Should I???

Xtian80

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, loyal WP users...should i get the Focus S today or wait to see what the AT&T/WindowsPhone event is all about tomorrow? I am sick and tired of my iPhone 4 and my upgrade was up a couple weeks ago and it seems like I am wasting time with this dumb phone when I could be using a WP7. So what do you think? Pull the trigger today on the Focus S or wait to see what happens tomorrow?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they'll announce anything special tomorrow other than the Titan. Can you wait until next spring? There should be at least one Nokia phone out at that time.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Xtian80

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could wait till the Spring, but seriously it's been killing me the last month or so of having to use this iphone

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You might have that attitude that if you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll never get the WP7 experience. But I understand Windows Phone 8 is going to be so mindblowingly great that it's worth waiting for.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I know that my opinion is only, well, my opinion, but I got the Focus S and am not impressed. I will try give this a few more days and see if it grows on me. If the Titan is announced available in the next 30 days then I may wait before canceling my AT&T account.

What I don't like about the phone so far:

1. Yes, it is light but it also feels very flimsy
2. My usual gripe about WP7 being a first-gen OS, lack of apps, poor implementation of multi-tasking, etc.
3. Maps does not track in the direction I am driving, even after playing with settings

These are only initial impressions. I will post back later.

timGSU

Oct 6, 2006
Visit site
I know that my opinion is only, well, my opinion, but I got the Focus S and am not impressed. I will try give this a few more days and see if it grows on me. If the Titan is announced available in the next 30 days then I may wait before canceling my AT&T account.

What I don't like about the phone so far:

2. My usual gripe about WP7 being a first-gen OS, lack of apps, poor implementation of multi-tasking, etc.
3. Maps does not track in the direction I am driving, even after playing with settings

These are only initial impressions. I will post back later.

I pretty much disagree.....basically you are saying the entire line of Galaxy S II phones are flimsy....because this is the same design as all of them for the most part. I think its just fine. Samsung goes for THIN and LIGHT phones. That doesn't mean they are flimsy.

WP7 and Apps is an issue, but has nothing to do with individual phones.

As far as your 3rd point, does maps do this on ANY WP hardware? Curious on this one.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I pretty much disagree.....basically you are saying the entire line of Galaxy S II phones are flimsy....because this is the same design as all of them for the most part. I think its just fine. Samsung goes for THIN and LIGHT phones. That doesn't mean they are flimsy.

WP7 and Apps is an issue, but has nothing to do with individual phones.

As far as your 3rd point, does maps do this on ANY WP hardware? Curious on this one.

I'll give you an example of what I mean by flimsy - when the sales rep at the store was trying to fit the cover back on after mounting the SIM, he did so very very delicately. Anyway, it certainly *feels* flimsy. Your points 2 & 3 are valid and probably not related to this phone *only*.

timGSU

Oct 6, 2006
Visit site
I'll give you an example of what I mean by flimsy - when the sales rep at the store was trying to fit the cover back on after mounting the SIM, he did so very very delicately. Anyway, it certainly *feels* flimsy. Your points 2 & 3 are valid and probably not related to this phone *only*.

How often do you take your battery cover off? :) Yes, the battery cover is super thin, just like the suite of Android SGSII phones.....they are all the same for the most part.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Geezz, mapexvenus. I know you are entitled to post your opinion, but the constant WP negativity is getting old. If you don't think the platform is mature enough for you, then please go find a platform and phone you like. Personally, I do think that Samsung devices are a little too light and plasticy for me, but would not hesitate to recommend the Focus S to someone looking for that type of phone.

And regarding apps, I didn't have a problem finding 160 I like. Sure, there may be a few you would like to see, but that does not make the platform bad or immature. It simply shows the ignorance of developers and corporations who don't think the platform is worth investing in. Let's see who has the last laugh with that one.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Xtian80

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I personally don't think the apps thing (or lack thereof) will be a deal breaker for me. There are very few apps that i rely on, and besides, most of the apps that I do download are just stupid games to pass the time, I'm sure I can find some of those on WP. The battery cover thing doesn't bother me either, like someone said, how often do you remove the battery cover? I've had an iphone for over a year now and it doesn't even have a battery cover, so I guess it's not something that I need to worry about.

My only real concern right now is the people saying that the OS is laggy. I'm hoping that is just a small selection of the Focus S's

The "feeling light and flimsy" thing, doesn't seem to be that much of an issue to most people from what i've read either.

So yeah, unless they announce something awesome that is coming in the next few weeks i'll be picking up a Focus S on Tuesday.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
1) I'd say that the Focus S is likely the thinnest phone available through AT&T right now. Of course it will feel light. However, I do not consider it flimsy or weak. It really does feel like quality hardware, despite it's light weight.

2) Yes, Windows Phone has only been out for just over a year, so the app count is lower than more-established platforms. My question is: Which apps are you missing? Pandora, for example, does not offer a WP app yet, but there are many other apps that do very similar things. What app capabilities are you looking for? There are many knowledgable users here that would be glad to help you find functionality that you may be looking for.

3) I don't really know what to say about this one. Yes, the orientation view does not always rotate for me, and it bothers me. There is no way that this would be in my top three complaints for the OS though.

Windows Phone is not perfect, but I am more than satisfied with it. I am also very satisfied with the Focus S.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium