Ativ Tab 3 owner issue (repeat problem)

amsats

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I am writing regarding a Samsung Ativ Tab 3 that I recently bought. This is my first thread on this forum, so please excuse any etiquette that I have not followed.

The item was purchased from Carrefour, Marina Mall (Abu Dhabi) on 26-September-13. Model no. is XE300TZC-K01AE, which is not available in the model selection drop down list on the regional Samsung website. The tab was working fine and I was able to use all software I intended to very well. On 3-October-13 morning, I noticed that the screen was frozen and not unlocking when pressing the power button. After pressing the Windows button below the screen, the login screen came up and I was able to log in to Windows. On the home page, noticed that battery was at 0%, although there was about 45% charge around 7 hours back. I connected the charger, but the battery was drained by then and the device powered down. Though the charger was connected, the blue light was not on and also the device was not powering up. The charger was kept connected till 4 PM, but the device was still not powering up. I then took the device to Carrefour and left it there for an hour for them to troubleshoot. But there was no result and they told me to take the device directly to a service center. I asked them for a replacement, but as I did not have the original packing, I was denied this (receipt for purchase was available). Also, they only had the display piece at that time.

I called up the Samsung Toll Free number, and the agent have me the names of three service centers , but I was unable to contact them on 3-Oct, as it was past working hours.

When I contacted the Samsung Toll Free number on Saturday to get the service center number, they surprising told me the first three centers do not service the Ativ Tab 3 and I would have to wait for them to let me know which is the correct service center, which was most unexpected from a company like Samsung. After few hours, they called back and gave me the number of Emitac. I contacted Emitac on 6-Oct (Sunday) but they surprisingly told me they don't support this product! This was really frustrating now and after several calls back and forth to the toll free number, they finally told me I could give the device to Emitac. I took the device immediately and they accepted it and gave me the job card for this. After several follow up calls(as the problem appeared to be major and I wanted a replacement), the service center told me they will arrange a spare part from Samsung (device was sent to Dubai from Abu Dhabi). Again after several follow up calls, the spare was sent to Emitac Dubai from Samsung and the device was repaired and I collected the same on Thursday, 10-Oct.

The device was working absolutely fine again, till 3 hours back. Again, the device froze and power key was not working and Windows button was used to unlock the screen after several attempts. Battery was showing 0% despite having 78% charge just fifteen minutes previously. On connecting the charger, battery charge was still at 0% but not increasing. Luckily this time the device did not shut down, but after 3 hrs of connecting the charger, battery has still been at 0%.

I had called up the Toll Free number sometime back but iwas again instructed to give the device to a service center. I had made it clear that I need this device to be replaced, as it is impossible for a device to fail so often. I do not want to spend time taking this device back and forth and facing the same result. The call center agent was clearly unwilling to listen and said I will have to approach a service enter and the decision to replace this will depend on the service center report. I feel there is a problem with this device as it is unavailable at all retailers in Abu Dhabi. Eros and Plug Ins have no idea of such a device, Carrefour do not have stock and are unsure when they will get the next batch, while Sharif DG say if we pay for it, they can arrange the device in two days time, though it is advertised in their booklet.

I am really not sure how to solve this problem. Any suggestions are welcome, as I don't want to give this device for repair again without having a clear picture from Samsung.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral.

I am sorry to hear you are having so many repeat problems with your Ativ Tab 3.

Perhaps you will get better results from Samsung if you email the President. Sometimes taking an issue up with a higher level will get a company to resolve problems quicker and better.

edwinhk

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
My name is Isaac, and I am from Hong Kong,
I experienced the same situation twice.
Once I bought it from the seller and went back to home, The tablet could not turn on after window installation and testing.
I went back to seller, they immediately replace me with a new ATIV tab3.

After I have been using it for 1.5 month. I experienced the same situation as you described. The battery status is shown empty and the on/off function is gone.
I think this is a fatal problem. We have to accept the fate of repair again,repair again,repair again.............

RoyceRose

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
My problem with the ATIV Tab 3 is repetitive but a different problem. I purchased online the first of October 2013. In the past 3 1/2 months I have had to ask for assistance from Samsung 5 times. The initial issue was that I attempted to update to Windows 8.1. This was suggested to me from Windows through an email. After updating, I turned the and it no longer had internet connection or keyboard connection. First solution was to reset. This did not work. Then refresh. This did not work. Then they had me send the unit to a service center. The unit was "repaired" and put back to Win 8. Within a month the problem resurfaced. No internet or Bluetooth connection. Solution from Samsung, refresh. Of course, every time the unit is refreshed or reset, all the programs must be reloaded. With Norton, Office, search engine, drop box, the process takes 2 to 3 days. The next problems surfaced with a normal Windows update that was automatic. After two days of letting it run, I finally tried to reboot. That was not possible. After two levels of discussion on the phone with Samsung, it was concluded that it must be sent in again for repair. I just received the unit back early this week and have loaded some of the programs back on the unit. This morning, there was no wireless service (even though I have it on two other computers in the house and two cell phones). So I did an update/restart. It began a windows update and is now showing a failure to update and has been hung in that position for four hours.

I am convinced that the Samsung ATIV Tab 3 is a failed product and I am stuck with a $700 white paperweight that looks like a tablet. Over the four months I have had the product, I have lost over 28 days of productivity. Not a very good investment. It is difficult to tell if this is a windows 8 problem or a Samsung problem...but it is definitely a problem.

Steve Siva

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I'm not sure if you managed to get this problem resolved, but I'm facing pretty much the same thing - every now and then the battery just indicates 0%, whether I'm charging with the device shutdown or turned on. Why I say "every now and then" is because I recently discovered that, if I use the device (despite it showing 0%) until it completely drains out the battery (till it can't be turned on), and then I plug in the power, the battery meter starts working again indicating the charge status... and then after a few days it goes back showing 0%... and so it repeats.
It's really annoying. I brought the tablet to Samsung and they're suggesting it's due to the firmware/BIOS as, according to them, I had apparently updated the Windows to version 8.1 (stock was 8.0). I'm going to get Samsung to try and put back the stock Windows again thus reverting to the earlier firmware, but not sure if it will help, looking at this thread, and that worries me :eck:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss