Does anyone have a Focus S with audio problems

pforlini

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have a Focus S WITHOUT audio problems

I think this audio problems need to be addressed. I was thinking about switching to the Titan, but I couldn't bring myself to lose the amoled screen and thinness of the focus s. honestly i think the device is amazing, my only issue is with the popping noise and the fact the earbud controller does not work.

what I am trying to figure out in this thread is if anyone has gotten any information regarding the audio issues from either att or samsung. I tried contacting samsung and the idiots over there told me to restart my phone. I ask that those of you with problems also contact att and samsung to help bring light to the issue.

more importantly i am trying to determine if there is anyone out there with a focus s that does not have these issues. if it is something that has been fixed with newer batches then i will just exchange my phone.

this should also be made a sticky as this is one of the major issues with the phone.

Last edited:

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the audio popping issue. The earbud controller works perfectly.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
When you say it works perfectly, you are saying that you can pause/play/next track/previous track?

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
When you say it works perfectly, you are saying that you can pause/play/next track/previous track?

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Oh, I have yet to try that. I was thinking in terms of phone calls. I can answer calls, initiate speech to text, etc, easily with the controller.

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
A buddy of mine got his on launch day and uses his phone to play his music on our stereo via 3.5mm jack and we haven't noticed any popping. He also hasn't complained to me about it outside of work either. He never used the headphones that came with the phone but did not have any issues with his Klipsch S4i while listening to music.

What I did notice however, was his speakerphone volume was way lower than mine. His max volume was equivalent to maybe 19-20 on my original Focus. We tried all the same apps to compare like Slacker, EasyTube, even had some of the same songs in our music folder.

Let's hope that a simple patch would alleviate this minor annoyance.

reevesmjr

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Audio problem gone

I was getting the popping noise using the auxilary audio port in my car, but it seems to have gone away for me. I haven't changed any settings. I did put a tough case on it. I'll have to remove it and see if it comes back.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
i have the same issues, the popping is intermittent, which seems like it could be a software issue that can be fixed with an update.

the headphone control issue seems more troubling to me, as it almost seems like a hardware problem.

if samsung/att doesn't get on this i may have to switch to a titan, which i don't really want to do, because regardless of what many people seem to say, it doesn't have as nice of a screen as the focus s to me.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
i have the same issues, the popping is intermittent, which seems like it could be a software issue that can be fixed with an update.

the headphone control issue seems more troubling to me, as it almost seems like a hardware problem.

if samsung/att doesn't get on this i may have to switch to a titan, which i don't really want to do, because regardless of what many people seem to say, it doesn't have as nice of a screen as the focus s to me.

Many? Vocal few sounds about right to me :p

Ach, I'm also in the "SAMOLED+ is neat, and preferable to S-LCD," group :) (having now seen the Titan in person, along with a HTC Vivid (for comparison)).

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I switched to the Titan because of the controller issue. I use my phone for music all the time, and it's an unforgivable bug for me. I will say the build quality of the Titan is way ahead of the Focus S. I actually think the original Focus was more durable. My Focus S was already showing wear signs on the back. However, my opinion is that the screen of the Titan is no where close to the Focus S. Blacks are closer to gray :(

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm walking into AT&T to return my Focus S today. Some issues, like the audio hiss, I can live with. I've had plenty of bad audio sources to begin with. A few, like the Auto Intensity, and dissappearing KB, were corrected. However, others, including, but not limited to, button positioning (hard to figure out which button is which quickly, in a pocket), the phone not allowing a mic-less headset from being utilized in a phone call (never had this problem, even on an iPhone, several Android phones, and an old Focus), and the 50/50 chance of getting severe lag+stuttering while the phone was charging, eventually convinced me.

TBH, I was already trying to convince myself to keep it. I really loved the AMOLED on the old Focus - the way the screen was built on that, it made it seem like a clean, black slate that simply "lighted up" with typography and imagery where present, however, the new Focus S, the screen is very distinct from the rest of the phone, even while off. However, the inability to hook this up to my car stereo via 3.5mm AUX and use my phone's mic + car stereo system to place/recieve phone calls... was the real killer that prevented me from truely accepeting this phone. I'm either going to go back to the old Focus, or *maybe* pick up a Titan. I dunno, this phone has been rather dissappointing for me, despite all of it's technical wins :(

Sorry.

pforlini

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
IS there anyone out there with a focus S without the popping noise and controller issue. I am going to try to exchange my phone and see if a newer batch has the same issues. I looked at the Titan and I really couldn't give up the AMoled screen. Despite the plastic build of the Focus S I would consider it to have greater build quality of the Titan. I my opinion the Titan does looks sloppily designed when you look at the details. I have been using the Focus S for almost a month now, and my only real issue is the audio, and that is only because I listen to a lot of music.

edboogie78

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree, the audio bugs are a major let down for me. Everytime I think about it, it frustrates me to no end. I constantly think about switching to a Titan, but the phone is big, the photo and video quality, in my opinion, is behind compared to the Focus S and the screen really doesn't compare. I have one more week before my 30 day window ends. Thankfully I bought my mom a Titan for a penny. I'll have sometime to compare and make my final decision.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Last edited:

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I use the apple earbuds and I have no popping noises. But then I got the phone two days ago.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

davidkhou

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I discovered that I have the audio problem as well. There's two problems that I see the first is the static between tracks, which only occurs when switching tracks and the audio signal (whether music on device, or via streaming like Slacker) goes through an amplified source as has been discussed (no problem with ear buds). Not a huge problem for me though since I don't use the phone that much for music in the car (have a zune for that!).T he other is that there is a very slight background hiss when using headphones when first plugged in.

If Samsung could just release a patch for this and the lag problem, the phone would be perfect!

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the track changing problem (I suppose everyone does?) and hope they fix that. It worked fine in my original Focus.

No hissing or track noises for me though

EDIT: ALSO does anyone else have people complaining about reverb on their end when using the speakerphone?

Every caller hears themselves like a feedback sound when I have them on speaker, can anyone check this please?

I'm considering sending the phone back for replacement unless it is a design flaw with speaker being so close to Mic?

thanks!

Last edited:

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Just realized that the keyboard lag doesn't really happen when I have headphones plugged in. I really hope they fix this, because typing full speed is awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)