New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I can testify to wonky brightness. On that note. I havent hard reset once yet since Threshold. So there is that too. I've been waiting for RS RTM or official release to go down that route. So keeping my fingers crossed for that. Lets see what happens. :/

-- W

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Just a heads up, doing a hard reset on 14393 was without a doubt a good choice. It will fix those issues. You should wait until Anniversary Update is officially released to mobile (probably tomorrow), so you don't have to deal with registry editing.

Darrell, yes, PfD is still in the store if your device is running 8.0. My new tutorial will not be using that, though, as Wolf's new hack utilizes apps that are built into the phone (and therefore have OEM-related capabilities, in addition to InteropServices). Also, his hack can be modified to be a permanent unlock (which will be part of the tutorial).

Werentuckl, maybe not, I have a few more ideas for him. And regarding custom ROMs, I definitely think it's a good idea once we have a way of doing so. Permanent unlocks, capabilities completely removed (which gives access to all capabilities, essentially), removed bloat, replacing the built-in 8.0 apps with their win10 equivalent (like Facebook Beta, for example), as well as modifications that would prevent Insider upgrades from changing registry keys that point to the Samsung-specific drivers. More importantly, a tutorial that gets everyone the ability to flash a custom ROM will make future tutorials significantly easier. If everyone is running the custom ROM, then whoever is making the tutorial can assume that the most essential changes have already been made (such as interop unlock and capability unlock), therefore making the tutorial shorter and easier to comprehend.

@rmabwing5 Here's the link for ATIV Beam in the store: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fp%2Fativ-beam%2F9wzdncrdfncd&token=eeoIhK4d
It probably wont let you download it because the store thinks you have a Nokia Lumia Icon. If you change your registry values back to Samsung and SM-W750V, you should be able to download/install it from the store. Regardless, if all you need is NFC sharing, there are other apps in the store that are faster and have more features than ATIV Beam (including apps built for Windows 10). If you need to change your registry keys, enable developer mode in settings, and install Interop Tools from your phone. I'll link the newest version:
https://t.co/7qOwVYd1Mb
You need the file that ends with arm.appxbundle, as well as the dependencies folder. Enable developer mode in settings, navigate to the dependencies folder in file explorer, install the 4 dependencies 1 at a time (wait 30 seconds between installs), and then install the arm.appxbundle of Interop Tools.

Just a quick note, Snickler's new method of getting a remote SSH command-line session working is being integrated into Gus' next version of Interop Tools (probably released this week). This will make the permanent unlock tutorial much easier.

Edit: VCFan (who made one of the original registry editors for the Lumia RPC dll on 8.1/10) just left this note on XDA:
"i may have found a way to get all privileges. i have code running now with mostly everything including SeTcbPrivilege"
I assume his method requires the hack that's available for the Lumia RPC dll, however, once we have CMD access we should be able to make the same changes. There will be big steps forward for our phone over the next month. I'm pretty excited.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
What deal did you get for the Icon Jeemo? You did say very generous. Just curious. :)
And Darrell, since you reset all the way back to WP8.0, can you confirm if there was a stock app by the name of WatchOn by Samsung installed? That was/is sadly the only app in the Windows Store capable of using/exploiting the IR blaster on our phones. I have been unable to locate it anywhere despite the best of my efforts.

-- W

Yes W; WatchON was installed!
wp_ss_20160815_0001.jpg

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I can testify to wonky brightness. On that note. I havent hard reset once yet since Threshold. So there is that too. I've been waiting for RS RTM or official release to go down that route. So keeping my fingers crossed for that. Lets see what happens. :/

-- W
My brightness fixed itself after 3 phone restarts:amaze:
Quick question: has someone figured out the settings for fixing the tethering/mobile hotspot feature on our phones?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
My brightness fixed itself after 3 phone restarts:amaze:
Quick question: has someone figured out the settings for fixing the tethering/mobile hotspot feature on our phones?

Darrell, I have instructions on the first page of this thread on how to enable hotspot. The Root Tool instructions are confirmed to work on my daily driver, but the WPH Tweaks have not. I can't try on my test phone because I don't have it hooked into a cell plan.

- RW

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Darrell, I have instructions on the first page of this thread on how to enable hotspot. The Root Tool instructions are confirmed to work on my daily driver, but the WPH Tweaks have not. I can't try on my test phone because I don't have it hooked into a cell plan.

- RW
Thx!!

Yes! It works; super; thanks RW!!!

Last edited:

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Alright it's time for an update. I received the Icon earlier today, and it's finally fully setup to use as my daily driver. I just finished flashing my SE back to stock 8.0. Overnight I will be upgrading to 8.1.1, the slowest way possible. Each time there's a device update, I will let all apps finish updating before installing the device update. Once I get to 8.1.1 (and everything has updated), I will do a hard reset. Then I will let everything update again. This is the state that my device will be in when I start further testing tomorrow. Looking forward to going back down the rabbit hole.

If you want to help with testing or if you are unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please make sure your device is in the same state as mine. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT IT WILL TAKE AN UNKNOWN AMOUNT OF TIME BEFORE I HAVE ANY TUTORIALS OR APPS FOR YOU TO TEST. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE EXPECTING TO HAVE SOMETHING TO TEST WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK. DO NOT DO THIS IF THE ATIV SE IS YOUR ONLY PHONE OR YOUR DAILY DRIVER. Whenever there is a mistake, or if something doesn't work, I have to go back to 8.0 and start again from scratch. That makes this a time-consuming project (thankfully most of that time is unattended installs/updates). Getting a new tutorial with or without a SecureBoot exploit can take anywhere from 2 days to 2 months. Use your own discretion.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys - is there any way to get 'Glance Screen' working on our Ativ SE? I like how it works on my Lumia 830; on our Samsung phones, when I 'wake it up' to see the lock screen, if I don't touch anything, after about 3 seconds, the screen dims for just another second or two. Is there some way to keep this 'dimmed' lock screen alive?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Okay guys, I now have Redstone on all my devices. If you follow my tutorial on the first page, you will end up getting Redstone now, build 14393.82. I'm updating my test phone to Redstone 2, build 14905.1000. I'm still on RP Ring on my daily driver and my wife's daily driver. My test phone is set to FR. I believe 10586 is now defunct. I will update it to reflect Redstone (1) and Redstone 2 but the only difference that I can see now is Redstone is on RPR and possibly SR and Redstone 2 is on FR.

Jeemo, any ideas on how we should proceed with our tutorials?

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys - is there any way to get 'Glance Screen' working on our Ativ SE? I like how it works on my Lumia 830; on our Samsung phones, when I 'wake it up' to see the lock screen, if I don't touch anything, after about 3 seconds, the screen dims for just another second or two. Is there some way to keep this 'dimmed' lock screen alive?

Did you try downloading it in the Store?

- RW

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Jeemo, any ideas on how we should proceed with our tutorials?

- RW

You'll have to decide that for yourself. My tutorial will be including things that people won't want to do if they just want to get stable redstone, and it's going to be a couple weeks before I get anything written.

Edit: Just read the new tutorial, looks great. Awesome organizing. Quick note, for the Windows 10 registry settings section, you should link to this as well:
https://mega.nz/#F!iZMhSSzI!sGQy4V12ubfvT8Abm2Uo1g (he updates that link to the new version when he updates)
Enable Developer Mode in settings, install the files in the arm dependencies folder 1 by 1 either on the phone or using Device Portal, install the main arm app. Blows away Root Tools and wphTweaks. I do understand that they already have those installed, but they should be using Interop Tools on 10.

Last edited:

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

Glance Screen (haven't tested myself, let us know):
[App][Source] DHT Upgrade Advisor (Get redstone on old lumias) - Post #191
I don't think the display type on the SE supports backlight to be controlled on individual pixels; it may use more battery.

Double Tap To Wake (also not tested by myself):
Windows phone 8, 8.1 & 10 registry hacks - Post #418

Lockscreen dim, not sure. I added it to my to do list though, i'll check it out when I get to deeper work

chuyim

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
newbie here. First thank you so much for the awesome tutorial.

I was able to update using the tutorial on 8/19. Then on 8/20, while I was on the road w/o access to a PC, another update came in and I installed it. This puts me on 14393.82. It is incredibly buggy but frequent reboot seemed to have eased it a bit. My question is that, ever since that update, my wphTweaks.xap has disappeared from the app list, even though it is still sitting in my SD card. What have I done wrong and how to get it back to work? Thanks!

chuyim

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
wphTweaks.xap has disappeared from app list after upgrade to 14393.82 build, even though the file is still showing in the SD root folder. Any idea?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
wphTweaks.xap has disappeared from app list after upgrade to 14393.82 build, even though the file is still showing in the SD root folder. Any idea?

Doesn't matter, don't need it anymore. Go to the settings and enable developer mode there, then install InteropTools if you want a registry editor:

https://mega.nz/#F!iZMhSSzI!sGQy4V12ubfvT8Abm2Uo1g

Install the dependencies in the arm folder first, then the main arm appxbundle

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
i don't know whats up with my ativ se. it gets hot really hot on nearly any build i update. windows camera app never works with flash, heavy heating while playing games, haptic feedback issue is still there(not an issue though). it is my daily driver but still battery drain is heavy and i don't wanna leave windows 10. any help?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
i don't know whats up with my ativ se. it gets hot really hot on nearly any build i update. windows camera app never works with flash, heavy heating while playing games, haptic feedback issue is still there(not an issue though). it is my daily driver but still battery drain is heavy and i don't wanna leave windows 10. any help?

Do a hard reset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss