings. If anyone can point me in a direction where we can add registry values to the phone, I can give it a shot here to see if I can bring it back to life here now. :)

-- W

I discovered something. I side loaded Interop Tools, which is a non-app registry editor add on, which resides under Extras. I then went into the registry and discovered that haptic feedback is indeed there but called Vibrate under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Touch\Buttons\Vibrate. When I select Vibrate, it states a DWORD value of 1, which of course means ON. But, our devices continually result in no vibration or haptic feedback. I tried entering a new key called HapticFeedbackSupported, which I found on a Microsoft support page, not in a forum, but I get an Access Denied error. I guess even though we can unlock the OS and hack the registry for phone updates we can't change something as mundane as getting haptic feedback to work. Some other sites state we can do this but they are older and my guess is Microsoft killed the editing ability for certain keys in the registry. By the way, I tried this on my test ATIV SE which is running the latest Redstone version. By the way (2), on this phone I still have problems with the bottom touch keys not working from time to time. Rebooting helps, which by the way I have to remove the battery to do so because it will not reboot normally.

Anyone else having any ideas about the haptic feedback, would be really appreciated.

- RW

Dieselrod1

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Werentuckl, I believe you are referring to the root tool. Least ways this is where I altered my registry to gain access to mobile hotspot and tethering.

Last edited:

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Diesel, I was referring to adding registries, the root tool and the interop tools only help insofar that they let you edit registries, not add to them - sadly. Which is what I want to attempt, as I believe I the values I might want to test adding could open up something for us. If anyone can make additions to the registries, I would gladly have a conversation about my diggings ins so far, so we can try a fix together.

And RW, are there any updates on the upgrade path to RS yet for us, or not friend?

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I may just have gotten the phone onto the RS path track over the Release Preview Ring.

Could someone verify this for me. I kind of forgot what Release Ring I was in because I enrolled quiet a few times in different rings in the hopes my settings would let the phone see the RS update on some ring atleast to no luck. At all. Until I changed the PhoneModelName to Lumia 929. At which point, viola! It saw the updates. And now I have no way of checking, or know of any way atleast, if I did this while on the RP on the insiders. So can someone verify this for me, if these registry changes get us to RS on Release Preview or not?

Thanks. :)

Edit: Here is the complete set of values for the RS update over Release Ring, if anyone can verify it for us.

PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-927
PhoneHardwareVariant: RM-927

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I may just have gotten the phone onto the RS path track over the Release Preview Ring.

Could someone verify this for me. I kind of forgot what Release Ring I was in because I enrolled quiet a few times in different rings in the hopes my settings would let the phone see the RS update on some ring atleast to no luck. At all. Until I changed the PhoneModelName to Lumia 929. At which point, viola! It saw the updates. And now I have no way of checking, or know of any way atleast, if I did this while on the RP on the insiders. So can someone verify this for me, if these registry changes get us to RS on Release Preview or not?

Thanks. :)

Edit: Here is the complete set of values for the RS update over Release Ring, if anyone can verify it for us.

PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-927
PhoneHardwareVariant: RM-927

-- W

W, please keep in mind that this thread is for 10586 releases not Redstone. Redstone should be commented on in Jeemo's thread. With that said, the values for 10586 and Redstone builds are the same except for the PhoneModelName, which is "Lumia ICON" in 10586 builds.

Other topics are welcome such as haptic feedback problems, though.

I don't want confusion if or when others who happen to come here want to upgrade there ATIV SE.

- RW

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I understand RW, however Release Preview is only going to be on Threshold for us for the next month at the most after which the stable releases will move towards the RS1 over the Release Preview ring, and the other rings will move up towards RS2 or however it will be called. And if my understanding is correct, that would mean that any people wanting to get WM10 on their devices will be directly booted into whatever RTM RS1 build hits. So our thread here would have to move to it too unless Microsoft decides otherwise, and from the last press release I read, they're locking people out of getting back onto Threshold again if they start from WP8.1 again and their devices arent eligible for support beyond TH. And Jeemo's thread, likewise would have to be updated for whatever comes up on the other two rings.

My understanding was that this thread was aimed towards the RP or Production rings, and updating to them, and Jeemo's was for the Slow and Fast Rings, and the respective disparity between TH and RS1 or, going forward, RS1 and RS2 that came with it overtime. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Also, since I cant seem to find any way of adding registries, I'm going to just throw it out there for someone to try and see if its possible to add new values. I wanted to not put the larger community at risk of botched registries and have it on my conscience but what can I say, I cant seem to do it myself. Now these values are for WinCE based handhelds, the last of which were WP7.8 devices. But from experience, registries have worked the same across both the WinCE and WinNT based cores, atleast for the past almost two decades that is, so its worth a shot, if we can add these values in, and it works, we might just be onto something.

Go HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then Software then OEM then add the KeyState pathway
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\KeyState]

And add the following Strings

Value name= application_btn_vibrate3
Value data= 1
Value type= Dword

Save and Restart

Value 1 = no vibration on 3 buttons Search/windows/back

The source for this is ofcourse the old WP/WM forums at XDA, Noob403; wouldnt be a nice person to not credit it:
Disable haptic feedback for 3 buttons in fro… | HTC Trophy

This used to work back in the olden days, so it might just still work here too. And RW, the value 1 stands for false. Or nil, or disabled. What we want to do is change it to 0 somehow, for the pathways that you found, if I remember my logic design correctly. If we can set that to 0, or write these values in, we might just have some bit of luck here.

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I understand RW, however Release Preview is only going to be on Threshold for us for the next month at the most after which the stable releases will move towards the RS1 over the Release Preview ring, and the other rings will move up towards RS2 or however it will be called. And if my understanding is correct, that would mean that any people wanting to get WM10 on their devices will be directly booted into whatever RTM RS1 build hits. So our thread here would have to move to it too unless Microsoft decides otherwise, and from the last press release I read, they're locking people out of getting back onto Threshold again if they start from WP8.1 again and their devices arent eligible for support beyond TH. And Jeemo's thread, likewise would have to be updated for whatever comes up on the other two rings.

My understanding was that this thread was aimed towards the RP or Production rings, and updating to them, and Jeemo's was for the Slow and Fast Rings, and the respective disparity between TH and RS1 or, going forward, RS1 and RS2 that came with it overtime. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Also, since I cant seem to find any way of adding registries, I'm going to just throw it out there for someone to try and see if its possible to add new values. I wanted to not put the larger community at risk of botched registries and have it on my conscience but what can I say, I cant seem to do it myself. Now these values are for WinCE based handhelds, the last of which were WP7.8 devices. But from experience, registries have worked the same across both the WinCE and WinNT based cores, atleast for the past almost two decades that is, so its worth a shot, if we can add these values in, and it works, we might just be onto something.

Go HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then Software then OEM then add the KeyState pathway
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\OEM\KeyState]

And add the following Strings

Value name= application_btn_vibrate3
Value data= 1
Value type= Dword

Save and Restart

Value 1 = no vibration on 3 buttons Search/windows/back

The source for this is ofcourse the old WP/WM forums at XDA, Noob403; wouldnt be a nice person to not credit it:
Disable haptic feedback for 3 buttons in fro?€? | HTC Trophy

This used to work back in the olden days, so it might just still work here too. And RW, the value 1 stands for false. Or nil, or disabled. What we want to do is change it to 0 somehow, for the pathways that you found, if I remember my logic design correctly. If we can set that to 0, or write these values in, we might just have some bit of luck here.

-- W

Well, that DWORD explanation doesn't make sense. 1 has always meant ON or YES in code.

This is what Microsoft states:
Disable haptic feedback

By default, haptic feedback is enabled, so if your device supports haptic feedback, you don't have to set this registry setting. If, however, you want to disable haptic feedback or the device does not support this capability, you have to set the following registry setting. Setting the registry setting to not supported removes the haptic feedback setting from the Settings app.

Item Type
Possible Values

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\TOUCH\Buttons

HapticFeedbackSupported (DWORD)

0x0: Feature not supported on this device
0x1: Feature supported on this device

If you do not set this setting, it is assumed that haptic feedback is supported and the Settings app will display the haptic feedback setting to the user.

Of course there is always the exception. Will try again later.

As far as this thread; I will continue to monitor it, and yes, will update it when RS is the only option to go to. Sorry for being misleading.

- RW

Pieluna Anais

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I got a confirmation by MS agent regarding that. Preview for Devs app has been pulled out from store. It seems that P4D's functions are merged into Insider app - thus the old one was removed.

Unfortunately, you can only install xap manually when the app is still available on the store too. So you can't install the app unless it come back to store.

Since all the apps listed are gone away CustomWPSystem isn't able to use currently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss