New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

Erik Sg

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
So I decided to take the plunge and install W10 on my ATIV SE today. After reading through the guide I just wanted to double check that I'm doing this correctly since it's not clear at the beginning. I should be resetting my phone in the "Settings > About > reset your phone" menu, correct? I ask this because after reading the other guide here it says to use a different method to hard reset the phone.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello Jeemo;

Can you please give directions on how to install Interop tools?

Thank you

Sure! It's actually very easy if your phone is already running Windows 10.

The best and easiest method would be with Device Portal. You could do it on the phone, but then you don't see any errors or confirmation of success.

For Interop Tools, you have a choice between the current stable version, or the current beta version.
Current version: https://mega.nz/#F!iZMhSSzI!sGQy4V12ubfvT8Abm2Uo1g
Beta version (I haven't used it yet but I will be later tonight or tomorrow): [APP] Interop Tools - A versatile registry editor, registry browser, unlock and more! - Post #21

For the current version, download the file that ends with arm.appxbundle, as well as the Dependencies folder.
For the beta version, download the files that end with test.zip and arm.zip.

On the phone, go to Settings > Update & security > For developers.
Select Developer mode
Turn On both Device discovery and Device Portal.
For Device Portal, turn off Authentication to make it easier.
You could do the next steps via wifi, by going to the address listed there in a web browser on your computer. However, I prefer to connect my phone to the computer via USB. If you connect via USB, go to Mobile Nations in a web browser.
From this view, select Apps on the left menu. Now you'll see a section at the bottom titled "Install app".
Usually you can place all dependencies in the Dependency section, and that saves time. Unfortunately, I could not get that working on my phone. Instead, we'll install each dependency separately.
Click Browse under App package. Navigate to the Dependencies folder and then the arm folder (I'm not sure if the beta has that or not).
You need to choose one of the dependencies, press open, and then press Go under Deploy.
You need to do that with each of the files in that folder.
Then you install the appxbundle file the same way.

That's it! It's a wordy tutorial, but it's very simple.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Did it twice. Everything is messed. I m on 14905. But same issues were on other builds

You must have done something wrong, or it's a hardware issue. I just started fresh from 8.0, and followed rmabwing5's new tutorial up to step 15 (my tutorial forks off from there), and everything works great, including after a hard reset. The only thing I can suggest is to try again or wait for my updated method, unless you think it's a hardware problem.

chuy10

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello Jeemo; thank you for the tutorial....
Having some issues; when i click on mobile nations, I'm unable to connect:
"Unable to connect: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:10080"
Also tried to connect to the phone via wifi but no luck as well. what am i doing wrong?
Thanks for your help....

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello Jeemo; thank you for the tutorial....
Having some issues; when i click on mobile nations, I'm unable to connect:
"Unable to connect: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:10080"
Also tried to connect to the phone via wifi but no luck as well. what am i doing wrong?
Thanks for your help....

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong... If you have Device Discovery and Device Portal on you should be able to get to it at that address when it's plugged in via USB. Regardless, you can try installing on the phone. Put the arm.appxbundle and the arm dependencies on your phone or SD card, and then install them 1 by 1 by clicking them in File Explorer. Make sure you do the dependencies first, and that you wait at least 30 seconds between installs.

i rolled back to wp 8.0 did evrything again. now i am on .10586 build 107.

To get to 14393, just go to Settings > Update > Windows Insider Program > Enable, reboot, then make sure it's on Release Preview and not Slow/Fast.

chuy10

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I was able to install Interop tools. Thanks.
I'm currently on build 10586.545, what will be the way to go if I want my Ativ to update?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I was able to install Interop tools. Thanks.
I'm currently on build 10586.545, what will be the way to go if I want my Ativ to update?

As stated in my tutorial, make sure PhoneModelName is set to Lumia 929. I couldn't get past the 10586.xxx build until I did so, myself. If you want to go to Redstone 2, make sure you are on the Fast Ring in the Windows Insider under Settings.

- RW

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Did it twice. Everything is messed. I m on 14905. But same issues were on other builds
I've also had tons of trouble with 1607 14905.1. Things started off ok, but after a few days, at least 1/2 of my apps became unresponsive! I had to uninstall, and then reinstall them. Then the camera went wonky and started freezing and losing pics. I stood proudly in line at Starbucks with my swanky new app, and when I got to the counter, the stupid app crashed; very embarrassing!
I pulled out my SIM and SD cards and switched to my other Ativ SE: same thing!!! Apps crashing and freezing all over the place. I've gone back to my Lumia 830 so that I can at least function; i'm doing a reset on my Samsung phones; hope it helps!

Update: using this build on my Lumia 830 is almost as bad; my phone has randomly restarted 6 times today; apps are opening at least, but randomly freezing (especially Facebook). I think the problem is the build, not our Ativ SE phones....

Last edited:

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Did you guys try doing a hard reset on 14905 and starting fresh?

What about hard reset on 14393, start fresh, then update to 14905 and setup apps?

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

What about hard reset on 14393, start fresh, then update to 14905 and setup apps?

If u hard reset on .14905 then u lose microsoft sign in options. No way to get them back. One more thing, i have tried every build and i can confirm that .10586.107 is most stable one. Release preview. There is nothing much to brag about updating, i personally no did not find much feature in other updates. Just minor fixes which breaks more than fix things.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
If u hard reset on .14905 then u lose microsoft sign in options. No way to get them back. One more thing, i have tried every build and i can confirm that .10586.107 is most stable one. Release preview. There is nothing much to brag about updating, i personally no did not find much feature in other updates. Just minor fixes which breaks more than fix things.

Yea I assumed you'd lose system apps. That's usually the case on builds until it reaches RTM build. That's why I also suggested doing a hard reset on 14393 and starting fresh, then upgrading to 14905 before setting up your apps.

Also I'm going to have to disagree. 14393 is significantly more stable than 10586. In fact, the SE runs it better than the Icon.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

I did a hard reset, and my Store is all messed up; can't log in to see my Library. Going right back to the beginning again.....

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I did a hard reset, and my Store is all messed up; can't log in to see my Library. Going right back to the beginning again.....

Try doing a hard reset on 14393, starting fresh (don't restore backup), update to 14905, then install apps. That's what I did when RS1 first came out and all was fine.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Yea I assumed you'd lose system apps. That's usually the case on builds until it reaches RTM build. That's why I also suggested doing a hard reset on 14393 and starting fresh, then upgrading to 14905 before setting up your apps.

Also I'm going to have to disagree. 14393 is significantly more stable than 10586. In fact, the SE runs it better than the Icon.
I just got 14393.103 up and running and ALL my Microsoft apps are crashing: Money, Weather, News and Sports....all open for a second, and then crash. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled; no help. Everything else seems ok for now. Phone is just hot cause I'm syncing all my music/pics etc....

Sabir Nadaf

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I just got 14393.103 up and running and ALL my Microsoft apps are crashing: Money, Weather, News and Sports....all open for a second, and then crash. I've uninstalled and then reinstalled; no help. Everything else seems ok for now. Phone is just hot cause I'm syncing all my music/pics etc....

Had the same issue. Only way out is a hard reset.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
You guys are absolutely doing something wrong then. I tested this again last night. I started from scratch, then did a hard reset once i was on the latest 14393 build; I did NOT restore a backup. Then I updated to 14905. I'm putting my sim card in the SE today to try it out. So far, it's fantastic. It's smoother and faster than 14393. If you're having issues, it's user error.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney