Does anyone have a Focus S with audio problems

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: ALSO does anyone else have people complaining about reverb on their end when using the speakerphone?

Every caller hears themselves like a feedback sound when I have them on speaker, can anyone check this please?

I'm considering sending the phone back for replacement unless it is a design flaw with speaker being so close to Mic?

thanks!

update... exchanged for new Focus S and the speaker reverb issue is mostly gone. Still a little feedback on caller's ends in speakerphone but not as bad. Still feel the speaker is too close to the mic but my original seems to have been faulty compared to this one

E-werd

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Just realized that the keyboard lag doesn't really happen when I have headphones plugged in. I really hope they fix this, because typing full speed is awesome.

People have been complaining about this, but it's only a visual lag. I type full speed and it keeps up. It doesn't appear to be at first, but the whole message shows. It's only a cosmetic annoyance, not an actual issue.

Jerryzkidz

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
for anyone with the audio playback control problem, have you tried other oem brand headphones? i bought some htc oem headphones on ebay for an hd7s i had (which ironically they didn't work properly for?) and they worked great on the original focus (volume up/down, center button play/pause, double click next track, even triple click to previous!). Not all headphones are the same, if you look at the tip, some have different contact point thingies.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, alot of headphone controls work great on the original focus. On the focus s, the subject of this thread, I tried the oem headset, the focus headset, dr dre beats, and an iPhone headset. None worked with the focus s. All but the iPhone headset worked with the focus; I didn't try the iPhone headset with the focus so I can't comment on that.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

PFPulse

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
So as to the audio popping issue. I use my focus in my car a lot plugged in through the Aux jack. The hiss and popping sound is likely caused by a ground loop. If it bothers you a lot, you can get a ground loop isolator for a few bucks at Radio Shack. I had one in my old car for my sat. radio and it worked fine. Why it is popping is because the phone apparently shuts off the jack when no audio is activly being played and apparently this happens between tracks. Once audio is playing it is fine. I get the same exact feedback loop with the phone not plugged in. The pop is the switch over from playing this feedback loop to not when it only shuts off the jack for a second between tracks. The software fix would be to always keep the jack active when it has a connection, but I'm not sure if that requires power and would be a big hit to the battery. So I wouldn't hold my breath on them fixing it. It doesn't happen during actual playback or if using headphones so it doesn't bother me at all, but just wanted to let everyone know what I was able to figure out. But as I said, if it really bugs you, head to Radio Shack or Amazon and find a ground loop isolator, it will likely not totally eliminate the issue, but it will probably reduce it. Looking at Amazon, they are about 10-15 bucks.

anon(236746)

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Listened to an album in the car from my Focus S tonight.

AHH! IT POPS BETWEEN EVERY FREAKING TRACK!

Sorry, I'm not an all-caps type of person, but this is pretty inexcusable. Someone should have caught and fixed this before it shipped. Tracks blend together like it's 1997 all over again...

ram020178

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue of popping and clipping noise not just in between traks, but also when connected or recing a call or doing anything that produces sound. As PFPulse rightly pointed out that it is a grounding issue. I also think it has something to do with the hardware output port provided at the phone end. Looks it uses TS and not TRS. Samsung badly needs to work on this one.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The audio issue I have had is when playing games. Listening to music via the Zune hub plays just fine. But, when I launch a game, only the music can be heard. SoundFX is so faint, if I disable music in the game, turn the phone volume all the way to 25/30, I can hear the SoundFX.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So as to the audio popping issue. I use my focus in my car a lot plugged in through the Aux jack. The hiss and popping sound is likely caused by a ground loop. If it bothers you a lot, you can get a ground loop isolator for a few bucks at Radio Shack. I had one in my old car for my sat. radio and it worked fine. Why it is popping is because the phone apparently shuts off the jack when no audio is activly being played and apparently this happens between tracks. Once audio is playing it is fine. I get the same exact feedback loop with the phone not plugged in. The pop is the switch over from playing this feedback loop to not when it only shuts off the jack for a second between tracks. The software fix would be to always keep the jack active when it has a connection, but I'm not sure if that requires power and would be a big hit to the battery. So I wouldn't hold my breath on them fixing it. It doesn't happen during actual playback or if using headphones so it doesn't bother me at all, but just wanted to let everyone know what I was able to figure out. But as I said, if it really bugs you, head to Radio Shack or Amazon and find a ground loop isolator, it will likely not totally eliminate the issue, but it will probably reduce it. Looking at Amazon, they are about 10-15 bucks.

Thank you for posting this. A great explanation of the audio pops along with a logical solution.

pforlini

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
ok, i was at a friend's house and i tried the erphones that came with his galaxy nexus. turns out the controls for that one actually work on the focus s. however. just keep in mind they are single button control. pause, play, next track, and previous track commands all work perfectly. you dont have to do a stupid long press as with the focus s headset. so basically i think any of the single button controllers will work. the obvious trade off is that a single button controller will not control the volume, but in return you will gain proper control over pause/play functionality.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Just for the sake of info, the single button controller on a dr dre studio headphone works the same as the stock headset, i.e. works about 10% of the time.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
good to know about the headphones but I currently have 3 sets of Samsungs and no others... guess I will shop for a pair as volume I do not need to wake phone as I do for track changing.

MY sets all work for play/pause volume it is just skip track and back that do not work

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It's funny reading the Focus S and Titan boards. A lot of Focus S owners are complaining and switching to the Titan and a lot of Titan owners are complaining and switching to the Focus S. There is no perfect Windows Phone at the moment. Each has its own little set of issues. You just have to decide which little issues you can live with.

stevenriz

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My Focus S also has the popping between tracks. My old Blackberry never did this! I will either keep the blackberry for music only or replace the Focus S with something else. My other issue is with Outlook configured with my Exchange 2003. The bug cuts off or truncates the entire email when replying or forwarding http://www.windowscentral.com/exchange-2003-issues-identified-wp-7-5 This one might be a deal breaker for me. Upgrading an email system isn't like installing Word. it's time comsuming and could be expensive if you decide to replace hardware. Otherwise I LOVE the phone and the screen especially. Battery life isn't great but like the previous post, every phone will have its issues. You just need to decide what you can live with/without.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I think the Titan screen looks better than the Focus S. I used both for a good long time and I think the S-LCD wins out.
That was me too invertme, I thought i could never go non Super Amoled again after having my Omnia 7.

Not dissappointed at all with the Titan's SLCD screen, absolutely love it, and won't suffer from the dreaded screen burn in I got with my Omnia's amoled.

chaseerry

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the audio hissing/popping as well. It's especially noticeable between tracks in the car when plugged in to the AUX input. Really hoping this is not a hardware issue and can be fixed with software. But when!?

I?ve notified Samsung of this issue and they said they have had no other incidents reported for the Focus S. Then they wanted me to perform a full reset on the phone to see if that fixed it. I told them no thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos