Focus S or HTC Titan

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
What's your basis for saying that the Titan's photo quality is better? Every review I have seen, including Phonearena, pain the Titan photo quality as disappointing. My Focus S takes pictures that look every bit as good as my Galaxy S2 and on par with my iPhone 4s. I have yet to see any evidence that the Titan produces good pictures.
And to me... the user having both to his disposal is better than him comparing them to blog sites. Not saying they shouldn't be listened to, but in respects to the camera and for what him and/or his wife may use it for, the Titan wins.

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I chose the Focus S due to size and weight. The Titan had a great screen though. Impressive seeing as its LCD.

I also really liked the original Focus so a bit of brand loyalty...at least until the US Nokia comes out. Will most likely get a Nokia if it is as good as I expect it to be.

Until then I am really enjoying the Focus S.

spokanedj

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I ordered both a Focus S (which I used for about a week while waiting for the Titan), and a Titan. Previously had a Focus, currently using the Titan. Some of my comparisons

* The change of Power to the bottom for the Focus S is really nice.

* Wired plug on Focus S doesn't seem to support FF/RW double/triple clicks (Titan works fine).

* The power on the LEFT side of the Titan bugs me. When I'm driving and the power cord comes from the middle, it wraps all the way around. It is however easier to use in landscape mode when plugged in.

* Coming from a Samsung for over a year, I'm still trying to get use to the power on the top and volume on the right. I'm constantly changing volume thinking its power.

* Bluetooth Volumes on both phones seem a little low from what I remember the Focus having. It seems like my stereo is up around 25 to hear a podcast when the Focus normally would only need to be around 20.

* Headphones jack on Titan seems really loud, not necessarily in a good way.

I may exchange the Titan for a Focus S, but have another couple weeks to make that decision. If I do, it will NOT be because there is a problem with the Titan, just that I like the 4.3" form factor better.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I ordered both a Focus S (which I used for about a week while waiting for the Titan), and a Titan. Previously had a Focus, currently using the Titan. Some of my comparisons

* The change of Power to the bottom for the Focus S is really nice.

* Wired plug on Focus S doesn't seem to support FF/RW double/triple clicks (Titan works fine).

* The power on the LEFT side of the Titan bugs me. When I'm driving and the power cord comes from the middle, it wraps all the way around. It is however easier to use in landscape mode when plugged in.

* Coming from a Samsung for over a year, I'm still trying to get use to the power on the top and volume on the right. I'm constantly changing volume thinking its power.

* Bluetooth Volumes on both phones seem a little low from what I remember the Focus having. It seems like my stereo is up around 25 to hear a podcast when the Focus normally would only need to be around 20.

* Headphones jack on Titan seems really loud, not necessarily in a good way.

I may exchange the Titan for a Focus S, but have another couple weeks to make that decision. If I do, it will NOT be because there is a problem with the Titan, just that I like the 4.3" form factor better.

My same thoughts exactly while owning both

I like the lightweight as well of the Focus S but I do like the titan. I was going to pick one over the other and keep two of the same (for back up) but I like them both well enough that I think I will keep both. But titan is currently getting all the air time because I just love the screen and as you mentioned the Music controller is broken on F/S.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread other than the fact that I love my Focus S!

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
And to me... the user having both to his disposal is better than him comparing them to blog sites. Not saying they shouldn't be listened to, but in respects to the camera and for what him and/or his wife may use it for, the Titan wins.

I would consider professional blog sites to be more reliable than the average, biased, user. Especially since they take a scientific approach to taking the pictures and comparing them to other devices.

spd_rcr

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I would consider professional blog sites to be more reliable than the average, biased, user. Especially since they take a scientific approach to taking the pictures and comparing them to other devices.
:lol:
No-one is more biased than the "professional" reviewers, esp. the blog sites, they're literally suckling from the manufacturers. At least the bigger sites make their money off advertising and attempt to use a standardized testing method.
You're better off looking at the user reviews and simply eliminating the 1's and 5's.

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
My same thoughts exactly while owning both

I like the lightweight as well of the Focus S but I do like the titan. I was going to pick one over the other and keep two of the same (for back up) but I like them both well enough that I think I will keep both. But titan is currently getting all the air time because I just love the screen and as you mentioned the Music controller is broken on F/S.

well that didn't last long...lol

I liked the Titan but the call quality of the Focus S is so superior to it that my clients insist I use it LOL

Love the form factor, the USB power back on bottom and after a few hours without Titan to compare to the F/S screen looks great!

Now Samsung just needs to get the music transport button working. :straight:

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
a lot of them have been, i like gsmarena's reviews for both the focus s and the titan, i read engadget for just being a tech blog and I can see what the latest and greatest is, but I hate their reviews, they are so biased towards apple. they will destroy an android or wp7 product for a certain flaw but if apple has the same flaw, they will just mention it in passing and act like its no big deal.

In any case, I have the focus s and I was playing with a co workers titan. I prefer the samsung because of how thin it is and the samoled+ screen. people are right, it does have a slightly blue-ish tint to the screen but the colors really pop and outdoor readability is great. the HTC overall is a little sturdier because of its build, but also quite a bit thicker and bigger. People knock the galaxy sII in general because of the plastic build quality, but its very high grade plastic. I much prefer plastic to metal because when you drop something with plastic it flexes, or in some cases cracks if its cheap, but metal bends and gets dents and then looks ugly. I accidentally dropped my focus s onto a concrete floor w/o a case it bounced, I couldn't actually find a scratch from the drop on the phone itself and i regularly put the phone in my pocket w/ keys and change and I don't see a single scratch on the screen, gorilla glass is really impressive imo.

I would say more about the titan, but I only played with it for like 5 min, so I can't really say to much about it, but from what I have seen i like the focus s better, still I couldn't blame people for choosing the titan either, it looks like an excellent and very competitive phone as well with some advantages, my only worry with it would be battery life because I have never really been impressed with htc's battery life on their previous phones, although the titan seems to be about as good as the focus s from what I've read

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I was 100% ready to buy a Titan, because I prefer the aluminum design, until I listened to the audio sample on the CNET review (HTC Titan Review - Watch CNET's Video Review). It is unintelligible. No matter what bells and whistles a phone has, at its core, it still has to perform well as a phone. Imagine being on a business conference call with that kind of quality. Or try doing a phone interview for a job. Deal breaker.

I don't understand why more people aren't talking about this as a MAJOR problem with the Titan. All of the reviews mention poor call quality, but only in passing, and they still give the phone a good review. None of the head to head comparisons I have seen have highlighted this, despite the fact that Samsung call quality is 100x better.

My .02

We are talking about this a lot over on the Titan forum. About half of us have problems...some have swapped one Titan for another and found a world of difference. i called HTC from the Titan and he said "well, it sounds like a cell phone on speaker". The guys at Best Buy called each other and pronounced it "just fine". I have asked others and feedback is that is sounds "not that bad" or "ok I guess, for a cell phone).

Agree that just OK is not good enough. When I call my work phone and record voice mail from Titan, it sounds horrendous.

I am over here to see how you all are faring with your Focus S (Foci?). Considering a swap before my 30 days are up...

klocker2

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
We are talking about this a lot over on the Titan forum. About half of us have problems...some have swapped one Titan for another and found a world of difference. i called HTC from the Titan and he said "well, it sounds like a cell phone on speaker". The guys at Best Buy called each other and pronounced it "just fine". I have asked others and feedback is that is sounds "not that bad" or "ok I guess, for a cell phone).

Agree that just OK is not good enough. When I call my work phone and record voice mail from Titan, it sounds horrendous.

I am over here to see how you all are faring with your Focus S (Foci?). Considering a swap before my 30 days are up...

I am in the same boat as you with regard to my Titan and ALSO have a Focus S. I have had the luxury of switching between the two for three weeks now,

I keep trying to "fix" the Titan and as it stands it is merely OK for phone use and exceptional as a mini-tablet device (browsing web, texting, playing games etc.)

But for a work phone with lots of in and out of pocket and or car and excellent call quality and handling in hands all day with ease (form factor, weight)... I keep going back to Focus S as my go to. Bright screen (although side by side except for blacks I prefer titan screen), nearly flawless operation (except for music transport) speaker not as good on F/S but screen scrolls a little more smoothly, call quality is up there with the best phones IMO, good battery life and I get better reception bars. Note, F/S has no LED notifications nor the vibration on call start/end as titan.

Seriously, if I could have a sim card active in both I'd use F/S for weekdays and titan on weekends. :cool:

Last edited:

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you with regard to my Titan and ALSO have a Focus S. I have had the luxury of switching between the two for three weeks now,

I keep trying to "fix" the Titan and as it stands it is merely OK for phone use and exceptional as a mini-tablet device (browsing web, texting, playing games etc.)

But for a work phone with lots of in and out of pocket and or car and excellent call quality and handling in hands all day with ease (form factor, weight)... I keep going back to Focus S as my go to. Bright screen (although side by side except for blacks I prefer titan screen), nearly flawless operation (except for music transport) speaker not as good on F/S but screen scrolls a little more smoothly, call quality is up there with the best phones IMO, good battery life and I get better reception bars. Note, F/S has no LED notifications nor the vibration on call start/end as titan.

Seriously, if I could have a sim card active in both I'd use F/S for weekdays and titan on weekends. :cool:

I took Titan to the store today to compare side by side with Focus S.

I wanted SOOO badly to like the Titan, I really did. The clincher for me was call quality: awful on Titan, crystal clear on Focus S.

IT may be a fluke, but I got three bum Titans- each with a different deal-breaker. Origininal went back for screen freeze-up, which seemed like a very big deal, until second one was worse. Received Titan #2 at 10pm...rebooted itself three times before bedtime, and died completely by 2am. Exchanged again the next morning. By the third one, I got serious about testing call quality. I was not pleased. Recorded numerous messages from Titan to voice mail at work. Icky, muffled - as if I had phone stuffed in a sock or something. Called boyfriend, friends, family...all pronounced it Ok but not great (sounds like speaker....like you're far away...sounds tinny...ehoes).

When I compared to Focus A, the difference was like night and day. Recorded more voicemails to myself. Called some of the same people. It was unanimous: "wow- that IS a lot better...sounds great".

I made the switch. Incredibly complicated (different story for a different day). Buy heartbreaking to let Titan go, but it was just too buggy.

Helped a lot to compare this forum to the Titan forum: pretty obvious difference in the nature, scope, and severity of bugs - with many more problems over on the Titan forum. In contrast, although there were complaints w/ Focus S, there were fewer complaints overall; the range of problems was narrower, and most of them sounded comparatively mild. That is not meant to minimize *anyone's* frustration...it is meant just as an observation of contrast.

After a long afternoon with some amazingly helpful reps from Best Buy and at&t cooperating to help solve a problem none of them created, I am getting acquainted with Focus A, and liking it a lot.

* I am a girl, with very small hands. I loved the huge Titan screen so much that I was willing to live with the pain (insert preferred innuendo here). I am finding the smaller, lighter form factor to be a much better fit: it's not just the size of the tool, it's what you can do with it. Universally true, that...

I am finding the operation to be faster and smoother. Mind you, i had zero complaints about Titan in this regard (other than the widespread carrier signal-strength issues). I thought Titan would be as good as it gets, but instead, I learned how much better it co

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
...disappearing keyboard got me there. Sorry.

By the time I finished with the swap, the Titan, for all it's aluminum beauty, felt heavy and clunky. I will learn over next few weeks whether this was the right choice...so far, it seems to be.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
The reason for the blueish tint on the screen is that on AMOLED screens the blue color component is the first to die on the screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos