Why less issues with Focus S

M

mykllee

I'm wondering why the Focus S seems to be having less issues than the Titan. Specifically if it's a matter of numbers, lot's more people buying Titan, hence more people reporting back in with issues?

A couple of months ago with my Sprint contract being up, I stumbled upon the Windows phone, researched it, and decided to go with on ATT. My wife and daughter both wanted iphones, and I ordered the 1 penny Titan through Amazon. Now when I ordered the phone it seemed the S was having more issues than Titan. Of course I had to wait with Amazon, to the point of being without a phone. So I called and they allowed me to switch to the S. I was very wary, because at the time the S was the phone that seemed to have the most complaints. But I could not be happier with the S, and have no issues, while watching the Titan's problems escalate.

I also was able to talk my oldest into going with the Titan, which she got through ATT. So I've been able to handle both, and while yes, I'd like the bigger screen, I LOVE my S! My daughters Titan does have the issue of her voice sounding somewhat canny, but it's not so bad she would take the phone back.

Coming from an HTC Hero, I was worried about the plastic build, complaints about the flimsy back cover, bluish screen, ect. But these for me, are all non issues. Yes the Titan's white looks better....but I love the blackness of the S, and for me the other colors are better too. The S feels VERY solid, back cover is NOT an issue, and I see having no durability issues with the plastic build. I cannot get over how light the phone is, and love that I don't feel it being carried around in my pocket.

The Windows OS is addicting to me, and I find myself picking up the phone just to play with it. So I've had android, played with the wife's iphone, and could never see myself using either again. Yes, they have some features that Windows doesn't.....but I don't mind waiting.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping me to make an informed decision when I knew absolutely nothing about a Windows phone. I'd only heard they had a crappy phone a while back....how things have changed!

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Glad things worked out for you! I have a Focus S as well and I love it! My brother just got the Titan and he just came from an iPhone 3GS. He misses some things from iOS, but overall he loves it!

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Reading through the various forums, every new smartphone seems to have a few bugs on release. Even the iPhone which Apple spends a year perfecting, has had a few. It's one of the risks of being an early adopter.
HTC has a better track record on fixing issues more quickly than Samsung, probably due to the sheer volume of phones that Samsung releases. Slow updates seem to be a drawback of buying Samsung, though they're still better than Motorola!

M

mykllee

Here's hoping that MS will realize it's in their best interest to keep an eye on the issues, and push Samsung to fix things in a timely fashion. But who knows.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I would hypothesize that the signal issues on the Titan result from the metal unibody design. The Focus S is all plastic (which feels cheap, but is effective), so it doesn't have to worry about it. The audio problem in the Titan is common in all HTC phones, so it probably has to do with the sound enhancing app.

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
i really like my focus s, however, if the titan had gorilla glass and had the $99 sticker, i would have gotten the titan.

but, i don't regret the focus s at all. it really is the nicest device i have ever owned. and that's saying a lot since i have had treos, iphones, a plethora of androids

i only wish there was more development work being done on the focus s, but all attention has been focused on the titan.

M

mykllee

Yes, a lot of attention seems to be on the Titan. That's why I'd really like to see some figures on sales.....it would be interesting to see if Titan is killing it, or maybe it's not that big of a difference over the S.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes, a lot of attention seems to be on the Titan. That's why I'd really like to see some figures on sales.....it would be interesting to see if Titan is killing it, or maybe it's not that big of a difference over the S.

Titan may kill it on sales in first wave, then on returns starting about now. The 30 day window closes for many of us within the few days after Christmas, and plenty of us will have to work things out *before* holiday closures.... travel... etc. So, lots of decisions being made now. Would be interesting to know what might have happened with Titan returns with vs. without the specter of an uber-TITAN LTE on the horizon. Suspect that may sway some who are on the fence: could live with it yet frustrated enough to return it and wait.

I am very happy with the Focus S. Funny, I was only interested in the TITAN. I was already a Windows phone user, so that was a given, but I did not research other devices because I was all about the TITAN. After all the headaches, what a great surprise to discover the Focus S and have it work so well. :)

M

mykllee

Good point on the returns. I too only wanted the Titan. The Focus S has spoiled me in a way I never expected......the lightness of the phone. Oddly enough, that was one of my perceived negatives about it.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Case-mate tough case just came in the mail. Adds just the right heft to the Focus S. Still incredibly thin and light, but no longer fragile-feeling. This thing is great.

Funny, HTC has done (is doing) a great job of selling...Samsung devices...

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Be glad you got the Focus S!! The Titan is a turd. Trying to get out of the restock fees on mine as I type this.

There is no way in tarnation that you should have to pay a restocking fee. To be really concrete about it, how could there be a restocking fee for a bum device that should not be re-sold, let alone re-stocked. Hmmm...

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Good point on the returns. I too only wanted the Titan. The Focus S has spoiled me in a way I never expected......the lightness of the phone. Oddly enough, that was one of my perceived negatives about it.

Even more paradoxically, I think I appreciate the thinner/lighter form factor *even more* after using the TITAN for a couple of weeks! This TITAN-conversion strategy could really work for Samsung!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I may be returning my Titan for a focus s. I told myself I would never go back to HTC after using the EVO 3D. I lied and now I'm regretting it. Its an awesome device, but signal is very weak and neither at&t or HTC have mentioned anything in reference to a fix. I'll probably call at&t tonight and get it swapped out.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 device using Board Express

M

mykllee

Even more paradoxically, I think I appreciate the thinner/lighter form factor *even more* after using the TITAN for a couple of weeks! This TITAN-conversion strategy could really work for Samsung!

So do you find yourself missing the larger screen? I have to admit when looking at my daughters Titan, I still like the size, which was one of the main reasons I wanted Titan.

M

mykllee

I may be returning my Titan for a focus s. I told myself I would never go back to HTC after using the EVO 3D. I lied and now I'm regretting it. Its an awesome device, but signal is very weak and neither at&t or HTC have mentioned anything in reference to a fix. I'll probably call at&t tonight and get it swapped out.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 device using Board Express

You can console yourself with the awesome screen of the Focus S. I'm by no means a power user, so I have my screen optimized at all times. It POPS. My friends are impressed.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So do you find yourself missing the larger screen? I have to admit when looking at my daughters Titan, I still like the size, which was one of the main reasons I wanted Titan.

I thought I would, but I don't. For perspective, I went from 3.7 to 4.7, then back to 4.3..so the net change for me is still from smaller to larger. I might covet the TITAN little if it was right there for perpetual comparison...but now that I have decided to end it, I have moved on without looking back ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo