EPIX Tips and Tricks

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
Figure every phone discussion needs a thread like this. I don't have one to offer at the moment but I'd like to learn good ones from others.

My most burning question is how can I get a simple up/down scroll capability without changing the touchpad mouse?

Background: I love the EPIX's mouse feature and would not change it. However, about 10% of the time I'd like to be able to just scroll up or down easily. Ideally there'd be a way to make the volume controls do the trick.

TopDog

Apr 21, 2008
gauteweb.net
I'm using a small utility that toggle Finger Mouse Mode between 4-way and Mouse. You can change the mode immediately with this by mapping it to a hardware button.

I've mapped it to the cam-button.

You can find it at the Modaco forum in this thread.

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
AEbutton can map the volume keys to up/down buttons. The nice thing is that it knows to return them to volume control when you are on a call.

Here's a question: is everyone experiencing the bug where emails don't trigger notification sounds (only an LED flash) if the phone is in standby?

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
questionfear: Dowloaded and installed AEButton, it looks promising
TopDog: My virus detection software lit up when I went to access the site you linked

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I got no virus notification from Modaco. Is yours sensitive, even with normal usage that SEEMS like it's dangerous but not? Like Zone Alarm is, one reason I had to quit using that one.

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
It was actually McAfee SiteAdvisor that lit up with a message stating that in their test the site tried to load some software that might give unauthorized access to your computer. I gave it another shot today and it opened without the warning. Go figure.

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
I really like the AEButton solution but it appears to revert back to the normal volume control after the phone app is opened up for a call. I thought it was supposed to take control of the buttons back. Any thoughts or advise?

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, I may see what smartkey offers later on. For the moment I'm staying with AEButton because I found the setting that restored the slider to an up.down arrow. Turns out that in the options menu under volume restore, you need to make sure "if phone is active" is checked and not "during a call."

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
GPS Settings

If you are having touble getting your internal GPS to support a 3rd party GPS app, try this:
1. Open the External GPS Settings (Settings - System Tab)
2. Set the Com port to COM4 (Programs tab)
3. Set GPS hardware port to COM9 and Baud rate to 4800 (Hardware tab)
4. Ensure Manage GPS automatically is checked (Access tab)
5. Click OK
6. Open your GPS app and make sure it is looking for GPS data from COM4 and that the baud rate is also set to 4800 (if applicable)

That's it. One caveat, a different baud rate setting would work but others have stated there is no need for any setting >4800. Still, if you feel there is a lag in your app, then by all means experiment with a different baud rate. Just make sure any baud rate setting in your GPS program matches your new setting.

Last edited:

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
One other caveat on the EPIX aGPS chip. It seems to require a cell signal in order to initialize and acquire the satelites. Not sure if it would continue to work if you went out of the range of a cell tower AFTER the satelites were initially acquired. That'll be an interesting experiment for another day.

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
Here's a site (My Samsung EPIX) that has a few pretty cool EPIX specific hacks for download.
http://www.mysamsungepix.com/category/hacks-and-mods/

The hacks include: application unlocker, camera silencer, change ring and talk volume, remove startup and shutdown sounds/animation, remove AT&T Fn shortcuts and use EPIX as a wireless modem. The last one is a registry hack that removes AT&T's adds so that you can use Internet Sharing the way its supposed to work.

jwebb56

May 19, 2007
Visit site
If you are looking for a third party GPS navigation program but having a hard time finding one that supports a square screen and has up to date maps, you might want to try iGuidance 2009. They explicitly state 320x320 screens are not supported but I did get it to work very well (with a little help). The trick is explained in this thread:
http://forums.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=174830

My caution is I use RealVGA with 96 dpi fonts and don't know if that is required to make it work. I suspect RealVGA helps it render properly but think there's a fair chance it'll be usable without RealVGA. iGuidance definitely will not provide any technical support though and they'd probably be unwilling to provide a refund if you were unhappy with the product.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077