[Official] Samsung Focus S hands on and reviews combined

Jowiso

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Bah. Yeah. I mean, it's nice to see the phone on video, but there's still a lack of any real spec talk. It shouldn't be that hard to tell us about the RAM and internal memory...

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
A Quick Hands-on Review of the Focus S

I had a chance to get my hands on the new Focus S and Focus Flash today.

It's not available yet. It was only in stock. I cannot walk out of the store with it until Sunday.

First impression: Wow! SUPER light! Now, I have been proudly rocking the LG Quantum for almost a year, but I won't compare the Focus S to that. Several friends of mine have the original Focus, and I have spend a fair amount of time handling it. As most may know, the original Focus has a 4" screen, and is .39" thick. The Focus S has a 4.3" screen, and is .33" thick. (Obviously I didn't bring my micrometer into the store, I am going off of Samsung's posted specs.) The Focus S just feels so incredibly light and thin, even compared to the Focus. I felt like a strong breeze could blow it out of my hand! The Focus S seems to be made of good quality materials. It does feel "plasticy", but I think the original Focus still feels "weaker".

The back cover itself is incredibly chintzy. I was very careful taking it off. I confirmed that it has a 1650mAh battery, which looks huge because it is so thin.

The screen of course is amazing!! I really don't feel I have to elaborate!

This one had 16GB of storage, showing about 14.3 available I think. Of course, the "About Phone" section did not show the amount of RAM, but the box did say "1.4ghz single core precessor, 1GB RAM", although I know that there was confusion about the Quantum's RAM when released because of conflicting specs.

The rear-facing camera clearly states 8MP on it, and I have no doubt of that, based on the quality of pics I took in the store, although it does not seem noticably better than my Quantum's. The front-facing camera is reported to be a 1.3MP. I took several pics with it, and they turned out better than I would have expected, even when zooming in all of the way.

The OS is Mango of course. The Samsung photo editing app was pretty cool. I didn't load up any games to check the fluidity under strain, but strolling quickly through the stock photos was just as fast as all other Windows Phones I have played with. That is of course a good thing. My fingers cannot swipe faster than the phone can react.

For the Androidians out there, the Focus S is very much like the Galaxy S II. They look very near identical.

I also handled the Focus Flash. It is obviously smaller, thicker, has less storage, has less RAM, and has lower camera specs than the Focus S, but is a steal at $50 on contract nonetheless.

The Focus S is just plain sick!! It will easily sell well. The $200 (on contract) pricetag will be a deterent for very few people.

I know that there are other people that have done reviews, and I am sure I missed something, but just ask, and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

I can't wait to own this amazing device!!

I have attached some images showing the difference in thickness between the original Focus, the Focus Flash, and the Focus S. Because the Focus had it's security appendage, the order is Flash, S, and S, top to bottom. Obviously the lighting was crap, so I apologize.

greenjbhsd

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
If it is just like the GS2 then I am so in. I LOVE the GS2 hardware so this is going to rock. Thanks for this post, though I cannot wait till Sunday and I hate wishing weekends away!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
How is the screen accuracy and sensitivity on the Focus S? It was good on the Focus and hope it continues with the S.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
My coworker from Microsoft got his today and I had a look, actually quite impressive, very fast, nicely slim but not flimsy. It feels like a sliver of high tech WP7 goodness, though I did notice the auto brightness going haywire. Lucky for you at&t guys, and it really deserves better support from at&t.

timGSU

Oct 6, 2006
Visit site
So where the **** are all the reviews for this device????? Seen plenty of Focus Flash reviews but no real full Focus S reviews. What gives?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel