Considering trading Titan in for Focus S. Thoughts?

hokap

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
So, decided to go w/Titan over Focus S. Like the screen, like the camera, no audio issues. However...it seems my unit has been running hot on several occasions. That along w/the slightly smaller size may be enough for me to return within my 30 days. Tried to do my due diligence before I pulled the trigger, now having 2nd thoughts.

Feedback? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Kdawg1989

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing but rather than trading mine in a just added another line to my account and tried them both side by side after 2 hours a couldn't stand the focus s.. The amoled has a very cold blue tint and tends to ghost.. The bigger issue I had with it was because of the power button being on the side and the way the camera button sticks out so far I couldn't lock/unlock the screen while holding the phone in my right hand without pushing the camera button which instantly wakes the phone back up after unlocking... I wouldn't just send your titan back I would try them both side by side..

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing, tested Titan and focus s side by side for about two weeks. My Titan is now on eBay. The build quality is much higher on the Titan, but otherwise I preferred the focus s. The screen is gorgeous, and I don't notice the blue tint unless I am on a white screen, which is hardy ever. Even then, it doesn't bother me at all. And the trade off, if you can call it that, is more than worth it. The super deep blacks, the amazing pop the screen has, is really great. What really hurt the Titan, in my eyes, was the image degradation when scrolling. Whether it be the main tiles, or text, the images breaking up was quite disappointing. It's nowhere near as bad as on the hd7, but it's still noticeable. Just my opinions of course.

That said, only you can decide which is better If you have the means, test both side by side. Then sell the loser on eBay. I got 430 for my Titan.

Kdawg1989

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
See it all just depends on you different strokes for different folks... You need to try them both side by side the easiest way is to add a line or open a new acct if you don't have a family plan. You will have to pay for what you use but that won't be much if you swap Sims and just use the focus s as your daily driver for awhile... You will have to pay $35 restocking fee but to me it was worth it to make sure the phone I will use for the next year is the right one for me..

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I used the Titan for 30 days and returned it, got a Focus S and I am so glad I got it. I'm enjoying it a lot and couldn't be happier with the switch.

I was having quite a few issues with the reception, wifi strength and the speaker sounding disgusting... I could have tried another Titan, but at the risk of not being able to swap again.

I had the original Focus, have the Galaxy S II and I really enjoy Samsung, so the decision was somewhat an easy one to make. Only thing I do miss was the bigger screen and the fact that I could use the white theme and not worry about the device needing a charge as quickly.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
if you've scanned thru the threads, you see that a few of us traded our Titans in for S's for various reasons...For me it was the muffled sound on calls.

I have no regrets. The Focus S has proven to be a solid performer. There is a slight difference in the screens, but after a while, you wont notice. It took me longer to adjust to the size difference.

The button config is different, and yes the camera button is a slight inconvenience, but I came from the original Focus, so the power button was familiar, and a case will help out with the camera button.

I live in DFW, so network service is a wash, but the call quality is where the real improvement was for me...I can use the S without a Bluetooth headset, without anyone griping about not being able to hear or understand me, whereas on the Titan, I wouldn't dare answer or place a call unless my BT was close by.

I hated to do it, I really liked the Titan, but it has been 2 or 3 weeks for me, and my tears have all dried up. It is totally your call to make, but for me, switching to the S was a good decision.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
This is me wishing the Focus S wasn't US only... It's the first device I saw as a worthy upgrade to my HD7. Sitting up in Canada lonely with no 2nd Gen phones to keep me company...

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Rob41664

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
After using both side by side for about 3 weeks I went back to my Focus S and gave my Titan to my daughter. Ihavent looked back once. Besides the call quality I have been one that accidently tested my durability with a few drops and not even a scratch on my S. My daughter dropped the Titan from about 2 feet onto a hardwood floor and the screen was toast. The plastic body does have its advantages.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My wife owns the Titan, and let me say first she loves it. She loves the feel, screen, size, and LOVES the camera. So temper what I have to say with that.
However, her screen has frozen up, she also has poor call quality, and her battery life is fairly unpredictable. Some days it lasts until 11 pm, some days it is dying when she gets home from work. My Focus S is a blast. I am not in love with the speaker phone, and the camera is great for basic photos. But other than that, there is no weakness. The blue tint argument is when the screen brightness is too high. The performance is flawless, the internet loads like lightning, the call quality is wonderful, there is just very few reasons to not own it. I really think you should give it a try.

Rocket_Girl

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
This is me wishing the Focus S wasn't US only... It's the first device I saw as a worthy upgrade to my HD7. Sitting up in Canada lonely with no 2nd Gen phones to keep me company...

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

From this morning's update on WPCentral News, it looks like there may be some hope for Nokia 700 & 800 north of the border...

Lumia 710 going to Rogers and 800 heading to Telus
(Posted on Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:11 am EST)

spd_rcr

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
To make a fair comparison with the Focus S, you really need to dig into the settings of the Samsung and turn off all the auto-dimming junk so you can really appreciate the display.

Under "brightness" disable "automatically adjust"
Under "extra settings" disable "use auto display intensity"

I end up leaving the brightness at only medium and it is brilliant, the whites are crisp without any noticeable blue tint. If they actually set the phone up like this in the showrooms, AT&T would sell a helluva lot more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99