The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-19-2011 05:55 PM
32 12
tools
    I also went by the AT&T store last night to test out a Focus S using my wired headset. Audio quality was excellent, actually had more bass and a fuller sound than either my Zune HD and my Focus rev. 1.3. Also changed tracks with 30 second zune clips streamed over 3G+. No popping whatsover. May be that a batch of phones has an issue. If it's bad enough, make sure to take it back to AT&T within the first 30 days and get a replacement unit.
    Nope. No issues at all with the Titan connected to the same stereo with the same jack.
    Noticed no issues on the HTC trophy either. Also, was a lot LOT higher gain. About 1/3 louder.
    11-22-2011 07:11 PM
    Well, I verified via repeated testing that this phone has an issue with pop noises only when connected to an amplified system. In other words, connected to powered speakers, car stereo, etc. I used three different sets of headphones, and no popping occurred. It didn't matter which powered source I connected, it always popped in those instances.

I returned the phone because of this issue. Samsung does not have a great track record of fixing issues with devices they have already released.
    11-22-2011 08:06 PM
    I've read that using a bluetooth headset can negate the popping noise. Does anyone know how using a bluetooth headset would affect battery life on the phone (with having bluetooth turned on all the time)? I don't mind charging during the day if needed, but I've seen the posts here in the forum regarding the slow charge issues which makes me a bit concerned.
    11-25-2011 07:55 AM
    I just got my Focus S last week and haven't noticed any popping/crackling or audio issues. I've used the headphones that came with it and the volume and pause controls work just fine. I've used Zune and Slacker for music. I haven't tried it connected to my wife's car yet. My car doesn't have an audio jack or bluetooth connection.

Maybe it's a quality issue that they have fixed on the newer phones.
    11-29-2011 12:13 PM
    I was getting the same popping noise listening through the auxilary audio port in my car, then the issue seemed to disappear.

I rebooted my phone today and the popping returned.
    11-29-2011 12:35 PM
    I have a theory on this, haven't tried yet.

Focus S has problems with the earbuds controls, it's virtually impossible to jump forward (2 clicks) or back (3 clicks), it's not reliable to pause/resume either. All these signals are transmitted through the last 2 contact rings on the TRRS connector, I think those 2 rings of the jack on Focus S are problematic.

Meanwhile, the popping noise only happens on AUX port (TRS) but not on earbuds/headphones (TRRS). I'm guessing, the noise might be caused by the last 2 rings when AUX connector is actually contacting 2 rings of the jack. Remember those 4 conduct to 3 conduct adapters (like this one)? I thought they were useless since TRS connector usually are fine in TRRS jacks, but this time it MIGHT prevent the popping sound if I'm right on this.
    Last edited by bkydcmpr; 11-30-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    11-30-2011 12:49 PM
    It doesn't help, I bought one of these cables cause it was driving me nuts and it does the exact same thing.
    12-19-2011 05:55 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD