Focus S or HTC Titan

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I was in an AT&T a couple days ago. I was looking at the focus S. It did look a little dim but that is something I can live with. While reading on the the forum it appears that the big problem is the audio jack. I can't decide between the Titan and the focus s. Please help. I am also a big video user YouTube and the like. Also I do drop the phone at times so I would like gorilla glass.

Last edited:

edboogie78

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The focus s is bright enough. Just set the intensity to off in the extra settings and turn auto brightness off in the brightness settings. Yes there is a problem with the audio jack with the focus s. For me it doesn't get loud enough and there is a popping noise when switching tracks when connected to a car audio or speakers but, it doesn't happen when using headphones or Bluetooth. Also its been confirmed that the titan does not have gorilla glass. Hope this helps :)

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

edboogie78

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
For watching videos - both screens do a good job. I had them side by side. The focus s is more crisp and it has more color saturation , but I found myself eyeballing the titans screen more when watching a video side by side.

JasonG83

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I was 100% ready to buy a Titan, because I prefer the aluminum design, until I listened to the audio sample on the CNET review (HTC Titan Review - Watch CNET's Video Review). It is unintelligible. No matter what bells and whistles a phone has, at its core, it still has to perform well as a phone. Imagine being on a business conference call with that kind of quality. Or try doing a phone interview for a job. Deal breaker.

I don't understand why more people aren't talking about this as a MAJOR problem with the Titan. All of the reviews mention poor call quality, but only in passing, and they still give the phone a good review. None of the head to head comparisons I have seen have highlighted this, despite the fact that Samsung call quality is 100x better.

My .02

Maziar.a

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about Cnet but I've read many reviews and most of them were positive about the call quality(Check out gsmarena and phonearena reviews for example)

It's kinda strange though because aside from Cnet,I haven't heard anyone in this forum or XDA having such issue.

JasonG83

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
In my experience with HTC phones, the call quality has always been an issue (although it seems like the Titan is especially bad). However, maybe I am just more unforgiving than most on this particular issue.

spd_rcr

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the 'echo-cancellation' turned on and my wife says all my calls are nice and clear now. I was having some bad echo's with my previous Motorola Atrix 2, but I can't comment on the Titan.

Someone had mentioned that the Titan doesn't have Gorilla glass ? I'm sure Gorilla glass is trademarked, so maybe HTC is using an off-brand version ? I can't imagine having a screen that large and it not being some sort of reinforced glass.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
For those who may come here that are still on the fence on which device to grab, I am fortunate enough to have both: I use the "S", my Wife the Titan. And here is a list for your consideration: I will list the characteristic, and each devices performance in my opinion.

Screen: The S is just a vibrant, amazing screen. You would expect this from Samsung. The live tiles explode off the screen, and do a great job of presentations. The Titan is just exceptional for Movie watching and is no slouch. I prefer the "S", but in all fairness this is a push due to personal preference.

Response: The S is just seamless. Whether scrolling, changing screens, loading up pages, running apps, there has been no hesitation in the least. The Titan is great, but my Wife and I both have seen the Titan lagging behind the "S" when we load up similar commands, and this is in spite of a slightly larger processor. Score this one for the "S".

Camera: Not even close. The Titans reproduction, shutter speed, extras, modes and editing is all superior to the "S".

Call Quality: Neither is bad, but the "S" is clearer.

Reception: Actually, the Titan has better bars and reception. The "S" doesn't drop anything, but the Titan is stronger.

HUBs: HTC is much more polished than the Samsung offering. I just deleted the Samsung Hub, my wife still uses the HTC.

Build: I love my "S". It is solid and the backing gives it a better grip than the Titan. But that aluminum build is great.

Size: Umm, it is called the Titan. Duh.

Maziar.a

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
For those who may come here that are still on the fence on which device to grab, I am fortunate enough to have both: I use the "S", my Wife the Titan. And here is a list for your consideration: I will list the characteristic, and each devices performance in my opinion.

Screen: The S is just a vibrant, amazing screen. You would expect this from Samsung. The live tiles explode off the screen, and do a great job of presentations. The Titan is just exceptional for Movie watching and is no slouch. I prefer the "S", but in all fairness this is a push due to personal preference.

Response: The S is just seamless. Whether scrolling, changing screens, loading up pages, running apps, there has been no hesitation in the least. The Titan is great, but my Wife and I both have seen the Titan lagging behind the "S" when we load up similar commands, and this is in spite of a slightly larger processor. Score this one for the "S".

Camera: Not even close. The Titans reproduction, shutter speed, extras, modes and editing is all superior to the "S".

Reception: Actually, the Titan has better bars and reception. The "S" doesn't drop anything, but the Titan is stronger.

HUBs: HTC is much more polished than the Samsung offering. I just deleted the Samsung Hub, my wife still uses the HTC.

Build: I love my "S". It is solid and the backing gives it a better grip than the Titan. But that aluminum build is great.

Great comparison,thanks :)
it strange that Titan is lagging though,its got a faster CPU.....

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
In my experience with pc's its the RAM or random access memory that makes all the difference in speed on the pc. So a person may have a slow CPU but lots of ram their computer could be faster than someone with a faster CPU. So the S probably has more RAM than the Titan.

Maziar.a

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
In my experience with pc's its the RAM or random access memory that makes all the difference in speed on the pc. So a person may have a slow CPU but lots of ram their computer could be faster than someone with a faster CPU. So the S probably has more RAM than the Titan.

They both have 512MB RAM

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

What's your basis for saying that the Titan's photo quality is better? Every review I have seen, including Phonearena, pain the Titan photo quality as disappointing. My Focus S takes pictures that look every bit as good as my Galaxy S2 and on par with my iPhone 4s. I have yet to see any evidence that the Titan produces good pictures.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
What's your basis for saying that the Titan's photo quality is better? Every review I have seen, including Phonearena, pain the Titan photo quality as disappointing. My Focus S takes pictures that look every bit as good as my Galaxy S2 and on par with my iPhone 4s. I have yet to see any evidence that the Titan produces good pictures.
Just our opinion from having both devices right here. First, a little background: I am not a huge photo enthusiast, but my wife is. She is a huge into crafts, and uploads to websites and reproduces photos a lot. That made a camera the single most important item to her on a device.

What we have seen is that the Titan is quicker on the shutter speed. This is simple to verify: go to an AT&T store, hit both buttons. My "S" takes a second longer to take the picture. The Titan is quick and seamless. She loves the outdoor replications on the "S"- in bright settings it is a great response. Indoor photos are not as crisp in detail. The Titan does a very good job at both. When you start adjusting for Macro settings (smaller pictures, more details) is where the Titan really shines. It reproduces extremely well.

Add in the burst photo option (hit the button once, it takes 5 photos to allow you to pick the best one), the outstanding panorama settings, more edit options, and it is an easy win. I am not saying the "S" is a poor camera. It is a good one for simple photos. The Titan is just an outstanding camera.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Just our opinion from having both devices right here. First, a little background: I am not a huge photo enthusiast, but my wife is. She is a huge into crafts, and uploads to websites and reproduces photos a lot. That made a camera the single most important item to her on a device.

What we have seen is that the Titan is quicker on the shutter speed. This is simple to verify: go to an AT&T store, hit both buttons. My "S" takes a second longer to take the picture. The Titan is quick and seamless. She loves the outdoor replications on the "S"- in bright settings it is a great response. Indoor photos are not as crisp in detail. The Titan does a very good job at both. When you start adjusting for Macro settings (smaller pictures, more details) is where the Titan really shines. It reproduces extremely well.

Add in the burst photo option (hit the button once, it takes 5 photos to allow you to pick the best one), the outstanding panorama settings, more edit options, and it is an easy win. I am not saying the "S" is a poor camera. It is a good one for simple photos. The Titan is just an outstanding camera.

This. Its all about those extra settings & low light pictures. Outside in good lighting, both cameras seem to be pretty on par with each other. But the Titan has a backlit sensor, f/2.2 & is wide angle. So indoor shots will almost always go to the Titan. Most times you won't even have to use a flash, which is a good thing because flashes on cell phone cameras are mostly terrible & will completely blowout your subject almost every time.

If the outstanding panorama, burst mode & low light sensor is something you simply must have, then go with Titan. Other than that, Samsung's camera is pretty top notch too.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
After almost a week with the titan, I'm really liking it. Build quality, HTC apps, size, everything is better than the focus s, except for one thing: screen. I just love the blacks on the samoled screen. Plus, the degradation of the titan screen when scrolling is bad. I probably wouldn't notice these things if I hadn't been using the focus and focus s for the last year.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I have had both for a few days now an I still can not decide. They both have pros and cons. I really feel like the Titan is just a tad too big but I like screen space, colors and brightness, able to use white theme, led notifications, good quick camera, button layout, call and speaker quality...

Focus is so much more comfortable to use with one hand and light as a feather. More saturated colors, easy, responsive buttons and good Samsung custom features. Only big drawback to me so far is the speaker at the bototm of the phone (Focus was at top) is that speaker phone creates echo for the person on the other end when they speak!

I think it is vibration of the speaker so close to the mic but everyone that I call on speaker complains about it,... anyone else find this out yet?

edboogie78

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have both at home and I must say the titan's audio makes the focus s sound like an old cassette player. The video recording on the focus s is much smoother though. Overall the focus s has the edge. Screen, size,video capture, but the sound is a major drawback. Eye candy vs ear candy. It's hard to pick.

tn_friend

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have owned both and I must say that I think the Focus S is the better of the two. The screen is amazing, and I like the weight and size better. It also, seems to run smoother without any lag than the Titan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb