Where's the "Family Data Unlimited" data?

TheMetro

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I recently picked up on eBay a new Focus S. I plopped in my 4-yo at&t SIM card with its $10 "Family Data Unlimited" plan (recently switched from the older $15 mediaNET unlimited plan), but the cellular data is not working at all. Right now I'm getting data only through WiFi. What gives?! This SIM card was giving me 3G data on my hp Veer and Palm Pixi Plus, but not on my Focus S. Is it because the latter phone is HSPA+? That can't seem to make sense because the Veer is, too. Is there something about Windows Phone 7 that allows at&t block data going through the old mediaNET SIM card? I need a solution, and don't want to walk into AT&T mobility and have them convince me I need to buy their newly increased $20 smartphone data plan. Does IMEI or APN matter here? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Your IMEI goes through their system and they are able to block it that way. Is it an AT&T branded device?

TheMetro

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Your IMEI goes through their system and they are able to block it that way. Is it an AT&T branded device?

Yes, my Focus S is at&t branded. I guess what you're trying to say is that at&t will take a portion of the IMEI number that is common with all at&t-branded Focus S devices and block the cellular data, whether it's 3G or faux G.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, my Focus S is at&t branded. I guess what you're trying to say is that at&t will take a portion of the IMEI number that is common with all at&t-branded Focus S devices and block the cellular data, whether it's 3G or faux G.
Not a portion... Every IMEI for every phone that is AT&T branded is in AT&T's system.

So if you try and use an iPhone/Smartphone on non-smartphone plans w/ an AT&T branded device, AT&T will know.

I had an iPhone data plan and was using the Atrix 4G... I kept receiving emails/sms informing me that I had to call AT&T to update to the correct data plan.

TheMetro

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the info, duvi. Seems at&t has ignored my webOS phones as I continued to take advantage of the old unlimited mediaNET data plan and use same for tethering for the past year. I appear to have few choices: 1) continue to use the Focus S as a WiFi only phone, and plop the SIM card into the Veer when I want to tether, 2) swap Samsungs with a relative who may find the Focus S easier to use than Android and who already has an at&t smartphone data plan with his Galaxy, or 3) waltz into the at&t store, tell them I need data on my new Focus S, get an "upgraded" SIM card that gives me HSDPA speeds, and prepare to pay more per month with that smartphone data plan. By doing the latter, would the Internet Sharing automatically work without at&t's additional "Personal Hotspot" charge?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for the info, duvi. Seems at&t has ignored my webOS phones as I continued to take advantage of the old unlimited mediaNET data plan and use same for tethering for the past year. I appear to have few choices: 1) continue to use the Focus S as a WiFi only phone, and plop the SIM card into the Veer when I want to tether, 2) swap Samsungs with a relative who may find the Focus S easier to use than Android and who already has an at&t smartphone data plan with his Galaxy, or 3) waltz into the at&t store, tell them I need data on my new Focus S, get an "upgraded" SIM card that gives me HSDPA speeds, and prepare to pay more per month with that smartphone data plan. By doing the latter, would the Internet Sharing automatically work without at&t's additional "Personal Hotspot" charge?
You would have to purchase it, according to at&t. There may be other options available if your device is unlocked.

tmotytn

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Also, don't be too quick to assume that you will get faster speeds with a "4G" sim card...Like Duvi, I had my SIM in "the wrong" phone all the time, and since getting a 4G SIM, I cant swear to it being any faster than it ever was with a 3G SIM...

I will say that my Atrix was faster than the OG Focus with a 3G sim but I pulled my 4G sim out of my Focus S this past week and put it into my Atrix for a few days, and I was disappointed to see that it wasn't any faster than it was with the older sim.

The Rep at the store will give you the company line about speed being affected by the sim and the plan that you are on...yada yada...but I can tell you real world experience says otherwise...

TheMetro

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Well, my friend at the at&t mobility store told me to call customer service, because the store cannot unlock phones. So I called at&t's 1-800 number, and after giving them my IMEI they refused to unlock it. (It was bought off eBay and I still have not yet "registered" the phone with at&t.) I suppose I can bite the bullet and have at&t hitch up my Focus S to a legit data plan. Do I have any alternatives? Since carrier unlock won't work, are there any good ways for me to unlock the phone? The at&t lady on the phone had suggested I contact Samsung directly.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I had an odd siuation with AT&T the other day. I have a regular AT&T account on my primary personal phone, my Nokia N8. I also have a pay as you go AT&T sim card for my work phones, an unbranded/unlocked GSM Trophy and an unbranded/unlocked GSM Galaxy SII. I switch the pay as you go sim card between the two work phones.

The other day AT&T cut off data on my pay as you go sim card. I called them and they wanted the serial number off the Galaxy SII. I explained that i switch work phones and also had a primary AT&T account for my personal phone. They had me shutoff my Galaxy SII and called me back on my primary AT&T account. They then switched the data back on to my pay as you go sim card. It was really odd to say the least.

I am still switching the pay as you go sim card between the Galaxy SII and the Trophy and haven't had any problems since.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett