New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
That sounds ominous RW. Please dont leave out little group of ATIV SE buddies here man. :(

But, yes. We're all available here to help to our best ability. Always. ^_^ And the registry values and changes are the same/Remain the same, even with the new RS builds RW. You can easily get through to these changes using Gustav's interop tools as well too, for making changes to the registry. As I just walked Libra through the same instructions on her Lumia 950. For T-Mobile. So this hack is universal. Basically. For WM10. And WP8.1 too. :) ^_^

Still no luck sadly for our haptic feedback. But the rest of the phone is upto par with the stock experience and features that Samsung shipped with it. This, haptic feedback. And the IR blaster. Since WatchOn has been pulled from the MS platform. Long before most of us even arrived on it. Ive been wondering if there's any way of using/exploiting the feature. I havent seen any apps on the store that can use the hardware at all. Since this was the only WP ever shipped with one so far. :/

Edit: I have detailed instructions on her thread over at the 950 subforum for the Gustav InterOp Tools. If you want to directly lift/copy them from here. Its the thread titled MMS Issues on the 950. Started by Libra89 friend. :)

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
That sounds ominous RW. Please dont leave out little group of ATIV SE buddies here man. :(

But, yes. We're all available here to help to our best ability. Always. ^_^ And the registry values and changes are the same/Remain the same, even with the new RS builds RW. You can easily get through to these changes using Gustav's interop tools as well too, for making changes to the registry. As I just walked Libra through the same instructions on her Lumia 950. For T-Mobile. So this hack is universal. Basically. For WM10. And WP8.1 too. :) ^_^

Still no luck sadly for our haptic feedback. But the rest of the phone is upto par with the stock experience and features that Samsung shipped with it. This, haptic feedback. And the IR blaster. Since WatchOn has been pulled from the MS platform. Long before most of us even arrived on it. Ive been wondering if there's any way of using/exploiting the feature. I havent seen any apps on the store that can use the hardware at all. Since this was the only WP ever shipped with one so far. :/

Edit: I have detailed instructions on her thread over at the 950 subforum for the Gustav InterOp Tools. If you want to directly lift/copy them from here. Its the thread titled MMS Issues on the 950. Started by Libra89 friend. :)

-- W

Ominous not intended. The four of us seem to be the ones with the most knowledge so I mentioned our names, but yes, we all contribute and questions can, in fact, be asked to anyone. Someone will have an answer, I'm sure. Sorry for the "Ominous" confusion...lol. Take care my friend.

- RW

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a bunch mate. Better not bail. Reminds me of all the people who pioneered on getting us here. And then just slowly fell by the wayside, vanished. Or faded away. Aselite. Brad Herr. And the list goes on. Atleast we still have Darrell. He's one of heck of a tester man! :) I hope most of us are here to stay. For a while atleast. I know I am. ^_^ :)

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a bunch mate. Better not bail. Reminds me of all the people who pioneered on getting us here. And then just slowly fell by the wayside, vanished. Or faded away. Aselite. Brad Herr. And the list goes on. Atleast we still have Darrell. He's one of heck of a tester man! :) I hope most of us are here to stay. For a while atleast. I know I am. ^_^ :)

-- W

No worries...I'm here to stay as long as I have this phone, possibly even beyond to provide support where I can. As you know, I have two ATIV SEs so even if my daily takes a dive and I go with a Lumia or something, I will still have my test one to help out here. I'm not into abandoning everyone here; if and when I leave, and it's still a big IF, I will surely let everyone know.

- RW

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I've been trying to get my hands on a Lumia Icon (locally) so I can put my SE in full testing/development mode. If anybody knows someone near Chicago with an Icon, please let me know.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried swappa? There's a couple used there on Swappa Jeemo. For a decent price. And also try your local CL, or even Ebay. Another good idea would be to post a WTB on our forum marketplace here. Thats where I got my ATIV anyways. :)

-- W

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Yup, I've checked swappa, ebay, and CL. Swappa is overpriced for the device IMO, ebay only has good prices on devices with cracked screens (although I'm sure I could get lucky in an auction if I tried for a few weeks, though I'm looking for an instant transaction asap), and there aren't any on CL around here unfortunately. I didn't post in the marketplace subforum because it's pretty inactive, but I did post on the Icon subforum here, in case someone reading there has switched carriers.

Regardless, thank you for the input

Dieselrod1

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
I thank you guys for your unselfish contributions for our ATIV SE's. Do you know what registry lines we might change so we can use "tap to pay"? I think we need to imitate a Lumia 950.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately. I dont think tap to pay is going to be available to us anytime soon Diesel. Tap to Pay was only made available to the current gen Lumias and everyone else, including older Nokia flagships, were left out. They say its a standards/hardware handshake/NFC chip issue. But I dont really know the details of that. Sadly. :(

-- W

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Quick thing I want to discuss.

An exploit for the Redstone SecureBoot stack has surfaced, and supposedly allows TestSigning to the bootmgr (previously we only had TestSigning post-boot). This means that we could possibly run self-signed EFI's, and therefore custom ROMs. This is currently applicable to all devices running Redstone (although not yet confirmed on Xbox One). As our phone is running Redstone with SecureBoot, this potentially applies to us. The exploit is very difficult for Microsoft to patch, because in doing so, they would ruin bootchain-passability (I made that up) for various legacy devices (for example, the most logical patch would make it impossible to boot into the recovery partition on a PC, or the flashing interface on a mobile device). It is likely that Microsoft will only be able to patch this exploit for devices that have been manufactured post-Redstone.

TL;DR:
There is a strong potential for being able to run custom ROMs on the Ativ SE in the near future.
Very cool! You are very wise..o Jeemo!

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Okay. So I discovered something. Haptic feedback is still very much there. I know onscreen haptic feedback is at least there. Its just the WM10 that cant hook into it because we're using the updates for the Icon. Or the 930. Whichever, whoever, uses. And haptic feedback hooks into different registry values on there for it. Maybe if we tried the updates for 1520. Or some other device. But it also doesnt work for spoofing the 950's ID. So I have my reservations about that.

Anyways, here is what I discovered. And it gave me just a little bit of a glimmer of hope. If anyone could make anything out of it. I would be welcome. If you type in the Nokia Field Test code, ##3282#, it installs/unhides Samsung's ATIV SE diagnostic app. Under the header of Daignosis_Hur81. Which is the internal codename for the device. This normally unavailable to us. And it this point I dont even know what we can do with it. But it brings up an onscreen keypad. Which has working onscreen haptic feedback. If we could somehow trace it back to where it hooks into for haptic feedback. We can have a better/clearer working understanding of the function, or lack thereof, for our Ativ devices.

Atleast we have a working proof of concept now. That haptic feedback does work. In some form. Provided the right implementation.

-- W

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
@Werentuckl, the Diagnosis app isn't useful to us once you've upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1. There was a vulnerability in the 8.0 version which allowed us to access the Samsung RPC (Remote Procedure Call) dll through it, but this was patched with the upgrade to 8.1. I haven't asked Wolf about this yet, but it's possible that his version of InteropUnlock for the SE uses a newly found vulnerability in the new Diagnosis app, but I am not sure. He may have found a vulnerability elsewhere. 5-6 months ago I sent him the original and updated versions of our Diagnosis app, in addition to all of our registry and provxml files that are used on a hard reset; the registry files are what his SE hack is based on, but I don't know if the new Diagnosis app is his method of implementation. Regardless, utilizing the Diagnosis tool requires an understanding beyond mine, and the only English-speaking people I know that could help are Wolf, Snickler, Titi, and a couple other people from XDA. Unfortunately, none of them have an Ativ SE, so they don't have much of an incentive to research such vulnerabilities.

Edit: To clarify, using the Diagnosis app is simple; the codes for using it are all over XDA, and are also in some of our registry files (you can look through them in the InteropUnlock_SE pack if you don't have full system access on your SE). What's difficult is reverse engineering it to discover vulnerabilities, and then developing exploits for the vulnerabilities found.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
No, I understand what you're saying Jeemo. All I was saying was the observation that I noted. About the Diagnosis app still being able to demonstrate haptic feedback on our devices. Even in WM10. Whereas we dont see that being demonstrated anywhere else across the OS.

But I appreciate the detailed and indepth reply. :)

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
On my daily driver, running 10586, I somehow lost ATIV Beam. Is there any way of getting it back without restoring the phone?

What actually happened, for clarity, is ATIV Beam stopped opening up, no apparent reason why, so I "Uninstalled" it. So, now I want to get it back.

- RW

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Isnt ATIV Beam for data sharing RW? Yup. It opens up just fine here. With the NFC toggles and all. Same for when it was on 10585.

If I have it correctly. We just need to repackage it into an APPX for you. Somehow. Off a working device. To sideload. Yes?

-- W

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Isnt ATIV Beam for data sharing RW? Yup. It opens up just fine here. With the NFC toggles and all. Same for when it was on 10585.

If I have it correctly. We just need to repackage it into an APPX for you. Somehow. Off a working device. To sideload. Yes?

-- W

My initial thought is yes, we would have to repackage into an APPX. I just don't know how. I'll do some learning from our friend Google. Also, it's used to send things like pics, vids, docs, and music from one phone to another just by tapping.

Thank you, friend.

- RW

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
@Werentuckl Ah, I see what you're saying. The main reason vibration isn't working is because the package we download (for the Icon) points to the Lumia driver for the vibration motor (our phone uses the default driver from Qualcomm I believe, which is what Diagnosis points to). Re-enabling haptic feedback for the buttons is very possible, however, since it is a system action, it requires full system access to adjust that registry key permanently. Even the InteropUnlock that we have available doesn't have the necessary privileges for that. The only solution would be to adjust it in the install reg files (like OEMSettings.reg and the related provxmls), but this would require a hard reset to work. I can guarantee that I will have this working when I come up with a new tutorial (or ROM) for the device.

@rmabwing5 the Ativ Beam package uses interopservices, so you would need InteropUnlock to deploy it (as well as a modified/third-party deployment tool). If someone were to repackage it as an appxbundle (which could be done in visual studio if someone were able to decompile the xap), you could deploy it on the device from Interop Tools (the version that was released a few days ago).

Quick update: @krazyatom has offered me a generous deal on a Lumia Icon, which I will be putting my SIM card into once it arrives later this week. This means I'll be doing more intensive work on my SE. I will have a new tutorial to confirm, and will provide instructions for extra things such as permanent InteropUnlock. The first thing I'm doing with the SE will be getting admin command-line access via SSH (already capable on Lumias thanks to Interop Tools, and the Ativ S thanks to Snickler (which will be the basis of my process)). Once I have command-line access, I will be testing Wack0's SecureBoot exploit (he's releasing a mobile version of it this week), and related resources. Good things are coming. If the process to do all of this is easily reproducible via a tutorial, this will open new doors. One step closer to custom ROMs which are already interop-unlocked and ready to continue receiving OTA updates.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I got a confirmation by MS agent regarding that. Preview for Devs app has been pulled out from store. It seems that P4D's functions are merged into Insider app - thus the old one was removed.

Unfortunately, you can only install xap manually when the app is still available on the store too. So you can't install the app unless it come back to store.

Since all the apps listed are gone away CustomWPSystem isn't able to use currently.

I just reset one of my phones back to 8.0, then 8.1...and Preview for Developers was IN the Windows 8 store; I downloaded/installed and moved it to my SD card; then did all the usual processes/steps, and i'm now up and running 1607 14393.67

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
What deal did you get for the Icon Jeemo? You did say very generous. Just curious. :)

And I take it then, its going to be a lot of working around to get RW's ATIV Beam back. Am I correct. My understanding was the same, that we would need to extract, decompile, and repackage the Appx as well. Over Visual Studio. What I did not know was that RW would need an InterOp Unlock too for it, to be able to deploy it. On an interesting note. XDA had some people working on an App extractor, or some such thing, over WP7 and/or WP8. Would hunting for something similar yield in any luck whatsoever? Also, the app shows up in the app store for me RW. I take it that it does not for you then?

And Darrell, since you reset all the way back to WP8.0, can you confirm if there was a stock app by the name of WatchOn by Samsung installed? That was/is sadly the only app in the Windows Store capable of using/exploiting the IR blaster on our phones. I have been unable to locate it anywhere despite the best of my efforts.

Ah, and now I finally understand the issue with vibration and haptic feedback. I had similar suspicions. But no concrete evidence or understanding of the cause behind it Jeemo. Now that I do, and that you've brought it up. I'm wondering if flashing a custom rom or developing one, would be a good idea or not, as there is already a working pathway to official upgrades. Does that make sense?

-- W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99