Windows Mango OS / BB 7.0

What platform did you come from?

• Total voters

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Good morning,

I'm a current iPhone 4S user but need a second device for business purposes. I was a Blackberry user for years but felt they were getting out dated for sometime.
I was thinking of buying the new BB 9900 with AT&T that comes out this Sunday but a little concerned because of the feedback I'm hearing on crackberry.com from a lot of users.

So I started to look into the windows OS and the Mango update. I like what I'm reading and I'm wondering if there are any iPhone or Blackberry users that made the swap over to windows? Just wondering if you like it and if you have any regrets?

I'm looking to buy the Samsung Focus S this Sunday and just want some thoughts from you before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for any information.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If you're wanting a business device, the Bold 9900/9930 is an excellent device. Blackberry really stepped up the hardware, and the speed of OS7, the hourglass problems are no more.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Guess it's according to what kind of "business" you're in. If you need Office/SkyDrive/Outlook/Lynch etc., then WP is definitely the way to go. What kind of business are you in?

greenjbhsd

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Any reason you did not include Android as a specific poll entry? I am coming from an iPhone 4 (1, 3Gs, now 4) to the galaxy s2 and now making the WP7 jump.

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Any reason you did not include Android as a specific poll entry? I am coming from an iPhone 4 (1, 3Gs, now 4) to the galaxy s2 and now making the WP7 jump.

I should have included Android but I forgot. I was posting on the fly. And to be honest I was just trying to see if anyone had any thoughts of deciding between windows OS and blackberry. I know this is a windows forum but thought that some people here tried both at one time or another and could give an unbiased opinion.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I should have included Android but I forgot. I was posting on the fly. And to be honest I was just trying to see if anyone had any thoughts of deciding between windows OS and blackberry. I know this is a windows forum but thought that some people here tried both at one time or another and could give an unbiased opinion.

Well, I have been a Blackberry user for over 7 years now, and will finally be leaving for WP. Two main factors contribute to this. One, the OS is just stale and old. But the main reason is they cannot make functioning hardware anymore. I got sucked into buying a Tour on Sprint and haven't had a working one for the 2.5 years I have been using it. I have had it replaced a ton of times. In my mind, they should have given Tour owners a free 9650 for their trouble, but... they didn't care. So, they lost me as a customer forever.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Good morning,

I'm a current iPhone 4S user but need a second device for business purposes. I was a Blackberry user for years but felt they were getting out dated for sometime.
I was thinking of buying the new BB 9900 with AT&T that comes out this Sunday but a little concerned because of the feedback I'm hearing on crackberry.com from a lot of users.

So I started to look into the windows OS and the Mango update. I like what I'm reading and I'm wondering if there are any iPhone or Blackberry users that made the swap over to windows? Just wondering if you like it and if you have any regrets?

I'm looking to buy the Samsung Focus S this Sunday and just want some thoughts from you before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for any information.

After owning a Blackberry Bold 9700 all I can say is: never again. Never again will I own one. First of all, one issue I have with it is the screen. Now, granted back when I got the phone the bigger screen size was basically the iPhone at 3.5 inches, so it wasn't a big deal. But, after seeing and playing around with a 4.3 inch screen I could not justify going back to something so small (except I have wanted to own an Xperia Mini Pro just for a small quick texting and apps phone to go alongside a bigger phone). The other problem I have had was with their touchpad. They now have touchscreen, but still my touchpad wore down within 6 months and all you had to do was barely even touch the thing and it automatically clicked. It would call my contacts just from being in my pocket (EVEN ON LOCK!). The browser is terrible, can't load anything on any site. There is no app market, basically everything costs money...no freebies whatsoever. The keyboards are cramped. Trust me, you don't want to go down that path. I got a Blackberry because alot of my friends had one and I thought it would be a good phone. After 6 months I was dying to get some $30 flip phone to replace it until my contract expired.

As far as business phones go, I would go with WP7 just because it comes with the best integration of Office on any mobile OS and with the SkyDrive it makes it easy to upload your documents so people in your group can see them. Although, if the Galaxy Note comes out and you really don't mind a big screen I'd get that for business. I mean you can basically annotate stuff on the go with that. The iphone also is more of just a fun app phone, not really business oriented imo.

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think after careful consideration I will buy the Samsung Focus S this Sunday. Since I don't have a google account for my contacts I have to see how I can upload my contacts to windows live. I should be able to work that out. I use a Mac so not the friendliest with windows.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think after careful consideration I will buy the Samsung Focus S this Sunday. Since I don't have a google account for my contacts I have to see how I can upload my contacts to windows live. I should be able to work that out. I use a Mac so not the friendliest with windows.

I have a gmail account, but hotmail let's me use their service with that email. So there is some interworking that goes on between the two, you just have to enable both emails to be able to be outsourced to the other. Like you have to go under the Gmail settings and enable it to be used by another service. But pretty much if you have a gmail account you can just use that to set up stuff like SkyDrive, hotmail, etc.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The one thing that RIM/Blackberry will always have over every other OS is the physical keyboard. RIM kills keyboards. Sure you have some WP7 devices with physical keyboards, but Blackberry does it the best, and there is always going to be a market for that. Windows is certainly the more stable, more developed OS; but now with OS7 on Blackberry, RIM is really starting to shape up, and it isn't a burden using your Blackberry now.

wayneholbrook

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The one thing that RIM/Blackberry will always have over every other OS is the physical keyboard. RIM kills keyboards. Sure you have some WP7 devices with physical keyboards, but Blackberry does it the best, and there is always going to be a market for that. Windows is certainly the more stable, more developed OS; but now with OS7 on Blackberry, RIM is really starting to shape up, and it isn't a burden using your Blackberry now.

after hours of trying to sync contacts with windows live even after setting up a live account, still cant sync my mac contacts with windows. When I tried it through google I got like 4 entries each contact. Way to frustrating. Looks like the BB 9900 might be my only option. At least Blackberry has a mac desktop manager that can easily handle this.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Uh, the only time I had an appreciation for the Blackberry keyboard was when mainly all the other devices had the same form factor and same keyboard size. Now that there are phones with 4 inch and bigger screens where you don't feel all cramped, I must say I prefer those over a Blackberry keyboard.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Uh, the only time I had an appreciation for the Blackberry keyboard was when mainly all the other devices had the same form factor and same keyboard size. Now that there are phones with 4 inch and bigger screens where you don't feel all cramped, I must say I prefer those over a Blackberry keyboard.

How much tactile feedback do you get from those 4 inch touchscreens? None. Some people are devotees to physical keyboards, and I don't blame them. Would you ever buy a laptop that only had a virtual keyboard? Of course not. For some people, the same applies to phones.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
How much tactile feedback do you get from those 4 inch touchscreens? None. Some people are devotees to physical keyboards, and I don't blame them. Would you ever buy a laptop that only had a virtual keyboard? Of course not. For some people, the same applies to phones.

Doesn't mean Blackberry therefore has the better keyboard. It doesn't. It use to when all the phones were of the same form factor, but not anymore. Also, the idea that you need tactile feedback is because you are use to typing on a physical keyboard. When you get use to typing on a virtual keyboard and having the vibration feedback, you can become almost flawless at it. What Windows Phone needs is Swype.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't mean Blackberry therefore has the better keyboard. It doesn't. It use to when all the phones were of the same form factor, but not anymore. Also, the idea that you need tactile feedback is because you are use to typing on a physical keyboard. When you get use to typing on a virtual keyboard and having the vibration feedback, you can become almost flawless at it. What Windows Phone needs is Swype.

Blackberry makes the best physical keyboards, which matters a lot to a large percentage of the market.

I can type on glass. I've been typing on glass for nearly 3 years now using an iPhone as my daily, however I have missed the feeling of real keys, and that is why I am looking to get a phone with a physical keyboard. In regards to the vibration, Windows phone has no vibration feedback, just audible feedback. I am personally not a fan of Swype, but I know of a lot of people who love it, so to each his own.

You say you almost become flawless at typing virtually, go ahead and turn off auto-correction and see how accurately you type; my guess is it won't be very good at all. With a physical keyboard, you don't have to use auto-correct to type well, although you do have the option to turn it on.

A phone is a very personal decision, you have to choose what works best for you, and for many people a virtual keyboard is not best for them.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
after hours of trying to sync contacts with windows live even after setting up a live account, still cant sync my mac contacts with windows. When I tried it through google I got like 4 entries each contact. Way to frustrating. Looks like the BB 9900 might be my only option. At least Blackberry has a mac desktop manager that can easily handle this.

Have you tried exporting your current contacts to a CSV file and importing to Hotmail?

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry makes the best physical keyboards, which matters a lot to a large percentage of the market.

I can type on glass. I've been typing on glass for nearly 3 years now using an iPhone as my daily, however I have missed the feeling of real keys, and that is why I am looking to get a phone with a physical keyboard. In regards to the vibration, Windows phone has no vibration feedback, just audible feedback. I am personally not a fan of Swype, but I know of a lot of people who love it, so to each his own.

You say you almost become flawless at typing virtually, go ahead and turn off auto-correction and see how accurately you type; my guess is it won't be very good at all. With a physical keyboard, you don't have to use auto-correct to type well, although you do have the option to turn it on.

A phone is a very personal decision, you have to choose what works best for you, and for many people a virtual keyboard is not best for them.

I'm sorry but regardless of your feelings about physical keyboards, RIM does make the best. And I won't buy another physical keyboard phone because of a couple reasons: I like thinness (which is obviously taken away with a slider), and Windows Phone has the best virtual keyboard out there. However, there are times when I'm typing a long email or text that I miss my Bold's keyboard.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
When I got my Nokia N8, it was the first phone for me with an onscreen keyboard. I thought it was a mistake at first because it was so hard to get use too. Then I installed Swype, which helped a lot. Now I am use to it. :cool:

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
you should have posted this on the main forum. you might have gotten a lot more responses that way. I'd be very interested to see what the results would be.

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry keyboards are pretty solid, but there are some slip ups. The original Bold 9000 is probalby the best physical keyboard ever made for phone. It was heralded in many reviews as such, and I know it was a dream to type on when I had it.

Now when I switched to Sprint, I got the Style 9670 which put the classic BB keyboard in a clamshell, and it was cramped and not as easy to use. I really wanted the Torch, but it was an AT&T only device. I tried my supervisor's Torch and it is a great keyboard, but with the screen sliding up, it gets a little cramped on the keys towards the top, which would probably be annoying. I wonder if the Dell Venue Pro has the same issue?

I have the HTC Arrive since I had to have a physical keyboard, and it's nice. Big spacious keys, i really enjoy typing on it, it's much better than the Torch or the Style, but I do not have the speed or accuracy I had on the Bold 9000, I could type full page emails and word documents on that with no problem.

That being said, the BB OS had gotten too slow and clunky for me, and I haven't remotely regretted switching to WP7

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs