Debating on the Focus or the Focus Flash...

Papaguan

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello there, WP7 community! I am new to all things Windows Mobile but lately I've been researching the internet on a new phone (I'm AT&T) and WP7 has definitely taken my interest. Now I'm stuck between choosing one of the budget Samsung smartphones. I know the technical specification differences between the two and at first I had chosen the Flash, but the problem with the lockup on notifications has not been resolved to my knowledge. So I'm asking you, Flash owners, in retrospect, if you had known about the lockup problem and the current workaround, would you still have purchased the Focus Flash?

tl;dr: For people who have the Focus Flash, if you had known about the freezing problem on notifications and the workaround, would you still have bought the Focus flash?

Papaguan

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Answer is yes. The lockup doesn't happen much anymore.

From my understanding, the lockup happens because of the proximity sensor. Not to denounce your post because I appreciate the feedback, but it's either the problems fixed or not...or am I misunderstanding the issue?

theandresperson

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello there, WP7 community! I am new to all things Windows Mobile but lately I've been researching the internet on a new phone (I'm AT&T) and WP7 has definitely taken my interest. Now I'm stuck between choosing one of the budget Samsung smartphones. I know the technical specification differences between the two and at first I had chosen the Flash, but the problem with the lockup on notifications has not been resolved to my knowledge. So I'm asking you, Flash owners, in retrospect, if you had known about the lockup problem and the current workaround, would you still have purchased the Focus Flash?

tl;dr: For people who have the Focus Flash, if you had known about the freezing problem on notifications and the workaround, would you still have bought the Focus flash?

To answer your questions, I originally returned my first Flash to Amazon after finding the lock screen issue. They gave me the option of choosing another phone to which I declined. Why? Because the size is great (I can't stand 4+ inch phones, my brother has the Infuse), it was inexpensive, and I love the design and build quality. I also weighed my options on the HD7, original Focus, and Focus S. I suggest you go to an AT&T retail location and try them all out yourself. Also, try to see if you can recreate the lock screen problem and see if this will be an issue for you.

For some, the workaround is not enough of a solution to warrant keeping the phone for long. For those of us that are patient, we can deal with this. As long as you allow the proximity sensor to light the phone up, you should be set. I have no other issues with the phone.

Definitely also consider all the upcoming WP7 handsets coming to market that were announced at CES: HTC Titan II and Nokia Lumia 900.

Anyway, good luck on your hunt for a new Windows Phone.

Regards,
Andres

P.S. Forgot to mention Mobile World Congress is also taking place soon. There may be more announcements pertaining to WP7 there also

Papaguan

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
To answer your questions, I originally returned my first Flash to Amazon after finding the lock screen issue. They gave me the option of choosing another phone to which I declined. Why? Because the size is great (I can't stand 4+ inch phones, my brother has the Infuse), it was inexpensive, and I love the design and build quality. I also weighed my options on the HD7, original Focus, and Focus S. I suggest you go to an AT&T retail location and try them all out yourself. Also, try to see if you can recreate the lock screen problem and see if this will be an issue for you.

For some, the workaround is not enough of a solution to warrant keeping the phone for long. For those of us that are patient, we can deal with this. As long as you allow the proximity sensor to light the phone up, you should be set. I have no other issues with the phone.

Definitely also consider all the upcoming WP7 handsets coming to market that were announced at CES: HTC Titan II and Nokia Lumia 900.

Anyway, good luck on your hunt for a new Windows Phone.

Regards,
Andres

P.S. Forgot to mention Mobile World Congress is also taking place soon. There may be more announcements pertaining to WP7 there also

Thank you for the long thought out response! I am only a poor college student so I really don't have much money to spend on a smartphone such as the ones shown at CES, and since the Flash is already at $1, I don't see it getting much cheaper. :p

But, now that you mention it, is it possible to lockup the phone at the AT&T store? I was under the impression that it can only be possible when the phone received a notification, and I don't suppose those phones on display has access to anything that can induce a notification. Thank you for your input though!

MickeyCeeCT

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site

I love the Focus Flash, had it a couple months....I still have not experienced any issues at all with the phone or whatever that lockup issue is, great size and incredible battery life.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Few of the bugs discussed in the forums affect every user of a particular device. They can seem more prevalent here, because those who are not having problems are also not posting. This is a great place to ask questions and learn from others, just remember to keep in context, make the choice that is best for you, and you'll be happy w/ windows phone.

theandresperson

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the long thought out response! I am only a poor college student so I really don't have much money to spend on a smartphone such as the ones shown at CES, and since the Flash is already at $1, I don't see it getting much cheaper. :p

But, now that you mention it, is it possible to lockup the phone at the AT&T store? I was under the impression that it can only be possible when the phone received a notification, and I don't suppose those phones on display has access to anything that can induce a notification. Thank you for your input though!
You definitely should be able to reproduce the issue at an AT&T store; all the units there are fully functional as they can send and receive calls as well as having data services.

Send a text message to an on-display Flash while covering the proximity sensor with a finger. Attempt to remove your finger and press either the Windows button or unlock button simultaneously and you should be able to achieve the lock up. Kinda sucks, but as long as you can pull out the phone from your pocket and allow it to light itself up, you'll be set. I haven't had a lock up in two months.

As for pricing, I definitely feel you there. I am also a college student and getting the budget-minded Flash seemed like a no-brainer. Also remember that the Flash has a better set of specs overall compared to the original Focus: front-facing camera, 1.4GHz processor, HSPA+ ("4G"), tighter build quality, and (in my opinion) a more pocketable size.

So I wish you luck in your continued search. I will gladly answer any more questions you may have.

Regards,
Andres

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I would hardly trade the Flash (or in my case Omnia W) for any non-AMOLED screen phone. I just LOVE this screen. What I hate is the soft buttons. I constantly press them unintentionally especially when playing games.

I have never experienced the freezing issue.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
The only thing truly better on the original Focus is the camera. It was considered high end at the time & was basically the same guts as the Galaxy S line. Whereas the Flash started life as more of a mid to lower range device. The Flash isn't awful, but I def pulled better shots with my original Focus.

Thats about it though. Everything else on the Flash is better. Its a smaller screen, but thats more of a preference thing than a negative. I personally like that its more pocketable & has better build quality. I like the windows hardware button too.

Papaguan

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
And a thank you everyone who has replied in this topic. You have all persuaded me to get the Flash over the original Focus!

I do have another question however! (Sorry for the annoying questions :p) Does the phone/browser have the ability to save log in information and even automatically log in whenever you visit a web page? The reason I ask is because the apartment I stay in has wifi, but to use it, it redirects you to a page and you have to put in your account info (typical network stuff).

pecuevasb

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the Flash for about a month now and I've had no problems with at all. There's no point in getting a first generation Windows Phone when you can get a second generation one. Get the Flash!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786