First impressions

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, the screen seems much bigger than the focus. The phone itself is very thin and light, almost too thin and light. I seem to recall feeling the same way about the focus though. I hate the way the battery cover snaps on place, seems like it might break/loosen over time. No sliding cover for the micro USB port =(

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Big one for me, the lock screen isn't flashing the home screen like it used to.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I think Daniel is doing a screen comparison later featuring the Focus S and the HTC Titan. Going by what he says he was rather disappointed at how dull the screen is on the Focus S compared to the original Focus.

He seems to think HTC have made a great job of their Titan's screen.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that as realistically i'm not going to be able to get a Focus S here.

I'm still concerned about the pixelisation reports some have made about the Titan's screen and some say it's nothing to worry about.

Just love the Titans large screen. We'll see if he posts the videos up later. :)

What's your feelings about the screen jmerrey ?

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I think Daniel is doing a screen comparison later featuring the Focus S and the HTC Titan. Going by what he says he was rather disappointed at how dull the screen is on the Focus S compared to the original Focus.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that as realistically i'm not going to be able to get a Focus S here.

I'm still concerned about the pixelisation reports some have made about the Titan's screen and some say it's nothing to worry about.

Just love the Titans large screen. We'll see if he posts the videos up later. :)

What's your feelings about the screen jmerry ?

What, the screen is dull? If I remember correctly, SLCD screen is brighter than SAMOLED+ but SAMOLED+ should have better color saturation?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well that's what I thought too threedog. Interesting to see the comparison and what he thinks. :)

I'm off to try out the Titan in the morning, will make my mind up then. It's fine for me size wize, not too big but will have to scrutinize that screen first. LOL

Either that or wait till spring for a larger Nokia, i just hate waiting though.

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys know what glass HTC phones use for the screen? I think Samsung uses Gorilla Glass for the majority of its phones.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Putting the two phones side by side, it's possible that the focus has a slightly brighter screen than the focus s, but not by much. It appears to me that the focus s screen is richer than the focus.

One odd thing, when the white background is on, the phone seems to be hunting for the correct brightness when opening apps, which is strange since I have the auto setting off.

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm..yeah it seems like HTC Titan probably has Gorilla Glass. Anyways I'm probably getting the Focus S. I've been off my contract for 4 months now so I can't wait for the Titan which is probably going to be around the same price point. Either way you can't go wrong with either the Titan or Focus S. Despite the differences, both are incredible phones for WP7!

Last edited:

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

What's your feelings about the screen jmerrey ?

Daniel and others may already know this, but the Focus S has an additional sceeen setting that was not on the Focus. It is called "Auto Display Intensity" and if enabled (default) is will reduce the screen intensity when it is on a page with white background. This may be what some have experienced.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok cool, I unchecked that auto intensity in extra settings and it did the trick, no more weird brightness adjustments when I open the email client.

Further thoughts:

1. The keyboard seems slower to register; I cant type nearly as fast as I could on the focus

2. The buttons almost stick out too far on the sides, a product of the curved sides I think

3. I'm still not crazy about the shiny black plastic body

4. The screen is absolutely awesome. I can't wait to to get home and do some serious comparisons, but I'm sure the colors are richer

5. Scrolling in some applications is much faster, and the device overall is faster all around

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok cool, I unchecked that auto intensity in extra settings and it did the trick, no more weird brightness adjustments when I open the email client.

Further thoughts:

1. The keyboard seems slower to register; I cant type nearly as fast as I could on the focus

2. The buttons almost stick out too far on the sides, a product of the curved sides I think

3. I'm still not crazy about the shiny black plastic body

4. The screen is absolutely awesome. I can't wait to to get home and do some serious comparisons, but I'm sure the colors are richer

5. Scrolling in some applications is much faster, and the device overall is faster all around

I noticed the same thing on mine. There is a barely perceptible delay when you hit each key on the keyboard. It's kind of annoying and totally unexpected coming from the original Focus and then an iPhone. I hope Samsung can address this soon with a firmware update, as it's nearly a deal-breaker for me.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
How is the camera on the phone? I just ordered the phone today to try out. Considering leaving Sprint. Nervous as all get out! :: bites nails ::

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
How is the camera on the phone? I just ordered the phone today to try out. Considering leaving Sprint. Nervous as all get out! :: bites nails ::

The Camera is great. It must be the same lens as the Galaxy S2. I have taken comparison shots with my iPhone 4s and some shots actually look better coming from the Focus S (blown up on a big screen). Very happy with the rear camera. Haven't tried the FFC yet, but I remember that being good on the SG2 as well.

One thing, though, is that the phone compresses the pictures automatically no matter where you send them. I noticed the file sizes were rather small. iPhone gives you an option to send them full size or smaller. WP7 doesn't give you that option. The picture quality doesn't really seem to suffer, but there's no way that detail doesn't get lost when the picture compresses and the only way to get the full size photo is to plug it into Zune, as far as I can tell.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
As above, the camera is great; very fast, very high quality. Switches between ffc and rear camera quickly. FFC is good. I'm very anxious to try video calling. The camera button sticks out quite a bit. In fact, I'm a bit worried that it might loosen up over time.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the feedback on the camera.

Can I also ask...how well do you all like AT&T service? I've been with Sprint for 10 years and am, frankly, VERY nervous about switching. I figured I could try the device for the trial period and, if anything, return it.

Sprint has been very good for me, but I fear their network may be in big trouble. Not to mention not a single sign of any new Windows Phones coming to CDMA. I've had my Arrive since March and have NO desire to ever go back to Android, which is massive on CDMA networks.

Just looking for your thoughts on AT&T. I've never been nervous about purchasing technology before, but again - 10 years is a LONG time commitment. Ha. :)

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My personal experience is that at&t is much better than it was about a year and a half ago. I can't remember the last time I had a dropped call in a good to decent service area. Also, I've noticed I have the 4g icon almost all the time since I got the Focus S. Download speeds are definitely faster with 4g vs 3g, at least so far.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Can I also ask...how well do you all like AT&T service? I've been with Sprint for 10 years and am, frankly, VERY nervous about switching. I figured I could try the device for the trial period and, if anything, return it.

I'm in a similar boat. Been with Sprint for 12 years (got my first cell phone then). They recently told me that I HAVE to upgrade my plan if I replace my Touch Pro, nothing to debate. Their 2-line family plan becomes as expensive as AT&T and although it is unlimited data, looking at AT&T's WP7 phone selection, I'd rather have a phone I really want, even with the 2GB cap.

I did find a 50% off coupon for AT&T so that's something. I just need to decide on a dumb phone or messaging phone for my wife and everything seems really crappy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)