New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
OK Cool yeah I'll do that. Another thing the stock camera app seems to be working ok if flash is off. If you take one with flash on you need to reboot the phone because it becomes all screwy. In the 494 build you could use the ativ camera to reset the camera if I remember correctly, this build requires a full reboot.
Ativ Camera can take shots with flash on ok.

I can confirm the flash issue; I've been struggling with that for the last 2 weeks (before 14393 even). Unfortunately the issue isn't exclusive to flash, and sometimes I can even get multiple flash shots working properly. I don't think this issue is specific to our phone, however, so I expect it to be fixed in the coming updates.

Also, just giving you a heads up to read my above post since I didn't quote you in it. Congratulations again

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Jeemo, could you kindly give RW's updated files a go as well when you do so that we can be sure if our older method - on all four threads - has really been deprecated or do we have two alternate pathways onto the WM10 train now. It just struck me that if it has really been deprecated, it would make the earliest two WM10 threads on the subforum obsolete, and one of them is stickied. So it would be best to only have the more concise and updated two tutorials up here, and on the stickies.

-- W

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
I can confirm the flash issue; I've been struggling with that for the last 2 weeks (before 14393 even). Unfortunately the issue isn't exclusive to flash, and sometimes I can even get multiple flash shots working properly. I don't think this issue is specific to our phone, however, so I expect it to be fixed in the coming updates.

Also, just giving you a heads up to read my above post since I didn't quote you in it. Congratulations again

no problem its a good feeling to help and be back in win10. yeah I read all the posts I kept refreshing every half hour tbh after I posted my solution I was real excited to post my steps

BATTAT

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm having trouble following your steps for I get the 8.1 update to get to windows 10 but after that it doesn't update to windows 10 am I missing something?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
@Werentuckl haha you're right, I didn't notice he was on NZ!

@rmabwing5 you can't sideload PfD without an interop unlocked phone because of the capabilities it has.

@westnz ******* AWESOME job man!! I'm glad you were able to get your hands on the files and that you were able to successfully use that tutorial! Great job making new instructions in english, as well. Rmabwing5 and I should update our tutorials soon. However, I will be waiting to update mine until Anniversary Update goes out and I can confirm the final process myself (which I will now be doing right away, since you confirmed that this is still possible). HUUUUUUGE thank you for confirming it! I had a good feeling that it would work, but I wasn't confident enough to risk losing win 10 on my daily driver. I really appreciate your efforts, and I'm sure others do too. I'll be sure to credit you in my updated tutorial when the update goes live within the next few days.

True, Jeemo, I didn't think of that (side loading PfD). You are correct, can't be done. PM me so we can get our ducks in a row on how to resolve this issue before I change my thread instructions.

Thanks in advance

- RW

BATTAT

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Is this step necessary from the OP?

Open Root Tool from your apps list on your phone

i. Select "For All Windows Device"
ii. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE radio button
iii. Under "Registry Path to Operate" type System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
iv. Under "Registry Key" type PhoneModelName
v. Under "Registry Value" type RM-929
vi. Click Write

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I discovered something. I side loaded Interop Tools, which is a non-app registry editor add on, which resides under Extras. I then went into the registry and discovered that haptic feedback is indeed there but called Vibrate under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Touch\Buttons\Vibrate. When I select Vibrate, it states a DWORD value of 1, which of course means ON. But, our devices continually result in no vibration or haptic feedback. I tried entering a new key called HapticFeedbackSupported, which I found on a Microsoft support page, not in a forum, but I get an Access Denied error. I guess even though we can unlock the OS and hack the registry for phone updates we can't change something as mundane as getting haptic feedback to work. Some other sites state we can do this but they are older and my guess is Microsoft killed the editing ability for certain keys in the registry. By the way, I tried this on my test ATIV SE which is running the latest Redstone version. By the way (2), on this phone I still have problems with the bottom touch keys not working from time to time. Rebooting helps, which by the way I have to remove the battery to do so because it will not reboot normally.

Anyone else having any ideas about the haptic feedback, would be really appreciated.

- RW
Some of my vibration settings work: I have my phone set to vibrate when an outgoing phone call is answered, and it works.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I may just have gotten the phone onto the RS path track over the Release Preview Ring.

Could someone verify this for me. I kind of forgot what Release Ring I was in because I enrolled quiet a few times in different rings in the hopes my settings would let the phone see the RS update on some ring atleast to no luck. At all. Until I changed the PhoneModelName to Lumia 929. At which point, viola! It saw the updates. And now I have no way of checking, or know of any way atleast, if I did this while on the RP on the insiders. So can someone verify this for me, if these registry changes get us to RS on Release Preview or not?

Thanks. :)

Edit: Here is the complete set of values for the RS update over Release Ring, if anyone can verify it for us.

PhoneManufacturer: NOKIA
PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-927
PhoneModelName: Lumia 929
PhoneHardwareVariant: RM-927

-- W
Yes!!! It works:) I'm downloading 14393.5 using the Preview Release setting!

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
@westnz there's no difference between the two as far as I know.

@wer Yea, When I have time to I'll be keeping my sim card in my other device for a week and testing all of our methods so that we can clean up the tutorials. Unfortunately it's possible that we will lose access to TH2, unless there's another msm8974 device that got an official update to TH2 but is being left out of RS1; which is very possible, so keep your hopes up if you prefer TH2.

@RW When I start doing more testing (it won't be until this weekend most likely), you'll be the first person to know. Let me know if you get any more info as well. I assume you'll be trying different methods since you have a spare SE?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Jeemo, Yes, I'm back on 8.1 on my test phone. I'm going to try a few things and see what happens. Will let everyone know how it goes once I have some concrete results.

- RW

Pieluna Anais

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
factory resetted 8.1
connected to wifi but turned off auto update apps in initial setup
unlocked via developer phone registration

Original Thread by westnz

Requirements : ATIV SE running latest WP8.1.1 (Update 1) Build and following files

https://mega.nz/#!CMVziZIL!w1fdfgb2m5S8sonW51O5BFhhX3R5tWyl1AhfYceS9w8
https://mega.nz/#!2RVlwJKR!LR0JL_b0M5apY0Vijxq1MMn5BogUtFqbO3wPd21RbW8

1. Factory reset your phone. ( if needed )
2. Do setup. Connect to Wi-Fi, select custom, uncheck auto update apps.
3. Unlock your phone via Windows Phone 8.1 Developer phone registraiton.
4. Go Settings, date+time, set date 100 years forward. ( no reboot needed )
5. Go back to Settings, scroll down and click call/message settings.
6. An error popup occurs. Proceed uninstall.
7. Then set date+time back correctly.
8. Copy InteropUnlocker_SE_81.xap & wphTweaks_v10.xap into the root of SD card.
9. Create a blank txt file and rename it Non-Production Errors.txt
10. Copy the txt file you just created to Documents folder in the phones memory.
11. Using SDK, deploy SamWPSystem to phone memory.
12. Go Storage Sense, change where to store new apps to SD card.
13. On app list, open CustomWPSystem.
14. Click SD Card permissions box, tick sd card and press OK icon.
15. Click Unhide WPSystem too. Two of items will be green then.
16. Select AdditionalCallSettings as the target app and press Download from Store.
17. After install it again, go back to CustomWPSystem.
18. Select the XAP > sd card > InteropUnlock_SE_81.xap and go apply XAP.
19. Open Settings, scroll down to the bottom, run additional call settings.
20. Hit Unlock. When it succeed, reboot the device.
21. With SDK, deploy wphTweaks.xap
22. Open WPH Tweaks > tools > tap registry editor.
23. Follow OP's guide by step 16.
( You can browse the item with double click )

Well... did I follow right steps?

Pieluna Anais

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Had the registry hacks I enrolled the Release Preview build.
But it only takes me to 8.10.14219.341 - No more updates found.

Once it done windows insider makes an error when trying to change another release.
' Sorry, we cannot configure your device because it is currently preparing an update. Please install the update ( Settings > Phone Update ) and then try again )

OMG... I hope I did something wrong. Going to start over.

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Original Thread by westnz

Requirements : ATIV SE running latest WP8.1.1 (Update 1) Build and following files

https://mega.nz/#!CMVziZIL!w1fdfgb2m5S8sonW51O5BFhhX3R5tWyl1AhfYceS9w8
https://mega.nz/#!2RVlwJKR!LR0JL_b0M5apY0Vijxq1MMn5BogUtFqbO3wPd21RbW8

1. Factory reset your phone. ( if needed )
2. Do setup. Connect to Wi-Fi, select custom, uncheck auto update apps.
3. Unlock your phone via Windows Phone 8.1 Developer phone registraiton.
4. Go Settings, date+time, set date 100 years forward. ( no reboot needed )
5. Go back to Settings, scroll down and click call/message settings.
6. An error popup occurs. Proceed uninstall.
7. Then set date+time back correctly.
8. Copy InteropUnlocker_SE_81.xap & wphTweaks_v10.xap into the root of SD card.
9. Create a blank txt file and rename it Non-Production Errors.txt
10. Copy the txt file you just created to Documents folder in the phones memory.
11. Using SDK, deploy SamWPSystem to phone memory.
12. Go Storage Sense, change where to store new apps to SD card.
13. On app list, open CustomWPSystem.
14. Click SD Card permissions box, tick sd card and press OK icon.
15. Click Unhide WPSystem too. Two of items will be green then.
16. Select AdditionalCallSettings as the target app and press Download from Store.
17. After install it again, go back to CustomWPSystem.
18. Select the XAP > sd card > InteropUnlock_SE_81.xap and go apply XAP.
19. Open Settings, scroll down to the bottom, run additional call settings.
20. Hit Unlock. When it succeed, reboot the device.
21. With SDK, deploy wphTweaks.xap
22. Open WPH Tweaks > tools > tap registry editor.
23. Follow OP's guide by step 16.
( You can browse the item with double click )

Well... did I follow right steps?

Your layout is more clear.....I was in a rush in my post excited to get word out it can be done :)
....although I did not use the sdk app deploy in step 21, I used that one in the mega link I got from another place because I was having trouble with the sdk one a day or 2 earlier . I believe it is a hacked one. But, that is not to say the sdk one doesn't work because I never tested the sdk one in this process.

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Had the registry hacks I enrolled the Release Preview build.
But it only takes me to 8.10.14219.341 - No more updates found.

Once it done windows insider makes an error when trying to change another release.
' Sorry, we cannot configure your device because it is currently preparing an update. Please install the update ( Settings > Phone Update ) and then try again )

OMG... I hope I did something wrong. Going to start over.

that is an error when it needs to continue with a minor/another update before it starts the win 10 update I believe

Pieluna Anais

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
that is an error when it needs to continue with a minor/another update before it starts the win 10 update I believe

Several times of hard reset and starting over from WP 8.0 didn't worked. It wouldn't let me get insider release preview build.

I set registey hacks exactly same with OP - NOKIA RM-927 Lumia ICON. This settings took me up to DENIM build that installed before WP10.

So I made some changes. Just change PhoneModelName to RM-929 and enrolled Insider Fast. And, it worked.

Well... let me have a check what happens.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just want to let everyone know that I was able to update to the very latest (14393.67) build easily. Once you have the first Win10 (10586.107) installed, just re-select the Release Preview ring and go to town. Mine went straight from .107 to 14393.5, and then I got today's update. Pretty sweet!

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Just want to let everyone know that I was able to update to the very latest (14393.67) build easily. Once you have the first Win10 (10586.107) installed, just re-select the Release Preview ring and go to town. Mine went straight from .107 to 14393.5, and then I got today's update. Pretty sweet!

yep im on 14393.67 now too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99