Is the Flash the better Focus?

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Tons of reviews. Looks to be featured in a new commercial and is clearly vetting a ton of hype. Is it because the pro point is meant to recruit new WP users?

Either way, its getting me thinking I ordered the wrong one.

Mangos taste better than apples!

aimfire72

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it's necessarily better, but they are definitely pushing it harder. I don't get it either... It could be that at&t is positioning the Flash as their entry level WP phone, with the upcoming HTC Titan as the high end one. The Focus S just kind of gets lost inbetween the two. It's not a bad phone, but the Titan definitely has more hype around it.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Probably because it's cheaper. It's hard to push a single core, last gen (in effect, since the Galaxy SII came out a LONG time ago in asia - I got one in TW before I left - 200usd device. 1.4GHz be cursed.

However, many places are putting the Flash for free or 50usd after contract. That is a LOT more acceptable for many consumers new to smartphones. (IMO)

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Its def not better. Just a cheaper, entry level phone that new people to WP7 can get brand new. Its pretty thin & lighter than the Focus & looks more "this gen", but the Focus is a better all around phone IMO.

I've studied the photos from the Flash too & they're not as good as what my Focus produces. Point is, a last gen phone that was high end at the time is probably going to be better than a low end phone that's this gen.

Noooow, put the old Focus up against the HTC Radar & we may have a real fight.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
From the time I have spent with both of them, I will say that the Flash is not better than the S. It is, however, a better value.

I'd say the Flash is the Ford, and the S is the Lincoln. The S being better, but being advertised less and selling less, and the Flash being the "flagship" entry level (although it is a good mid-range) device that will sell quite a few units.

Sent from my SGH-i937 Focus S using Board Express!

p.jgordon

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I really don't see the Focus Flash as a "budget" or "mid-range" phone. Aside from its price and a few differences here and there, I hold my Flash and think "How could this possibly get any better?"

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
If it had an apple on it? Joke people. The S comes on Tue. I will play with for a few days and see how it goes. P.jgordon, if that phone is that awesome for you, THEN RIGHT ON!

Mangos taste better than apples!

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I really don't see the Focus Flash as a "budget" or "mid-range" phone. Aside from its price and a few differences here and there, I hold my Flash and think "How could this possibly get any better?"

I mostly agree. The only major advantage to the Focus S that means anything to me is the storage. Most other differences are just icing for me. I would never discourage someone from getting the Flash. Very good device, and a good price.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

eh, I guess after a Moto Atrix and Focus (both comparing to a HTC Inspire), the sheer issue I notice with subpixel rendering is bothering me more than not. I'm getting a Focus S on that set of observations alone.

But, admittedly, MS has done a lot better job than Sammy/HTC/Moto/Google (moto uses RGBW Pentile, different from the SAMOLED (non "+") RGBG) has in making the Pentile subpixel rendering less noticeable. Actually, it's more of a nonissue for me on WP7 than it was on Android... Still, I have seen the Focus S in an ATT store, and the difference is enough for me (that, and it turns out I was already eligeable for an upgrade since Oct :blush:).

timGSU

Oct 6, 2006
Visit site
The Focus Flash absolutely is a "entry level" / "budget" windows phone. M$ wanted to have hardware like this available to consumers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon