Blackjack review - a user's viewpoint

fkjr2

Feb 12, 2005
Visit site
Unlock is an easy one-handed operation. Hold device in left hand use thumb to press the power key (top left corner) use thumb to tap the unlock key (center of phone left side about mid palm level) then thumb to press "*" key (left center bottom of phone just above little finger).

For missed calls I downloaded homescreens from http://www.motosmartzone.com/ (select Q homescreens on left pane)
these homescreens will pop up a missed call screen with the number or missed calls as soon as the power button is activated (if locked) or automatically if unlocked.

If that is the only drawback you have, try those homescreens before you give up on the device.

is there an app that lets the LED flash with missed calls, emails, etc?

mrjasjit

May 13, 2006
Visit site
I just installed the program...so far so good.

Have Line 1 set for Digital Clock @ 100 pixels.
Have Line 2 set for Date @ 90 pixels.

As far as holsters - I have cargo pants with a zippered semi-padded pocket on the right leg. I have a couple pairs and that pocket had been reserved for the Treo 650. It now will be carrying the BJack - though I'll be using a sleeve of sorts until I'm absolutely sure I'm keeping it.

(Heck, all this talk about keeping it or not - I've recently realized - like 2 days ago - that I'm a tech junkie. So keeping this thing and getting the 750 is likely.

Update:

Line 3 is set for Missed Calls and Messages @ 30 pixels.

So far so good - haven't needed to activate the device keyguard (where you are forced to use the top on/off button!!!

cardio

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
is there an app that lets the LED flash with missed calls, emails, etc?

No LED, which is fine for me since I used Butler and turned the LED off on the 650 anyway. I found it annoying, especially in low lighting to have the LED flashing away like some possesed one-eyed alien sitting on my hip. I have several homescreens loaded on the blackjack and switch them around as the mood shifts, University of Kentucky for college basketball, Redskins for Sundays, USC for the Rose Bowl, the list is quite extensive, several TV shows (24 of course) and other themes.

mrjasjit

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Blackjack vs. Treo 650 pictures

Some pictures, as requested (not the best - but something nonetheless)...

Face-to-Face-small.jpg

Blackjack face-to-face Treo 650 - pic 1

On-Top-small.jpg

Blackjack on top of Treo 650

Side-by-Side-small.jpg

Blackjack side-by-side Treo 650 - pic 1

Side-by-Side-2-small.jpg

Blackjack side-by-side Treo 650 - pic 2

Side-by-Side-3-small.jpg

Blackjack side-by-side Treo 650 - pic 3

Again, astonishing how thin the Blackjack really is....and realizing that the forthcoming 750 is only a hair thinner than the 650.

Also, in case you want to compare the specs, here is a link to Blackjack vs. Treo 650 specifications ... http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id[]=1066&id[]=638&id[]=&id[]=&id[]=

Last edited:

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
the lighter side of things......

Please don't be offended, but I couldn't help saying what I noted here in your post. This pic gives new meaning to the term "phone sex."

Some pictures, as requested (not the best - but something nonetheless)...

Face-to-Face-small.jpg

Blackjack face-to-face Treo 650 - pic 1

Silver5

May 2, 2004
Visit site
Unlike blazer, sites on the Blackjack's browser actually look the way they should, though the browser is still pretty limited. If choosing between the two browsers I would choose the Internet Explorer on the Blackjack every time.

mrjasjit

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Unlike blazer, sites on the Blackjack's browser actually look the way they should, though the browser is still pretty limited. If choosing between the two browsers I would choose the Internet Explorer on the Blackjack every time.

I agree, using IE is much better!

mrjasjit

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Please don't be offended, but I couldn't help saying what I noted here in your post. This pic gives new meaning to the term "phone sex."

hahaha....indeed!

The thinness of the Blackjack still blows people away! And of course I love it because it slips right into my pocket.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
How can they (Samsung) make BlackJack much thinner? Is it the battery? I wonder if the Treo can be made as thin and pack the same punch and screen size?

hahaha....indeed!

The thinness of the Blackjack still blows people away! And of course I love it because it slips right into my pocket.

jimmiegeddes

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
It's mostly due to the non-touch screen. A touch screen requires more power ie. a bigger battery is necessary. This is why the Dash, Q, and BlackJack can be thin. Palm could make a Treo as thin as the above devices if they somehow port Garnet to non-touchscreen hardware. I think Palm would sell tons of Treos if they took the approach of WM5 Smartphone (no touchscreen) and made a Treo like this. The Treo is already pretty much not dependent on a touchscreen with the way they've implemented one handed nav., but some people just love those touschscreens.

I would love a Treo in the form factor of the Dash with no touchscreen running Palm OS smartphone edition. I can dream:)

BrotherNov

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
Beside being thinner and generally worse battery life, it seems WM Smartphones have significantly slower processors than WM PPC devices. Does the operating system really require less power? Or are manufacturers/carriers assuming that smartphone users put less "stress" on their machines than PPC users? I've always assumed that the functionality of both op systems is roughly the same. Does the user notice a difference performing the same task on either device due to the slower processor?

jimmiegeddes

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
I haven't noticed any slow downs with the 200mhz processor my Dash has. In fact I find the Dash with it's 200mhz omap processor is faster than my 700wx (312 mhz intel) to perform the same tasks. Battery life on the Dash is also better than my 700wx with it's 2400 mah seidio battery, the Dash has a 960mah. I can't explain why, but the Dash gets much better battery life even having wifi and bt on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos