New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Me either got the update directly to 14393.67 with Fast ring.

WP 8.1.2 DENIM final build > WP 10 10586.107 > 14393.67

BTW do you think that interop unlock method is still available on WIN10?

tbh I dont know. what happened was i was following the 8.1 interop unlock guide thru but I couldnt change a key so I thought stuff this and gave up on permanent interop unlock then I crossed my fingers I could change the samsung to nokia keys to update to win 10 and it worked then posted my rough guide :)

Last edited:

Pieluna Anais

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
Anyone, if you face troubles downloading keyboard text suggestions update for additional language, just switch insider build to fast ring. You can switch to your favorite anytime you want.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Quick thing I want to discuss.

An exploit for the Redstone SecureBoot stack has surfaced, and supposedly allows TestSigning to the bootmgr (previously we only had TestSigning post-boot). This means that we could possibly run self-signed EFI's, and therefore custom ROMs. This is currently applicable to all devices running Redstone (although not yet confirmed on Xbox One). As our phone is running Redstone with SecureBoot, this potentially applies to us. The exploit is very difficult for Microsoft to patch, because in doing so, they would ruin bootchain-passability (I made that up) for various legacy devices (for example, the most logical patch would make it impossible to boot into the recovery partition on a PC, or the flashing interface on a mobile device). It is likely that Microsoft will only be able to patch this exploit for devices that have been manufactured post-Redstone.

TL;DR:
There is a strong potential for being able to run custom ROMs on the Ativ SE in the near future.

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Quick thing I want to discuss.

An exploit for the Redstone SecureBoot stack has surfaced, and supposedly allows TestSigning to the bootmgr (previously we only had TestSigning post-boot). This means that we could possibly run self-signed EFI's, and therefore custom ROMs. This is currently applicable to all devices running Redstone (although not yet confirmed on Xbox One). As our phone is running Redstone with SecureBoot, this potentially applies to us. The exploit is very difficult for Microsoft to patch, because in doing so, they would ruin bootchain-passability (I made that up) for various legacy devices (for example, the most logical patch would make it impossible to boot into the recovery partition on a PC, or the flashing interface on a mobile device). It is likely that Microsoft will only be able to patch this exploit for devices that have been manufactured post-Redstone.

TL;DR:
There is a strong potential for being able to run custom ROMs on the Ativ SE in the near future.

yeah I saw about that I was checking the xda windows rt forum a couple times a week last few months waiting for it to come so I could buy a surface 2 or lumia 2520 to load win10 mobile or android or linux or whatever on it.

in terms of win10m does that mean custom roms in the future with the emulate android bits from that defunct project astoria or whatever it was called for example?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
in terms of win10m does that mean custom roms in the future with the emulate android bits from that defunct project astoria or whatever it was called for example?

That depends on whether or not the binaries for current Win10m explicitly blacklist Project Astoria. But yes, it's not implausible as far as I know. More importantly, though, this could allow us to dual-boot Android and Windows, properly.

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
That depends on whether or not the binaries for current Win10m explicitly blacklist Project Astoria. But yes, it's not implausible as far as I know. More importantly, though, this could allow us to dual-boot Android and Windows, properly.

Oh yes thats what I would really love, just wasnt sure I was allowed to voice that kind of desire in a windows forum haha

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site

Oh yes thats what I would really love, just wasnt sure I was allowed to voice that kind of desire in a windows forum haha

You're not allowed to voice that in my thread....lol. Only kidding; I've been known to voice the fact that I would like to dabble in dual booting Win10M and Android. It would be the best of both worlds because there are still so many Android apps I used to use on my Android phone (before going to Win Mobile) that just aren't available for our beloved Win10M phones. I'll most probably never go back to Android as a daily driver phone, but I'd like to be able to use some apps only available on Android - especially since there are still so many developers who haven't taken the plunge to make or convert their Android or iPhone app to a Windows Mobile app. Hope this can be done soon so I can play with something different.

On a side note, I tried the directions by WestNZ for updating to Win10M from Win 8.1 to no avail; this is why my direction at the beginning of this thread are cut off and state To Be Continued. I need to look at a couple of things to see if I did something wrong or if it just doesn't work for me. Will let you all know when I get something concrete and finish the instructions....Thanks for your patience.

- RW

UPDATE: No matter what I do I can't get my phone to update. This is very frustrating.

Last edited:

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Where are you stuck? At one point I had to turn off insider builds and then re-enroll to get things to work.

I did a full reset back to 8.0 and I had a little trouble myself following my own directions lol so I dropped the nam vzw strings (I have Verizon model), used the shorter ones, and Lumia icon and used Lumia 929 and I was able to get to .67 on DP.

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Where are you stuck? At one point I had to turn off insider builds and then re-enroll to get things to work.

I did a full reset back to 8.0 and I had a little trouble myself following my own directions lol so I dropped the nam vzw strings (I have Verizon model), used the shorter ones, and Lumia icon and used Lumia 929 and I was able to get to .67 on DP.

What I noticed is if you let apps update in the store it screws with the phone update n u have to reset n reunlock, deploy the xaps etc

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
WestNZ. Brother. You said you just did a full reset back to 8.0 and got back on 10. If I am reading what you mean correctly. Could you kindly put together all the files you use. Upload and put them in a drop box or onedrive or something.

And write us a more detailed/thorough walk through that everyone, including you ofcourse, can follow easily. Or atleast more easily. Just take the old one you wrote, and add into it to make it a little more detailed with more clearly laid out steps. Once RW and/or Jeemo can get back on the WM10 builds using your instructions, they can flesh them out into better/greater detail and update the first posts with the newer guidelines and a clear concise tutorial. This helps make the resource much cleaner for all of us and keeps our doors to WM10 open, thanks the heroics of trailblazers like you and RW and Jeemo! :) ^_^

-- W

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
WestNZ. Brother. You said you just did a full reset back to 8.0 and got back on 10. If I am reading what you mean correctly. Could you kindly put together all the files you use. Upload and put them in a drop box or onedrive or something.

And write us a more detailed/thorough walk through that everyone, including you ofcourse, can follow easily. Or atleast more easily. Just take the old one you wrote, and add into it to make it a little more detailed with more clearly laid out steps. Once RW and/or Jeemo can get back on the WM10 builds using your instructions, they can flesh them out into better/greater detail and update the first posts with the newer guidelines and a clear concise tutorial. This helps make the resource much cleaner for all of us and keeps our doors to WM10 open, thanks the heroics of trailblazers like you and RW and Jeemo! :) ^_^

-- W

ok

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I'm performing a soft reset of my phone and I will no undoubtedly have to add the .xap files back on and hack the registry again. We'll see if I can upgrade after that. To Be Continued.

@W,
Thanks for suggesting to WestNZ to write up something concrete. Once he finishes, and I can actually upgrade my phone, I will complete the updated instructions in the beginning of this thread.

@WestNZ,
Please PM me when you are finished.

Thanks guys.

- RW

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Just to clarify to everyone, I will be remaking my tutorial, but not until after this weekend. I have obligations this weekend and I cannot take care of them with my SIM card in my Android device (because my workflow on Win10m BLOWS it away).

westnz

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
cool done. sent my concrete hot off the press steps to @rmabwing5

btw this is the last time folks I hate re-doing my start menu every time haha

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey all,

I have finally confirmed the directions from WestNZ so I've updated the thread to the current way of upgrading our phones. Again, thanks to WestNZ for coming up with these instructions. I've had a few PMs with WestNZ to clarify a couple of items and they are now clearer in the directions I've updated. Next I will try to confirm that WPS Tweaks can be used to change the registry values to enable Mobile Hotspot and will update those directions as well.

As always, if there are any errors or if anyone is stuck feel free to ask me for help either here or PM. Also, I'm sure Jeemo, Werentucki, or WestNZ will help also if I'm unavailable.

Thanks to all for your support.

- RW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett