How to Change from 3g/4g to 2g/Edge Mode or ViceVersa

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
this is how to guide I created myself. The other method of changing from 3g to 2g from dialer ##3282 it does not stick on AT&T Flash. This method work has long has you do not power off the phone..

You do not need to unlock your phone or use any special tricks. Just follow the steps listed below.
Should work for almost all phone's

Change from 3g or 4g to 2g/Edge Mode to Converse Battery. This can be done from the diag menu debug option. Use with Caution, do not change anything else in the menu unless specified to do so.

============================================================

Dial ##634#
Diagnosis should install, else if already installed launch diagnosis from app list

Dial *#197328640# - Bring Up Main Menu

Press 1 Debug Screen
Press 8 Phone Control
Press 7 Network Control
Press 4 Aquistion Order

This is menu in which you can change from Edge to 3g/4g Mode.

1)Automatic - this chooses the best option which is usually umts_gsm
2)GSM_UMTS - if you select this Edge/2g Mode is activated
3)UMTS_GSM - if you select this 3g/4g Mode is activated
4)No Change - leave has alone.

Select 2, GSM_UMTS for Edge Mode
now press "end" key,
back key
Now Power Off Phone, leave off for 30 or so seconds.
Restart the Phone

You should now be in Edge Mode when cellular data is turned on.

If you need to change back to 3g/4g mode follows the steps above expect select 3)umts_gsm mode

Update: After a few days of testing noticed a few things..

1) if you power off your phone it will reset back to it default state
2) if 3g/4g signal strength is really strong, phone will switch to use 3g/4g speeds, but will remain in gsm_umts mode.
3) Slighty better battery when in gsm_umts mode with cell data turned on..

Last edited:

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't seem to work when I try that. I get to the diagnostic tool. (Actually I just opened the one already on my phone) type in *#197328640# and nothing happens. Mine has been very flaky in the Diagnostic Tool since I deleted the last time. I think it keeps pulling an older version and doesn't ever seem to update it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Already in the instructions below (good thing) but as a reminder, when I tested LTE vs. Edge on my L900 there was significant battery drain if I didn't soft reset my phone after changing cell connection. Seems like the phone was straining to find the previous connection type. So be warned.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been very flaky in the Diagnostic Tool since I deleted the last time. I think it keeps pulling an older version and doesn't ever seem to update it.

My version is .1004

Uninstall the version, from phone dialer ##634# to reinstall the app, check and see if you have and update or not.

Already in the instructions below (good thing) but as a reminder, when I tested LTE vs. Edge on my L900 there was significant battery drain if I didn't soft reset my phone after changing cell connection. Seems like the phone was straining to find the previous connection type. So be warned.

I noticed a significant battery drain the first time I threw it into edge mode. Had to power off fully wait 30 or so seconds then turn back on.

I was edge mode till I drove to store before work this morning. And well once I got closer to the AT&T Tower then phone auto switch back to umts_gsm 4g/3g mode.

At home now, and threw it back into edge mode and it has managed to stay that way for a while now. If switches to back to 4g mode then I have and idea of what needs to be changed.

I think I need to check the plmn setting and change it from auto to manu if it keep on auto switching..

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Update: After a few days of testing noticed a few things..

1) if you power off your phone it will reset back to it default state umts_gsm (so do not power off phone)

2) if 3g/4g signal strength is really strong, phone will switch to use 3g/4g speeds, but will remain in gsm_umts mode.

3) Slighty better battery when in gsm_umts mode with cell data turned on.

My daily routine at work with is about 8 hours of nonstreaming music, yahoo&hotmail checking every hour, wpcentral, samsung now, When not at work on wifi at home..only on cell when at work or around and about.

GSM_UMTS mode : High 50 t0 Low 60%
UMTS_GSM mode: High 30 to Low 40%

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been able to change that on mine still. My Diagnostic App is still at ver .0412 and I have not seen anything to saying there is an update available. Oh, well my battery seemed really good this weekend. I even had to use the gps on it to drive to a couple of places out I had not been and I didn't even charge it at all on Saturday or Sunday until bedtime on Sunday. I talked on it more than usual, but didn't have as many emails or texts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs