Why I'm keeping this phone

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have been wanting a WP7 with a good rear camera and a FFC since I got the original Focus. When I saw the announcements for the Titan and later the Focus S, I wasn't sure which one I would get. Then the Nokias were announced, but they ended up being a bag of fail (no FFC and smaller screen) that wasn't even available in the U.S.

The Focus S was released first, so I bought it. I'm an impatient person. The Titan has been announced, but I'm not interested and the Focus S seems to be the phone I've been looking for. This is why:

1) The camera is good. I have seen others say differently. I have read the comments "barely better than the original Focus" and I have seen people refer to it as "disappointing", but this is not my experience. I have yet to take a bad picture with this camera. It might not be quite as good as the SG2, but I suspect a software upgrade can fix that.

2) The form factor is just right. For me, the Titan would be way too big. I don't need to hold one to determine this. I have seen video of it next to the Focus S and I have owned an Inspire 4g (similar construction and actually smaller) and I know that with my hands it won't work.

3) There isn't anything better. The Focus S checks all of the boxes for me (WP7, good camera, FFC, good screen) and maybe the Nokia phones will be nice, but they're months away. The data I have seen on the Titan suggests that the camera is pretty disappointing. And I alread know the size won't work for me. Battery life on my Focus S has been amazing.

Despite what I have read and heard, I think this is a good phone. I have no issues with the build quality. It's nice having a light phone. And the buttons don't get in my way. I'm tired of andriod phones and their battery drain and iOS is boring to me.

That's my rant. I felt it necessary to post this with all of the negative feedback going around and people saying they are taking their phone back.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The Titan is actually about has heavy as the Inspire (which I also had before).

So if you feel that is too heavy for comfortable use, then yeah...

The camera is really nice outdoors, indoors, probably limited by aperature size, but not a dealbreaker, IMO.

Also, this phone passes the "squeak test," :p

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, if the camera is truly better than the Titan (I've seen conflicting reports/tests), then I'd def go with the Focus S. If I'm going to trade up from my original Focus (which IMO has a great camera for being older hardware), then the camera is gonna have to be straight.

The thing that I worry about with the S is the laggy keyboard reports. I can get over the plasticy build, but don't think I could get past that.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I love my Focus S for the most part but I have a couple of deal breakers that is going to force me to return it tomorrow for the Titan. The deal breakers for me is the 4G reception at my work and house is lousy and the laggy keyboard is annoying me a lot. If the reception was better I could likely live with the keyboard lag as I think that will get fixed in an update. I think the Focus S is a fine piece of hardware and is getting great reviews so I can see why you are keeping it.

armedtank

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence about returning the Focus S myself. I've had it for about 3 days now and I just cannot text fast enough with the device. There's some sort of strange lag with the keyboard that doesn't happen every time but often enough to be annoying.

Also, how do you guys send a text without hitting that friggin camera button, you almost can't grip this phone at the bottom because of the button placement.

Otherwise the phone is very good and I'm really enjoying the simplicity of WM7, so I would love to talk myself into keeping it.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I dunno, though my hands are rather large (8.5" spread out from pinky tip to thumb tip), so I just cradle my phone in my fingers.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the fence about returning the Focus S myself. I've had it for about 3 days now and I just cannot text fast enough with the device. There's some sort of strange lag with the keyboard that doesn't happen every time but often enough to be annoying.

Also, how do you guys send a text without hitting that friggin camera button, you almost can't grip this phone at the bottom because of the button placement.

Otherwise the phone is very good and I'm really enjoying the simplicity of WM7, so I would love to talk myself into keeping it.

I have learned to simply space my fingers AROUND the camera key when I hold it. It's natural now. I would rather have a dedicated camera button than not and I'd rather have on that protrudes than the kind of buttons HTC uses that are so flush that you can barely press them when you want to.

armedtank

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
thanks guys, maybe I just need to adjust my technique because I do like the phone alot and I'm sure there will be firmware updates soon enough. Even though I'm a diehard Android guy, this phone has me wondering why I didn't try WM7 alot sooner.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The buttons on the Focus S are in the same position as the Focus.
So I do not really see how people can be accidentally hitting the camera button, and a lot of people are complaining about it.

Maybe somebody can take a picture of them holding their phone and how they can accidentally be close to pressing the button, and then I can tell you how to not do that....

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The buttons on the Focus S are in the same position as the Focus.
So I do not really see how people can be accidentally hitting the camera button, and a lot of people are complaining about it.

Maybe somebody can take a picture of them holding their phone and how they can accidentally be close to pressing the button, and then I can tell you how to not do that....

Camera button on the Focus S protrudes, Focus, not as much. Though I have never (and yes... never) accidentally started the camera up before. Even when pulling out of my pocket, or any other condition.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
No doubt its a killer device with an AWESOME screen, but the keyboard and camera button were deal breakers. The audio popping on track transitions in the Zune player bothered me as well.

ATT stores didn't have the Titan in my area, so I couldn't play with it today.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have just swapped my Flash for the S. I hope I don't regret it.

The Titan is way beyond acceptable in size for me. I have large enough hands, it's the typing issues that turn me off. I expect to type with a single hand, single thumb. This is just about maxed out with a 4.3" screen. I have played with some of the 4.5" devices and it really becomes an issue at that screen size. The Titan will have a 4.7" screen so it is an automatic no from me.

Now I just need to find a decent case for the S and I think I'll be happy for a few months.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
They had a Galaxy IIS next to the Focus S and I swear they looked exactly the same in size. Perhaps you can buy a case made for the Galaxy II. I'm sure there are a ton of those around.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I am thinking seriously about getting the s on Saturday I am hoping to be able to get the same deal in the ATT store here if I can otherwise I'll order it as long as I can indeed keep my unlimited data plan which is grandfathered.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
They had a Galaxy IIS next to the Focus S and I swear they looked exactly the same in size. Perhaps you can buy a case made for the Galaxy II. I'm sure there are a ton of those around.

I had a Galaxy S II prior to buying the Flash. The GSII buttons are in totally different locations. I imagine it would be possible to modify a GSII case, but I don't really want to go that route.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
^^^not to mention, the camera is differently positioned on he galaxy s2 (at least the international version).

+_+_+_+__+_+~+~~+_+~+_

Well, if it helps, current 4.5" displays like the HTC vivid use a 16:9 display ratio, so they are only as wide as a 4.3" 800:480 display, just taller :) comparing a HTC vivid directly to my phone and an inspire 4g.
Well, I have just swapped my Flash for the S. I hope I don't regret it.

The Titan is way beyond acceptable in size for me. I have large enough hands, it's the typing issues that turn me off. I expect to type with a single hand, single thumb. This is just about maxed out with a 4.3" screen. I have played with some of the 4.5" devices and it really becomes an issue at that screen size. The Titan will have a 4.7" screen so it is an automatic no from me.

Now I just need to find a decent case for the S and I think I'll be happy for a few months.
~+_+__+_+~=_-_+

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
^^^not to mention, the camera is differently positioned on he galaxy s2 (at least the international version).

+_+_+_+__+_+~+~~+_+~+_

Well, if it helps, current 4.5" displays like the HTC vivid use a 16:9 display ratio, so they are only as wide as a 4.3" 800:480 display, just taller :) comparing a HTC vivid directly to my phone and an inspire 4g.
~+_+__+_+~=_-_+

Yes, I did compare the S to the Vivid and SII Skyrocket. The 4.5" were slightly wider and a bit taller. As I mentioned, 4.3" seems to be my limit. In addition, the issues I have had with my HD7s GPS gives me pause to buying another HTC phone. The Flash, and the S, have stellar GPS performance. That is an extremely important aspect of a smartphone for me.

Let's see if this can make it past a week, the Flash lasted exactly that long for me. Honestly, if this device doesn't work out, I'll just use my HD7s for a couple more months.

armedtank

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I had a look at the Titan today and i've decided to keep my Focus S. The Titan screen wasn't nearly as bad as I thought but comparing the phone to my Focus S, I just couldn't make the switch. The titan feels alot more solid, and the size didn't bother me so much but since I'm getting the Nexus on my VZW account when it drops I just didn't feel the need for 2 phones with screens > 4.6". I'm sure the next version of WP will support better resolution on larger screens and I'll make the jump then.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
No Titan at my ATT store they are supposed to get them in but they dont know when. I think that the Titan may be too heavy for me after the focus has been the best phone and I thought the quantum and the surround were too heavy. Its probably the focus s for me. Amazon has the same deal right now for a penny I want to make sure I can keep my unltd data plan. If I cant with amazon I guess i''l wait until Saturday and get on line with ATT and order it. I want to confirm with ATT that I can order and still keep my umlimited data plan as well!

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
No doubt its a killer device with an AWESOME screen, but the keyboard and camera button were deal breakers. The audio popping on track transitions in the Zune player bothered me as well.

ATT stores didn't have the Titan in my area, so I couldn't play with it today.

Totally agree. My AT&T store had a Titan, so I swapped. The two biggest issues were:
1) taking pictures in my pocket
2) audio popping between songs

I couldn't live with the above issues, which are just products of cheap and haphazard construction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720