Charging issues

trakman

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if any of you are having charging issues? Every night I plug my phone into charge. I noticed that my phone will only charge to 98% when checking under battery saver under setting. Also, my battery indicator indicates charging. I will leave it on charger for 12 hours and it will almost never reach 100% just stays at 98%. I have only seen 100% twice on my Focus S.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Mine charges fine to 100%. I did notice that the charging plug came with a 0.7a output plug where as most devices these days have an output of 1.0. I plugged it in to a 1.0a plug and the charging does seem a bit quicker.

trakman

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So, my phone finally hit 100% and indicated it was fully charged. I checked back 1 hour later and it was showing charging again and was at 98%. Just wanted to verify that no one else is having this problem. If so, going to have to bring it in and get another phone.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
So, my phone finally hit 100% and indicated it was fully charged. I checked back 1 hour later and it was showing charging again and was at 98%. Just wanted to verify that no one else is having this problem. If so, going to have to bring it in and get another phone.
I am considering swapping my device out for a replacement too, but I would never consider the problem you have described big enough to get a new one.

Sent from my SGH-i937 Focus S using Board Express!

trakman

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Well I contacted Samsung. No questions asked they told me to send the device in or have it replaced at the ATT store. I just sent it in, hopefully they'll find the problem. I didnt want a new device either. I was debating on the new one because I was leaving town this week.

blurredvision

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I am considering swapping my device out for a replacement too, but I would never consider the problem you have described big enough to get a new one.

Sent from my SGH-i937 Focus S using Board Express!

If the battery will not charge to 100%, that means a possibly faulty battery that will cause headaches down the road. Replace now instead of later.

As for me, I've not seen this issue. My battery does take quite a long time to charge but it always gets full and stays full until I unplug it. I should note that my judgment of "quite a long time" is in comparison with my old iPhone 4. That thing would charge quick as lightning but the Focus S seems to take at least 100% longer to charge, based on the percentage of battery.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Well I contacted Samsung. No questions asked they told me to send the device in or have it replaced at the ATT store. I just sent it in, hopefully they'll find the problem. I didnt want a new device either. I was debating on the new one because I was leaving town this week.

I don't know how accurate the battery monitor is on any phone + or - 2% seems reasonable. Normally if you send your phone in they send you a refurbished phone back. Yours is new, and there may not be any refurbished phones available, so you may just get a new one.

trakman

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how accurate the battery monitor is on any phone + or - 2% seems reasonable. Normally if you send your phone in they send you a refurbished phone back. Yours is new, and there may not be any refurbished phones available, so you may just get a new one.

FYI, when I contacted Samsung. They stated that they would repair the phone and send it back. They are not replacing or exchanging it, but if I get a new phone I wont compaint. As for the problem. Tech support says there is a problem with the phone or battery or charger.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
FYI, when I contacted Samsung. They stated that they would repair the phone and send it back. They are not replacing or exchanging it, but if I get a new phone I wont compaint. As for the problem. Tech support says there is a problem with the phone or battery or charger.

Let us know what happens since it's a new phone. It will be interesting to find out.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I would suggest that if you are having charging problems that you try a wall charger thats corded with the microusb male end as opposed to the usb cable into the oem plug in. Thats what I use on my focus and it seems to charge faster that way. I have a car charger with a usb cable, and a wall charger at home andd a usb cable to connect to my laptop at the office so I really dont worry much about battery life. Its a practice I have used since my days with the npocket pc. Assuming that I get the focus s I will be on the lookout for a cradle for the s.

trakman

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest that if you are having charging problems that you try a wall charger thats corded with the microusb male end as opposed to the usb cable into the oem plug in. Thats what I use on my focus and it seems to charge faster that way. I have a car charger with a usb cable, and a wall charger at home andd a usb cable to connect to my laptop at the office so I really dont worry much about battery life. Its a practice I have used since my days with the npocket pc. Assuming that I get the focus s I will be on the lookout for a cradle for the s.

I have tried three different chargers and also tried using my usb ports and different cables as well. They all come to the same conclusion, stops charging at 98% or reaches 100 percent and drops back down to 98% and stays there. I am just happy that Samsung will take care of it and not call it operator error.

Zambowie

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Charging Issues

I received my Focus S yesterday and noticed it took up to 3 hours to charge fully. That is crazy!! It appears others are having the same issue. My iPhone took 30 minutes at best.

Let me know if there are any other solutions other than taking the phone in a swapping it out.

Zambowie

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I received my Focus S yesterday and noticed it took up to 3 hours to charge fully. That is crazy!! It appears others are having the same issue. My iPhone took 30 minutes at best.

Let me know if there are any other solutions other than taking the phone in a swapping it out.
BTW - that is with the wall charger.

leakAddict

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't timed it, but my S seems to be taking an extremely long time to charge. I really hope there's a fix for this. Also, I had it plugged into a USB port in my car and it charged fine until I started playing Words by Post. Even though it was still charging, for some reason the battery level was going down.

I really hope Samsung is aware of the charging issues we seem to be facing

slpaige

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I just got this phone from Amazon wireless with the penny deal. You guys are making me nervous about it and I haven't even received it yet. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon