New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Same thing with me! No carrier; actually...no nothing! I can't even unlock my lock screen; none of the numbers show up; can't get into my phone at all. What a mess.

I started over with 8.0 then proceeded to upgrade to 14393.189. Now I'm having problems with not being able get or send text messages. I've checked all my settings and all looks fine. My wife's phone is still on 14393.103 and has no problems with text messaging. Anyone else having problems with texting? Or does anyone know what the heck might be going on?

One more thing, my wife's phone is ready to install .189 but now I'm worried about that build. Please advise.

- RW

UPDATE: I contacted Tracfone and they mentioned my phone IMEI had been deactivated; don't know why. Anyway, they are sending me a new SIM card, which I was told, should fix my texting problems. Sounds like my SIM card went screwy. Funny thing is, I can still make and receive calls. I should have the new SIM in two business days. Will update how it went later.

- RW

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
wp_ss_20160924_0001.jpg

Can you help me Jeemo or RW: yesterday, I tried installing the latest Fast Ring update, and it made a total mess of my phone; the lock screen keypad is gone, so I can't get into it. So....I picked up my other phone, that had been idling on my shelf for the past 3 weeks or so, and I notice I've got 14915.1000 running on it. I haven't touched this phone for weeks; it was set for 'Fast Ring'; everything is running great; my Microsoft apps are now working great. Is this build the 'Fast Ring'? I quickly switched to 'Slow Ring', due to my experience yesterday with my other phone. I don't have the 'Preview Release' option on my Insider page, only 'Fast' and 'Slow'.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
.189 seems to be working fine for me RW. But its caused a host of smaller issues to crop up for me, primarily because I havent bothered hard resetting so far since working my way up from the Threshold days into the AU. Count that number of builds and you'd probably be expecting trouble anyways. So I'm pretty sure with a hard reset you'd have these issues pretty much fixed. :) For me, whatsapp stopped working. Skype takes forever launching, and a few other things. I'm just sitting on it because a hard reset is too much of a bother right now. And I'm hoping the next build fixes some of these issues at least. Without resorting to a hard reset.

-- W

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
.189 seems to be working fine for me RW. But its caused a host of smaller issues to crop up for me, primarily because I havent bothered hard resetting so far since working my way up from the Threshold days into the AU. Count that number of builds and you'd probably be expecting trouble anyways. So I'm pretty sure with a hard reset you'd have these issues pretty much fixed. :) For me, whatsapp stopped working. Skype takes forever launching, and a few other things. I'm just sitting on it because a hard reset is too much of a bother right now. And I'm hoping the next build fixes some of these issues at least. Without resorting to a hard reset.

-- W
Hey W: do you get random phone freezing and then restarts? At least once a day, usually when i'm viewing a web site in Edge, the page will freeze, then my phone crashes and restarts. Do you get this too?

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
No, not at all. Actually Darrell. But I do have other issues cropping up on it slowly which are making me think of a hard reset being in order soon, since the last couple of builds. I think its safe to say both of us need to hard reset at some point in the recent future. And that the fast ring is currently not advisable to us for going to as ATIV SE users, as chronicled by both you, and RW, amongst various others here. :(

-- W

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
On .221 my friends. Still not a single hard reset since I first dipped my toes into the Threshold, since before the AU. This build seems far more stable so far right now, keeping my fingers crossed, than the .189 build. Its only been a few hours, but lets hope and see if it keeps up with me that way friends. :)

-- W

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, my SE just started pulling .221.

Can't wait to see how stable it is compared to .189. Had a couple forced reboots when I had Edge open viewing a web page, so don't know if that was due to Edge or something else.

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Experts!

Noob here. I'm coming from Android and having done many flashes in that space. The last windows phone I had was on Sprint when NRGZ made all those great custom roms.

The guide you put together here is awesome. Well done. Thanks for doing that.

In short, I'm tired of all the Android issues and love how simple Windows Mobile is. It seems to be much more stable. I purchased an ATIV SE for me and my wife to use and we love them. But we are not on Verizon and I'm afraid I need a little expert help.

When I follow the list, I get down to step 8d. When I deploy the SAMWPSYSTEM.xap file I get an error saying Unauthorized. Then it prompts me to sign into my MS account. But I am signed in already. The only thing I've been able to do was I found another file called CustomWPSystem0007 (guessing file name as I'm at work and the files are on my W10 PC at home) and deployed it successfully.

What should I do to resolve this file issue?

When I continue on and open the CustomWPSystem app, I never see "AdditionalCallSettings" in step 13e. I'm not sure what to do from there. This is where I am frozen and not knowing what else to do.

In the end, all I want to do is to stay with 8.1 for now and be able to change my MMS settings so MMS will work. And tethering would be nice.

Can someone help guide me? Are there certain steps I should not have performed since I'm staying with 8.1 for now? What mistakes have I made? Etc...

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi Experts!

Noob here. I'm coming from Android and having done many flashes in that space. The last windows phone I had was on Sprint when NRGZ made all those great custom roms.

The guide you put together here is awesome. Well done. Thanks for doing that.

In short, I'm tired of all the Android issues and love how simple Windows Mobile is. It seems to be much more stable. I purchased an ATIV SE for me and my wife to use and we love them. But we are not on Verizon and I'm afraid I need a little expert help.

When I follow the list, I get down to step 8d. When I deploy the SAMWPSYSTEM.xap file I get an error saying Unauthorized. Then it prompts me to sign into my MS account. But I am signed in already. The only thing I've been able to do was I found another file called CustomWPSystem0007 (guessing file name as I'm at work and the files are on my W10 PC at home) and deployed it successfully.

What should I do to resolve this file issue?

When I continue on and open the CustomWPSystem app, I never see "AdditionalCallSettings" in step 13e. I'm not sure what to do from there. This is where I am frozen and not knowing what else to do.

In the end, all I want to do is to stay with 8.1 for now and be able to change my MMS settings so MMS will work. And tethering would be nice.

Can someone help guide me? Are there certain steps I should not have performed since I'm staying with 8.1 for now? What mistakes have I made? Etc...

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

I tried again last night to no avail. I've read this entire thread. I'm still missing something or not understanding something.

Braveheart7,

First let me ask a question. Are you following step 7 first? You need your phone registered as a development phone through your Microsoft account. Let's assume, since you're on step 8, that you did number 7. First of all, your phone will need to be on the start screen. Second, you do have to log in to your Microsoft account if you hadn't done so. Also, if you couldn't get samwpsystem.xap to deploy you won't be able to use customwpsystem. They are both needed for the upgrade to work properly. My advice is to try again from scratch; you may need to perform a hard reset (maybe not if you are on the latest version of 8.1 still). If it still fails, hold off a bit; Jeemo is working on a solution for all of us to upgrade a lot easier from 8.1. His greatness will also allow those of us already running 10 to greatly improve our functionality and logic within the Windows Mobile environment. Beyond that, without following your every step, I'm not sure what else to do. The only other thing I can think of is maybe Microsoft changed things (again) to make it harder for those who do not have approved phones to upgrade to Win 10 M.

Jeemo,

Any suggestions for Braveheart7?

- RW

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for responding. Step 7 was successful for me. I was able to register, sign in to my ms account, and to get a message saying the phone was unlocked.

At the moment, I'm not trying to upgrade to 10. I'm fine with 8.1. I just need to be able to edit the MMS settings for my wife. That's part of my confusion. I don't know if I should do all the steps all the way to step 18 and stop or skip some of the steps.

I am on the latest version of 8.1. Are you saying I need to go back to 8.0?

Thanks!

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for responding. Step 7 was successful for me. I was able to register, sign in to my ms account, and to get a message saying the phone was unlocked.

At the moment, I'm not trying to upgrade to 10. I'm fine with 8.1. I just need to be able to edit the MMS settings for my wife. That's part of my confusion. I don't know if I should do all the steps all the way to step 18 and stop or skip some of the steps.

I am on the latest version of 8.1. Are you saying I need to go back to 8.0?

Thanks!

You shouldn't have to go back to 8.0. What MMS settings are you trying to edit? Also, if you follow the steps, and are successful, your phone will update to Win 10 Mobile; and by all means DO NOT skip steps. I don't know what that would do to your phone. One more thing, MMS should still work under 8.1 without modding. At least I don't know of a reason why it wouldn't.

- RW

Also, as a side note. This thread is specifically for updating to Win10M. Did you search for a thread specific to MMS on 8.1?

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
OK. I won't go back to 8.0. Sorry. I meant to say MMS APN settings. Verizon hid them. And I need to be able to get to them so I can configure the MMS.

Yes. I searched all over for threads with MMS and 8.1. Every single thing I've tried hasn't worked. And I'm very thorough. I work in IT. And I've flashed/jailbreaked/rooted over 100 phones.

I understand the thread is for Win10. And I'm not opposed to that. but I need to get the MMS working on 8.1 first so my wife will agree to using the phone. Then I'm sure she won't mind going to 10. We love the phone and want to stick with it. All her friends use MMS. So that is a deal breaker for her.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
OK. I won't go back to 8.0. Sorry. I meant to say MMS APN settings. Verizon hid them. And I need to be able to get to them so I can configure the MMS.

Yes. I searched all over for threads with MMS and 8.1. Every single thing I've tried hasn't worked. And I'm very thorough. I work in IT. And I've flashed/jailbreaked/rooted over 100 phones.

I understand the thread is for Win10. And I'm not opposed to that. but I need to get the MMS working on 8.1 first so my wife will agree to using the phone. Then I'm sure she won't mind going to 10. We love the phone and want to stick with it. All her friends use MMS. So that is a deal breaker for her.

Honestly, your best bet is to follow through with the Win 10 M upgrade. Follow the instructions to the letter and you really shouldn't have a problem unless, like I said before, MS did something to mess with us again. MMS settings are an integral part of Win 10 M. APN settings are an integral part of Win 10 M also and should, by default, set themselves. I use TracFone but my service is routed through Verizon; so I'm at least 90% sure this should be the same for a Verizon customer also. Let us know how it goes.

- RW

ps. Couple of after-thoughts. Win 10 M is far better than Win 8.1; ask anyone on here. Also, ahhh.....I forgot what the other one was....lol. If I think of it, I will let you know.

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I took your advice and decided to go for Win10. I started over from scratch. I downloaded all the files again using the download link you provided. I reset the phone and verified it is 8.10.14203.306. No app updates. No verizon sign in. etc... But I still have the same problem deploying samWPSystem.xap. I've followed the instructions to the letter. When I try to deploy samWPSystem.xap I get the attached error. error.PNG

Any ideas now? Has anyone gone through the process lately like I have?

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I took your advice and decided to go for Win10. I started over from scratch. I downloaded all the files again using the download link you provided. I reset the phone and verified it is 8.10.14203.306. No app updates. No verizon sign in. etc... But I still have the same problem deploying samWPSystem.xap. I've followed the instructions to the letter. When I try to deploy samWPSystem.xap I get the attached error. View attachment 130936

Any ideas now? Has anyone gone through the process lately like I have?

I have another question; are you trying to deploy the samWPSystem.xap file straight from the .zip folder, or did you extract it then use the file from the extracted files? I will try the upgrade again on my test phone and see what happens. I'll let you know.

- RW

Braveheart7

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I extracted the 4pa.zip file to my c:\ drive. I then deployed the samWPSystem.xap file from there after it had been extracted. You can see that in the screenshot above.

I am using Windows 10 on my pc. I downloaded the files twice from 2 different connections and computers and compared the checksums which were identical.

One thing of note... When my phone got updated to 8.10.14203.306 and rebooted, another small update was pushed. This update did not change the version. I'm not sure what that was.

And another thing... I tried on 2 ATIV SE's. Both of which work fine on Straight Talk Verizon plan and Straight Talk AT&T plan except for MMS.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)