Question about the camera button

JestaMcMerv

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I was really excited about picking up a new Focus S and have been waiting to take the dive into WP7 for a device with these specs.

I went to the store to buy one on Sunday but immediately found a flaw I that I haven't read about anywhere (probably due to a complete lack of reviews on the internet - a fact I find completely surprising).

When picking up the demo unit I found that just barely brushing the camera button caused it to turn on.

I know this is a feature of WP7 (a feature I really like) but I found the camera button to be very sensitive as it kept turning on by accident as I was just holding the phone normally and turned it over.

This made me think that with WP7s ability to enter the camera even while the phone is locked, that if I had the phone in my pocket while walking around that it might turn on the camera and drain the battery or take a bunch of pocket photos - something I haven't seen since the earliest of camera phone days.

Has anyone else experienced this really really sensitive camera button or it might have just been a defunct demo unit?

Also noticed the volume buttons experienced the same hyper sensitivity when barely being brushed up against.

Thanks again for any insight you guys have!

randywintle

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I was really excited about picking up a new Focus S and have been waiting to take the dive into WP7 for a device with these specs.

I went to the store to buy one on Sunday but immediately found a flaw I that I haven't read about anywhere (probably due to a complete lack of reviews on the internet - a fact I find completely surprising).

When picking up the demo unit I found that just barely brushing the camera button caused it to turn on.

I know this is a feature of WP7 (a feature I really like) but I found the camera button to be very sensitive as it kept turning on by accident as I was just holding the phone normally and turned it over.

This made me think that with WP7s ability to enter the camera even while the phone is locked, that if I had the phone in my pocket while walking around that it might turn on the camera and drain the battery or take a bunch of pocket photos - something I haven't seen since the earliest of camera phone days.

Has anyone else experienced this really really sensitive camera button or it might have just been a defunct demo unit?

Also noticed the volume buttons experienced the same hyper sensitivity when barely being brushed up against.

So, as far as sensitivity, my phone does not have that. I definitely have to mean to press these buttons.

As for the lock screen, you can enable or disable the ability to initiate the camera from the lock screen. I have mine set to prevent accidental when locked, essentially I have to hold the camera button down a bit longer and then it will enter camera mode, if my phone is locked.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
What I have noticed and reported this as a bug is if I turn off my focus then immediately touch the camera button it will turn back on. If I wait a second and a half it won't. Drove me nits for the first day I had the phone till I figured out what was happening. I carry my phone in my pocket as of now I still haven had any issues with the phone taking pictures on its own

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
My phone isn't taking pictures, but the button is incredibly sensitive to the point where I'm probably going to send it back and get either the Flash or Titan. It is making me nuts!

StriderNo9

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
After this phone, I'm never buying a Samsung phone ever again. Nokia save me. The quality of the phone isn't bad IMO, but battery issues, and camera issues are too much for me to deal. Love Windows Phone 7 OS, hate Samsung's effort here.

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It's a shame because I thought the Focus S was going to be the hero device for WP7 in 2011. That is looking more and more like it will be the Titan. I guess we'll see how that goes next week.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the hardware buttons are a bit more sensitive. I don't mind. I have yet to accidentally change the volume or activate the camera. I have locked it when trying to change volume, but that is just my fault for being used to the Quantum, and letting muscle memory fool me the first couple of days.

Sent from my SGH-i937 Focus S using Board Express!

JestaMcMerv

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site

Well I ended up picking up the phone. The one I got doesn't have a camera button nearly as sensitive as the model on display at the store. I'm going to put it through it's paces and see if it loosens up. It feels pretty solid right now.

The screen is amazing IMO.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
What I have noticed and reported this as a bug is if I turn off my focus then immediately touch the camera button it will turn back on. If I wait a second and a half it won't. Drove me nits for the first day I had the phone till I figured out what was happening. I carry my phone in my pocket as of now I still haven had any issues with the phone taking pictures on its own

Thats where I normally carry mine in my shirt pocket. I dont think pocket pics will be a problem. When I dont have on a shirt with a pocket I have vertical flap over case for the focus its almost too small for the focus so I may have to get another larger care from somewhere with the s.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss