New and Improved Update Guide for Upgrading the Samsung ATIV SE to Win 10?

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, I can report back with the stellar battery figures too. I'm getting similar uptime of two plus days as RW with my gradually reducing usage of phones. And this is without any hard resets at all whatsoever, since even the first 10586 upgrade/install on it. Tell us how it goes with the guide RW my friend. :)

-- W

Well, I never was successful at installing 14965 on my test phone. Right now it's downloading 14977.1000. Not sure how it's going to go, but we'll see. Then I need to reset it to Windows 8.0 to test my guide. I need to see if everything still work

@Brad I'll let you know.

- RW

Well, the latest is, my test phone was downloading 14977.1000 and, low-and-behold, it stuck at 56%, but I also didn't have it plugged in and it killed the battery really quick. So, I'm taking this opportunity to try the aforementioned for Brad Herr. Will update shortly.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
@Brad Herr

Brad, I just went through the whole guide and had no real problems. I did have a slight glitch where I had to update all the apps in Win 8.1 before Windows Insider would even download. My updates still worked. I may update the guide and not have people stop the app upgrades. Doesn't seem to matter. Anyway, try again. Go ahead and update the apps under 8.1 and see if it helps at all. Not sure what is going on with your phone.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
So, after going through the testing of Brad Herr's problem and not being able to duplicate it, I decided to put my Insider Preview to Slow ring. It still gets hung up trying to download 14965.1001. Hell, at this rate I'm not going to be able to get any further than 14393.479 Release Preview. Anyone else having these download problems still? Fast ring does the same thing.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm on my third SIM card. Texting works fine under 8.1 but then I upgrade to 10 and it stops working. My wife's phone runs the same version of 10 and her texting works fine. Any idea's?

- RW

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
No issues with texting on latest Insider Preview Build, however, about two builds ago, my GPS stopped working completely. My Maps app and Google.com keep telling me to turn on location services but they are already on. Has anyone run into this and is there a fix for it?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm not seeing any of the issues either you or RW have been having. Which is really strange, because the phone for me gets better with each update, not worse. Of late anyways. :) Except for the abysmal loading screens on whatsapp. -__- And also, have you tried going over the SMS registries RW? Maybe that might lead to some pointers friend. And also, I've never put my ATIV SE on Fast Insider since its always been my daily. So I have no clue why the updates are stalling, but its possible that with the later releases, these issues might be patched because a while ago insiders on fast were having issues upgrading. If I recall correctly. So fingers crossed friend. :)

-- W

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm on my third SIM card. Texting works fine under 8.1 but then I upgrade to 10 and it stops working. My wife's phone runs the same version of 10 and her texting works fine. Any idea's?

- RW

No issues with texting on latest Insider Preview Build, however, about two builds ago, my GPS stopped working completely. My Maps app and Google.com keep telling me to turn on location services but they are already on. Has anyone run into this and is there a fix for it?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

I'm not seeing any of the issues either you or RW have been having. Which is really strange, because the phone for me gets better with each update, not worse. Of late anyways. :) Except for the abysmal loading screens on whatsapp. -__- And also, have you tried going over the SMS registries RW? Maybe that might lead to some pointers friend. And also, I've never put my ATIV SE on Fast Insider since its always been my daily. So I have no clue why the updates are stalling, but its possible that with the later releases, these issues might be patched because a while ago insiders on fast were having issues upgrading. If I recall correctly. So fingers crossed friend. :)

-- W

Okay guys, I got pissed off because I couldn't figure out why the hell my texting doesn't work on Win 10 Mobile (It used to, by the way; I forgot to mention this earlier) so I did a hard reset. It seems to have done the trick. My phone reset to build 14393.67 and texting seems to work fine now. My Insider sign-in signed out and I no longer am on it with this phone. I may start it again to see what happens but I need this phone's texting to work so I'm a little apprehensive.

On a side note; my test phone was finally able to upgrade to the latest Fast Ring build with no problems. It seems so far to be quite decent. I don't know if texting works or not because I don't have it set up with a SIM card so I have no service on it. But, when I tried my SIM card in it, before the latest build, it wouldn't text. I don't really care at this point because I'm not going to put a SIM card in it just to try texting.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Okay All,

I just reset my test phone. Here's the kicker; I can't find Windows Insider in the store for Win 8.1 anymore. I think MS pulled it. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas, let me know.

- RW

Dieselrod1

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
I had to flash back to 8.0 two weeks ago. I used the guide to return to preview 14393. Maybe try again?
Okay All,

I just reset my test phone. Here's the kicker; I can't find Windows Insider in the store for Win 8.1 anymore. I think MS pulled it. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas, let me know.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I had to flash back to 8.0 two weeks ago. I used the guide to return to preview 14393. Maybe try again?

I actually did the same on my daily about two weeks ago, also. But for some reason, a couple of days ago, I can't find WI. Maybe I'll try resetting the phone and see what happens.

UPDATE: Just checked again for WI; it is there. Not sure why it wasn't showing up for two days, at least for me.

- RW

Last edited:

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I actually did the same on my daily about two weeks ago, also. But for some reason, a couple of days ago, I can't find WI. Maybe I'll try resetting the phone and see what happens.

UPDATE: Just checked again for WI; it is there. Not sure why it wasn't showing up for two days, at least for me.

- RW

Okay, so I was able to upgrade my daily to Release Preview; but only after doing a hard reset. As a side note, I was able to log into my MS account; unlike in the past when doing a hard reset. So, I am running the latest RP update. On my test phone I reset it back to 8.0 then upgraded. I got to 14393 but for some reason I couldn't get it to fully download 15007. A thought struck me; I did a hard reset, and low and behold, 15007 downloaded and updated to the phone. It still took some time; I'm thinking it is due to skipping a bunch of prior updates (it went from 14393 right to 15007). So now I'm checking things out with this build. So far it seems to be good, except battery life. It drained from full to nothing in about seven hours with very little usage. In fact it was still at least 95 percent full when I put it down about six hours ago. Only the default apps that run in the background were running. I went to look at it just now and it was dead. Other than that all seems okay.

- RW

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Are there still people running the ATIV SE out there? And if so, are you still actively updating? If not I will close this thread to any other posts. Let me know.

- RW

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I still have my ATIV SE and will be using it until a viable new Windows Phone alternative comes to Verizon. I'm on version 14393.693 and all seems to be working well. My Navigation seems to be working again also :)

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Okay, so I was able to upgrade my daily to Release Preview; but only after doing a hard reset. As a side note, I was able to log into my MS account; unlike in the past when doing a hard reset. So, I am running the latest RP update. On my test phone I reset it back to 8.0 then upgraded. I got to 14393 but for some reason I couldn't get it to fully download 15007. A thought struck me; I did a hard reset, and low and behold, 15007 downloaded and updated to the phone. It still took some time; I'm thinking it is due to skipping a bunch of prior updates (it went from 14393 right to 15007). So now I'm checking things out with this build. So far it seems to be good, except battery life. It drained from full to nothing in about seven hours with very little usage. In fact it was still at least 95 percent full when I put it down about six hours ago. Only the default apps that run in the background were running. I went to look at it just now and it was dead. Other than that all seems okay.

- RW

UPDATE: I've had my test phone on all night and day up to now (it's still on as I write this); the battery life seems to be okay now. Still 88% with 1 day 12 hours left. Haven't done anything with it except delete my emails off of it and check battery life. Don't know why it died so quickly yesterday. Maybe just needed time to settle in.

- RW

acmecomp

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
During VS 2015 installation, I do not see the tick box for Win 8.1 phone dev tools. Also, where can I find the .xap files? When I click on the link in a related post, it's forwarded to OneDrive.

rmabwing5

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
During VS 2015 installation, I do not see the tick box for Win 8.1 phone dev tools. Also, where can I find the .xap files? When I click on the link in a related post, it's forwarded to OneDrive.

Firstly, I can't remember if there is a tick box for Win 8.1 when installing VS 2015; it may just get installed, not sure though. Secondly, what link in what related post are you talking about? All files needed are linked to a public folder in my Drop Box account. That link is in the very beginning of this thread.

- RW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven