01-11-2007 04:34 PM
49 12
tools
    is there an app that lets the LED flash with missed calls, emails, etc?
    No LED, which is fine for me since I used Butler and turned the LED off on the 650 anyway. I found it annoying, especially in low lighting to have the LED flashing away like some possesed one-eyed alien sitting on my hip. I have several homescreens loaded on the blackjack and switch them around as the mood shifts, University of Kentucky for college basketball, Redskins for Sundays, USC for the Rose Bowl, the list is quite extensive, several TV shows (24 of course) and other themes.
    12-18-2006 10:58 AM
    Some pictures, as requested (not the best - but something nonetheless)...

Blackjack face-to-face Treo 650 - pic 1

Blackjack on top of Treo 650

Blackjack side-by-side Treo 650 - pic 1

Blackjack side-by-side Treo 650 - pic 2

Blackjack side-by-side Treo 650 - pic 3

Again, astonishing how thin the Blackjack really is....and realizing that the forthcoming 750 is only a hair thinner than the 650.

Also, in case you want to compare the specs, here is a link to Blackjack vs. Treo 650 specifications ... http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/com...%5D=&id%5B%5D=

Last edited by mrjasjit; 12-18-2006 at 11:24 PM.
    12-18-2006 11:16 PM
    12-26-2006 05:48 PM
    Please don't be offended, but I couldn't help saying what I noted here in your post. This pic gives new meaning to the term "phone sex."

Some pictures, as requested (not the best - but something nonetheless)...

Blackjack face-to-face Treo 650 - pic 1
    01-01-2007 11:42 PM
    how is the web browsing experience on the blackjack compared to blazer?

any faster or more streamlined?
    01-02-2007 02:35 AM
    Unlike blazer, sites on the Blackjack's browser actually look the way they should, though the browser is still pretty limited. If choosing between the two browsers I would choose the Internet Explorer on the Blackjack every time.
    01-02-2007 06:02 AM
    Unlike blazer, sites on the Blackjack's browser actually look the way they should, though the browser is still pretty limited. If choosing between the two browsers I would choose the Internet Explorer on the Blackjack every time.
    I agree, using IE is much better!

01-02-2007 07:59 AM
    Please don't be offended, but I couldn't help saying what I noted here in your post. This pic gives new meaning to the term "phone sex."
    hahaha....indeed!

The thinness of the Blackjack still blows people away! And of course I love it because it slips right into my pocket.
    01-02-2007 08:03 AM
    It's funny how the Treo looks so overweight compared to the BlackJack and the Dash. I took these pics of my Dash and the Treo 680.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2006/12/t-...ody-shots.html

It feels good slipping a smartphone into your pocket and not noticing it.
    01-02-2007 10:29 AM
    How can they (Samsung) make BlackJack much thinner? Is it the battery? I wonder if the Treo can be made as thin and pack the same punch and screen size?

hahaha....indeed!

The thinness of the Blackjack still blows people away! And of course I love it because it slips right into my pocket.
    01-02-2007 06:01 PM
    I'd be happy to keep the Treo the same size if they would manage to fit a screen in it with 320 width resolution.
    01-02-2007 07:26 PM
    How can they (Samsung) make BlackJack much thinner? Is it the battery?
    Partly the battery and partly the screen - the BlackJack's non-touch screen is thinner with fewer associated electronics.
    01-03-2007 07:16 AM
    It's mostly due to the non-touch screen. A touch screen requires more power ie. a bigger battery is necessary. This is why the Dash, Q, and BlackJack can be thin. Palm could make a Treo as thin as the above devices if they somehow port Garnet to non-touchscreen hardware. I think Palm would sell tons of Treos if they took the approach of WM5 Smartphone (no touchscreen) and made a Treo like this. The Treo is already pretty much not dependent on a touchscreen with the way they've implemented one handed nav., but some people just love those touschscreens.

I would love a Treo in the form factor of the Dash with no touchscreen running Palm OS smartphone edition. I can dream:)
    01-03-2007 09:55 AM
    Beside being thinner and generally worse battery life, it seems WM Smartphones have significantly slower processors than WM PPC devices. Does the operating system really require less power? Or are manufacturers/carriers assuming that smartphone users put less "stress" on their machines than PPC users? I've always assumed that the functionality of both op systems is roughly the same. Does the user notice a difference performing the same task on either device due to the slower processor?
    01-03-2007 10:29 AM
    I haven't noticed any slow downs with the 200mhz processor my Dash has. In fact I find the Dash with it's 200mhz omap processor is faster than my 700wx (312 mhz intel) to perform the same tasks. Battery life on the Dash is also better than my 700wx with it's 2400 mah seidio battery, the Dash has a 960mah. I can't explain why, but the Dash gets much better battery life even having wifi and bt on.
    01-03-2007 11:33 AM
    I haven't noticed any slow downs with the 200mhz processor my Dash has. In fact I find the Dash with it's 200mhz omap processor is faster than my 700wx (312 mhz intel) to perform the same tasks. Battery life on the Dash is also better than my 700wx with it's 2400 mah seidio battery, the Dash has a 960mah. I can't explain why, but the Dash gets much better battery life even having wifi and bt on.
    Thanks Jimmie. I'm considering switching from the wx to the Blackjack. Am I accurate in assuming that everything that can be done on the wx (WM PPC) can be done on the BJ (WM Smartphone)? I've read that copy/paste isn't there or isn't as elegant, but I can live with that if it's the only significant fuctionality loss. Thanks!
    01-03-2007 11:39 AM
    Yea no copy and paste out of the box. You can download a free program called Vito copyPaste
    http://www.vitotechnology.com/en/pro...copypaste.html

I didn't feel like I was losing anything by going to the smartphone OS, I mean it does practically everything WM5 ppc does minus the touchscreen, office apps (you get office viewers). I am very happy with my Dash and haven't looked back. Don't get me wrong I still really like my 700wx, and my 700p, but am loving the Dash for now,lol. Sometimes less is more, especially in terms of size. I love having a thin/small smartphone.
    01-03-2007 02:33 PM
    ^what he said

:)
    01-04-2007 06:41 AM
    [QUOTE=JimmieGeddes;1163375]Yea no copy and paste out of the box. You can download a free program called Vito copyPaste
    http://www.vitotechnology.com/en/pro...copypaste.html

i succesfully installed this app (in the windows folder) and activated it, but can't make it work. i read the instructions to hold down the center of the five way navigation button, but that does nothing but activate how that button would normally function. am i missing something?

also, does this program work in all applications (i.e., email, sms, notes, tasks, internet explorer, etc.)?

thanks
    Last edited by ghileman; 01-05-2007 at 08:31 PM.
    01-04-2007 11:04 PM
    So the 750 is due out next week....oh boy...decisions decisions!

Super-slim Samsung vs. Super-brick Treo.

:mad: My 30-days with the Samsung are up on the 13th - dangit!

Best part: I have the data cables, car chargers, and additional wall chargers already for Samsungs (Blackjack and 2 a707s (mom & dad).

Last edited by mrjasjit; 01-05-2007 at 07:59 AM.
    01-05-2007 07:40 AM
    So I posted in the following thread the links to get Google Maps and Gmail working on the Blackjack.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=41

Didn't want to completely double/triple post so the link is provided instead.

I am keeping the Blackjack - no 750 for me.

01-08-2007 12:13 PM
    I use the Q and totally agree with Jimmie - you don't miss the touchscreen. Not only does the nontouch screen allow the phone to be thinner, it also allows it to be rugged. Compared with my Treos, the screen on the Q feels bulletproof, and looks great. I assume the Blackjack and Dash screens are the same...
    01-08-2007 06:10 PM
    Compared with my Treos, the screen on the Q feels bulletproof, and looks great. I assume the Blackjack and Dash screens are the same...
    Yes - looks great.

Not sure about the bulletproof part :D - but that would be nice. Use it for self-defense and all - kind of like that old sprint commercial where the guy says his phone also has theft-deterrence, then proceeds to hit the other guy on the head with the phone! :D

01-08-2007 07:02 PM
    Is there a spell check on this device? When I'm typing an email on my 8525 it's listed under the "menu" softkey. I can't find it on the Blackjack.
    01-11-2007 04:34 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD