Lockup Update - getting traction with AT&T

facetheduke

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/focus-flash-4g-omnia-w/184705.htm

Thanks to this guy in the thread above ^^^ for figuring some of this out.

I got my Flash on launch day and was able to get a full refund today as a result of the lockup issue despite the fact that I was well outside of the 30 day "evaluation period."

Some AT&T techs may tell you that this is your fault - that you need to power the phone down periodically (which is what I was told twice) - but it isn't your fault at all. If they don't believe you, you can probably reproduce the issue following the steps below.

The problem may be caused by conflicts between the proximity sensor, and pressing a button (Windows or unlock button) when they are both trying to turn the screen on. Within a certain time frame, they will both attempt to turn the screen on, causing the buttons and screen to become unresponsive.

I think he's right, but I was able to reproduce it without any fooling of the proximity sensor. So, to reproduce - keep in mind that this may take several tries to get right - try this:

• Ensure that your phone is asleep, with the screen black.
  • Have someone send a text to your phone.
  • Press the power switch just as the notification comes in.
  • Timed right, your screen should lock up.

This worked for me today. The timing is impossible to predict, so what I ended up doing was pressing the power switch repeatedly as soon as the text had been sent to me.

I have the money refunded, the contract extension will be rolled back, and am using my old phone. The guy even said that he would accept the case that I bought for a full refund. Your milage may vary. However, you now have the means to clearly demonstrate that this is a technical fault of the phone.

Best of luck.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Sucks you had that issue... but is that just a Flash issue? Is it Samsung? WP? Or was it an isolated incident with your device? If the latter, why not try another Flash?

facetheduke

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
If you look around here, you'll find plenty of people with this issue. Multiple threads dedicated to it. I'd rather have the money and reconsider my move, especially with Nokia moving in (hopefully) soon.

I think its important for people to know that if they are frustrated, they do have a way out, as at least one AT&T guy was willing to refund me and roll back the upgrade despite being about three weeks over the 30 day return period normally offered by AT&T.

Especially after two people decided it was user error and refused to help beyond telling me to power down the phone once in a while.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
If you look around here, you'll find plenty of people with this issue. Multiple threads dedicated to it. I'd rather have the money and reconsider my move, especially with Nokia moving in (hopefully) soon.

I think its important for people to know that if they are frustrated, they do have a way out, as at least one AT&T guy was willing to refund me and roll back the upgrade despite being about three weeks over the 30 day return period normally offered by AT&T.

Especially after two people decided it was user error and refused to help beyond telling me to power down the phone once in a while.
Gotcha. I don't read up much on the Flash. What made you choose the Flash instead of the Focus at that time? Btw... I just like asking questions. Lol.

facetheduke

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Flash over Focus S you mean? I couldn't justify $150 more for a better camera, 8 gigs more of storage and bigger screen. Those are really the only two differences. The Flash seemed a steal at twice the price and the S looked a bit generic.

I'm not certain what I'll do next, be it WP7 or something else. I was quite disappointed with the LACK of synergy with Windows Live. Calendars and the like didn't sync very well or nearly as quickly as iCloud. These things that are supposed to offer competition that also have real value for me... they don't work well enough.

The other frustrating thing is that they keep giving away services that should be proprietary. Why a SkyDrive app on other devices? Why does the WP7 flavor of the SkyDrive app even exist since it offers NOTHING beyond what is already in the Office hub. And then there's photosynth. I can't even figure out why that's not on WP7... but its a great app and quite well rated on iPhone. The Bing app - especially in iPad - is wonderful looking and beautifully organized. Ours is nothing special. What gives?

The most ironic part of it was that the WindowsPhone website never could display correctly in Microsoft's own browser.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Flash over Focus S you mean? I couldn't justify $150 more for a better camera, 8 gigs more of storage and bigger screen. Those are really the only two differences. The Flash seemed a steal at twice the price and the S looked a bit generic.

I'm not certain what I'll do next, be it WP7 or something else. I was quite disappointed with the LACK of synergy with Windows Live. Calendars and the like didn't sync very well or nearly as quickly as iCloud. These things that are supposed to offer competition that also have real value for me... they don't work well enough.

The other frustrating thing is that they keep giving away services that should be proprietary. Why a SkyDrive app on other devices? Why does the WP7 flavor of the SkyDrive app even exist since it offers NOTHING beyond what is already in the Office hub. And then there's photosynth. I can't even figure out why that's not on WP7... but its a great app and quite well rated on iPhone. The Bing app - especially in iPad - is wonderful looking and beautifully organized. Ours is nothing special. What gives?

The most ironic part of it was that the WindowsPhone website never could display correctly in Microsoft's own browser.
Definitely understand. That's how I feel about waiting for an LTE alternative for Nokia. I will get it, but I wasn't going to pass up FREE + $50 in apps to wait for it.

The PhotoSynth app is head scratcher at first, but keep in mind, Microsoft wants others to come over from iOS. If you have an HTC device, it's already built in to the camera. On Samsung you have Photo Studio to help accomplish this. When it comes to WP, it'll be great, but we have other options from the manufacturers.

SkyDrive, PhotoSynth and other apps from Microsoft exists because they are a software company... they make software. If users start using their apps on other platforms, that makes it a lot easier to switch from other platforms on to the WP platform. DropBox doesn't have an official app on our platform, so those using DropBox wouldn't just come over to WP. If they have alternatives like SkyDrive and start using it on those platforms, it'll make the switch a lot easier (or less painful).

facetheduke

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Definitely understand. That's how I feel about waiting for an LTE alternative for Nokia. I will get it, but I wasn't going to pass up FREE + $50 in apps to wait for it.

The PhotoSynth app is head scratcher at first, but keep in mind, Microsoft wants others to come over from iOS. If you have an HTC device, it's already built in to the camera. On Samsung you have Photo Studio to help accomplish this. When it comes to WP, it'll be great, but we have other options from the manufacturers.

SkyDrive, PhotoSynth and other apps from Microsoft exists because they are a software company... they make software. If users start using their apps on other platforms, that makes it a lot easier to switch from other platforms on to the WP platform. DropBox doesn't have an official app on our platform, so those using DropBox wouldn't just come over to WP. If they have alternatives like SkyDrive and start using it on those platforms, it'll make the switch a lot easier (or less painful).
Yes and no... in many cases, these things only make it easier for someone to switch over. MS Office on a Mac doesn't keep someone from being on a Mac... rather, it makes it easier for someone to change.

MS sub-sections - like Bing, SkyDrive, and the like - don't seem to work together for the benefit of the full company. If they would actually fully collaborate, Windows Phone would be in a much better position.

SkyDrive is a pretty neat service, especially because of Mesh - but I can't access a single thing synced with Mesh on my mobile device. That makes no SENSE. That's one of its most powerful features, and its unavailable to us completely. These things should just BE there on Windows Phone and they're not.

theandresperson

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/focus-flash-4g-omnia-w/184705.htm

Thanks to this guy in the thread above ^^^ for figuring some of this out.

I got my Flash on launch day and was able to get a full refund today as a result of the lockup issue despite the fact that I was well outside of the 30 day "evaluation period."

Some AT&T techs may tell you that this is your fault - that you need to power the phone down periodically (which is what I was told twice) - but it isn't your fault at all. If they don't believe you, you can probably reproduce the issue following the steps below.

I think he's right, but I was able to reproduce it without any fooling of the proximity sensor. So, to reproduce - keep in mind that this may take several tries to get right - try this:

• Ensure that your phone is asleep, with the screen black.
  • Have someone send a text to your phone.
  • Press the power switch just as the notification comes in.
  • Timed right, your screen should lock up.

This worked for me today. The timing is impossible to predict, so what I ended up doing was pressing the power switch repeatedly as soon as the text had been sent to me.

I have the money refunded, the contract extension will be rolled back, and am using my old phone. The guy even said that he would accept the case that I bought for a full refund. Your milage may vary. However, you now have the means to clearly demonstrate that this is a technical fault of the phone.

Best of luck.

Well I'm sorry to hear that you've left the Focus Flash and decided to wait for some newer devices. So far, I haven't had a single lock up by simply having the patience to allow the phone to unlock itself using the proximity sensor.

However, I do agree that the problem can be annoying enough to drive some away. Best of luck to you in finding a new device :D

facetheduke

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm sorry to hear that you've left the Focus Flash and decided to wait for some newer devices. So far, I haven't had a single lock up by simply having the patience to allow the phone to unlock itself using the proximity sensor.

However, I do agree that the problem can be annoying enough to drive some away. Best of luck to you in finding a new device :D

I had enough notifications enabled that it was easy to trigger the glitch just by waking up the devices at the same time as a notification comes in.

The simple solution is "have fewer notifications," but that's not really a fix since the reason such things exist is to use them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon